Seeking Original Owner -- 1966 NASCAR Car Hauler

Ramblin Randy
@ramblin-randy
6 years ago
4 posts

My old hauler is a real beauty... made in 1966 and was customized by Holman Moody. Holman did 12 total haulers in this similar style I'm told. Looking for that one person who knows something about these old rigs.

I purchased the rig off of the Hagerstown Speedway a few years ago. The title said it last changed hands in 1976. In the late 70's and 80's the speedway sponsored Bobby Allison. I'm told Mr Allison would race a NASCAR event one week and if the $$$$$ was good he'd be racing a dirt track the next week. On a side note I asked my old landlord Bucky who raced at the Hagerstown Speedway if he ever raced against Allison, and he shot back: "Yes I did, and I beat him... I had rent due that week...!"

I have photos of Bobby's #22 car on the back of this exact truck in the 1980's so that fact is proven. My wish is to find who this truck was assigned to when it was built in 1966. Any productive leads or photos greatly appreciated. There is what some call some Petty Blue paint under the front fender wells... that sorta added to the mystique when I purchased the truck in 2004.

2017_search.jpg
2017_search.jpg  •  275KB

updated by @ramblin-randy: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
David Wayne Taylor
@david-wayne-taylor
6 years ago
2 posts

There were at least two haulers with similar description in the late 60's. H-M had one painted in blue and gold to match the David Pearson #17 and Junie Donlavey had an Acapulco Blue and White one with your same paint scheme in 1968.  Don't know if Junie got it new, or bought it from another racer.

Ramblin Randy
@ramblin-randy
2 years ago
4 posts

[quote="David Wayne Taylor"]

Junie Donlavey had an Acapulco Blue and White one with your same paint scheme in 1968.  Don't know if Junie got it new, or bought it from another racer.
[/quote]

David... I recently found this photo of Junie's hauler.  I have word from a former employee that Junie built the hauler..!

In doing a ton of research I traced ownership back to McClure Ford in 1973-1974 and they came to Richmond in the summer of 1973 to purchase the truck.  The family member I spoke to was only 21 at the time and doesn't remember who they bought the truck from that day, other than it was painted red.   So who in the Richmond region raced with this truck..???

JunieDonlavey.jpeg
JunieDonlavey.jpeg  •  100KB