Racing History Minute - August 23, 1958

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

The physical location on this planet for RacersReunion Headquarters in Myrtle Beach, SC. That area of South Carolina is also the location of what is now known as Myrtle Beach Speedway BUT when the track opened for its first race on August 23, 1958, it was known as Rambi Raceway. A half mile dirt track of fast configuration surrounded by woods and somewhat of a swamp.

The first race on the track is the subject of our "Minute" today. The half-mile dirt track was set for 200 laps/100 miles for which 21 cars showed up to qualify. When qualifying was over, Speedy Thompson in a Chevy was on the pole with a speed of 66.667 mph. Shorty Rollins would start second, Junior Johnson third, Joe Weatherly fourth and Buck Baker fifth.

Joe Weatherly, starting outside second row, got tangled up with traffic on the start and was given credit for one lap. Richard Petty, still in the very early stages of his career was running in the top ten when his Oldsmobile sailed off turn three and into one of the "ponds" off the turn. Richard was thoroughly soaked and he was out of the race as they fished his car from the pond. That turn would later come to be known as "alligator alley" but Richard did NOT report an enounter with a gator that race.

Pole winner, Thompson, broke an axle and parked his Chevy on lap 166. Bob Welborn, who had been in contention as usual, took the lead and held off a hard-charging Buck Baker and Shorty Rollins for the win. This was only Welborn's 14th start of the season and was his fifth win.

Top five finishers:

1. Bob Welborn, Julian Petty Chevrolet, winning $800.00

2. Buck Baker, Baker Chevrolet, winning $525.00

3. Shorty Rollins, Rollins Ford, winning $350.00

4. Tiny Lund, Ford, winning $250.00

5. Lee Petty, Petty Engineering Oldsmobile, winning $225.00

Sixth through tenth were Fred Harb, Junior Johnson, Bob Walden, George Dunn and Bill Poor. Speedy Thompson would be credited with 15th, Richard "Kingfish" Petty with 16th, Roy Tyner 17th, Gene White 18th, Neil Castles 20th and Joe Weatherly 21st.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Brief race report from The Dispatch of Lexington NC.

About a year and a half after this race, the NASCAR Grand National drivers raced at Darlington in the 1960 Rebel 300. Rains interrupted the race, and the remainder was scheduled 2 weeks later. For reasons I don't know, Welborn claimed he was retiring from racing. He didn't return to Darlington to drive the rest of the Darlington race. Jim Paschal took over and finished 7th - though Welborn was credited with the spot. As it turns out, Welborn's retirement was short-lived. He raced 4 more times in 1960 and about 50 more times over the next 4 seasons.

Source: The News and Courier

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/23/17 10:04:18AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

After running a few more times in 1960 after "retiring", Welborn returned to Daytona in February 1961. During the Daytona 500, he needed a relief driver. And who stepped in to assist? The future King Richard Petty. Remember - the Pettys didn't start the race as both cars were lost during the 100-mile twins.

But Richard stayed near the track - and likely near a phone awaiting updates on his father's condition. So while he didn't START the 1961 Daytona 500, he did race about 50 laps in it as an assist to Welborn.

Source: Daytona Beach Morning Journal

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Fascinating stories about Welborn's retirement plans.

How about Coastal Jack Walker... were you at this 1958 Rambi race?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Tim - I'm sure your post is in reference to the first Grand National race on the new track known at Rambi Raceway. The track actually opened for it's "first race" on June 7th, 1958. That race was a Nascar Sportsman event won by Earl Moss. Also, a little earlier than the Grand National race was a Convertible Division race held on July 27th, 1958. The Convertible race was also won by Bob Welborn.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Dave - I'm pretty sure I did go to the Grand National race,but I just don't recall much about it.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts
And Welborn's cars for both wins were fielded by Julian Petty.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Tim - I borrowed liberally from your text to craft a blog post re: Welborn's win.

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2015/08/august-23-1958-bob-welborn-wins-myrtle.html

--