Are Y'all Familiar With These Parts?

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Alright, I have a friend that although they live in the Carolinas (North) has never heard of eating pigs feet, chitlins, cracklins, ears, souse meat, tails or pretty much anything other than Bacon. I said ... I would not mention any names...LOL But they are a member at RR, so...could some of my Southern Folk...please chime in on some of your eating habits (past or present). So, this person can actually see that it exists. Bless their heart....they have never even eaten Vienna Sausage..and wanted to know what a Moon Pie was?? Please...help educate this person...and ...uh....Bobby Allison, David Pearson...we love ya! It is racin' related.....

updated by @patsy-thompkins-keisler: 12/05/16 04:10:12PM
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

See there...you said "She"...LOL!!! Bless her heart...LOL!!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Thank you, Mama...

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Oh....and salted peanuts...in my Pepsi...I love that!!!

JAck Redd
@jack-redd
12 years ago
111 posts

Knowing and having worked ona pig farm in my youth,there is also another part (which I never have eaten) of a pig that some people eat. I will not mention it, but to give you a clue, it is the coldest part of a man body - hint -"two below".

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

While I consider myself somewhat of an adventurous eater, I do have my limits. I've sampled some of the um, uh, ahem interesting parts of the pig. But can't say any were delicacies that I sought frequently thereafter (except for bacon).

I think folks often figured ways to use every pork part out of necessity vs. preference. Let's dress up the guts and give it a cool name no one will ever connect to the anatomy - CHITTLINS! (and stop with the corporate spelling of chitterlings.) Over the decades when money was hard to come by, it was likely far easier to stretch the food options as far as possible.

Call me elitist if you will, but I can now afford NOT to eat some of those more choice parts. Bacon - love it. Sausage - enjoy it here and there. Pork tenderloin - tremendous. Pieces and parts and spices shoved into casings - ehh, in the right situation I'm there. But the rest of it? Fuhgetaboutit.

But I did have a co-worker who was more midwestern than southern - he was from Kansas City. He used to have me in stitches with stories of his upbringing. He said his family went whole hog on eating the pig. Figured a way to consume it all. He used to say "We ate it from the rooter to the tooter."

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

You got to tell them what mountain oysters are Jack, and no they arent hiding under a rock in the creek thats cold as ice

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

A trip to the local Piggly Wiggly before you set out to the track on any given weekend was for the staples of: Vienna Sausage,Potted Meat,Bag of Fried Pork rinds and A loaf of bread with a bottle of hot sauce. I swear it would make the car a little faster,at least to get back in to that place out behind the barn..------------------------------memories

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

You, my dear JAck...are killing me here..LOL I remember when we raised pigs, and it came that time, the kids would chase them down...and off they came with a box cutter..and then cover it up with that blue ointment or medicine...whatever it was..LOL

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Never quite heard it called "rooter to tooter" LOL But I do know, that it was a means of what you could, and could not afford. There were many times, when my Momma who worked in a Cotton Mill...had to do the best she could with 5 children. We didn't complain, we just ate it. But there again...like I've always said...Momma could have boiled a dishrag..and made it taste like Chicken and Pastry! No, I don't eat like that anymore. BUT....Momma taught me how to survive...should the need ever arise...and for that I AM grateful....

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I know, Johnny....I would have never thought about going to the track without those goodies!! And for some reason....they always tasted better there, than at home...LOL

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Dont have to Ma--you just did ..!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Mama...said....we don't want to "bite em"....LOL!!! I love you, Mama!! LOL!!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Pork rinds fried trackside by one of the 'gypsy' souvenir vendors at Bristol & thrown in a paper bag. Yes, now THAT was some good eatin!

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Good Lord, TMC...you are starvin' me...LOL!!

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
12 years ago
242 posts

In the early 40s there was a soft drink called a "Tiny" it was a grape flavored drink 5 ounces and sold for 3 cents.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
12 years ago
3,119 posts

She is obviously someone from up north!!!! lol. But welcome, whomever you are, to our world here at RacersReunion.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
12 years ago
209 posts

Johnny. You forgot the Sardines and Saltines.

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
12 years ago
209 posts

That was a Grapette Jim.

]

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I obviously slept in, or I would have smelled the fragrance of pork earlier!

When I managed a Wrangler Jeans plant in the far northeastern North Carolina town of Windsor, I used to have to give many of my ladies a couple of days off the first several really cold days of late fall/early winter for hog killing time at their family farms. This was peanut country and those hogs rooted in the peanut fields all year.

When I married, my father-in-law owned some hogs. I have written previously about getting tangled up in the electric fence surrounding the hog compound and thinking I was being attacked by a nest of mad snakes!

I love them cracklins. Back in the 80s, I used to take a crew of fellas from Wilson, NC down to Darlington to cook pigs for the media and sponsors and drivers. Last time I saw Fireball Roberts' brother, Tommy, he was wearing a Wrangler Southern 500 Pig Pickin' tee shirt.

My mentor at Wrangler in Wilson had a son who ate a souse sandwich for lunch every day. I could not do that.

My father-in-law made homemade sausage and that I dearly loved, as well as the tenderloin biscuits for breakfast that my wife fixed. Haven't tried any of those ears, feet, snouts or a few other parts (knowingly), but I do love my Vienna sausages.

When I lived in Wilson it was difficult to keep me away from the BBQ establishments operated by the Parkers, Bill's and Cherry's. Love that "whole hog" que!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

You just reminded me of something, Dave. When I was carrying Sara Jean...or was it Jeremy..I don't rightly remember. But, anyway...that was all I craved was souse meat sandwiches or on saltines, with some good ole hoop cheese...Lord...DO ..have mercy!!!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Oh...when you and I start getting out and about....we will find some of those GONADS...AND BITE EM!!! LOL

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's what I'm talking about! An eastern NC pig pickin' - save some of that skin for me boys!

I hopepklis gonna send us a Pig Pickin' Cake for dessert!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Must be that big, ole full moon that's to blame!

Shame on the moon!

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Tommie,You are right on them lil Fishies in the tin with that juice and good ole staple Saltine crackers. And a big ole RC Cola and a Moon Pie for reckons sake.

Been a long time since I dabbled in this back on the farm food we talking about.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Yep... they even got songs about those pig joints down 'round Johnny Mallonee's neck of the woods!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

The souse on the left - Pender's Brand - is the Richard Brickhouse, Pender County Raceway style from Rocky Point, NC. The souse on the right, Neese's from Greensboro, NC, is what my friend's son always made his souse sandwiches with.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

The photos of those two iconic North Carolina souse brands are purely educational. I don't eat the stuff myself!

The historic stock car racing connection is easily established, with the Pender's manufactured in Richard Brickhouse's hometown and the Neese's up the road from Richard Petty's... the two main players in the inaugural Talladega Grand National race in 1969.

When Patsy's friend clicks on the photo to enlarge it, she'll see all the "wholesome" ingredients in the souse loaf!

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Oh..my Lord, yes!! Good Lord, I enjoy a good Pig Pickin'!!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

And this...my dear friends...ain't nothing, but the truth...to me, anyway~

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I just posted this on my Page the other day, Dave! I had everything I could buy...that this man sang....LOVE ME SOME BOB!!

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
12 years ago
242 posts

South Carolina BBQ

I am a Sotharolina Master Certified BBQ Judge'

Click on link, that will give you BBQ History.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

All BBQ roads lead to Wilson, NC, home of old tobacco barns and several world famous que joints, including Parkers on U.S. Highway 301, almost directly across the road from the old Wilson County Speedway. Looks like these boys have left Georgia coming up I-95 North, passed through South Carolina and waved to Pedro at South of the Border in their quest to drive to BBQ Holy Land in Wilson.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Now, if ya ain't full when you finish at Parkers, just take a right turn out of the parking lot onto Highwy 301 and another immediate right onto Lovers Lane. Go 'bout a half-mile 'til you get to Downing Street. Bill Ellis BBQ & Chicken Restaurant will be on yer right. At the end of the buffet line is a couple of whole hogs you can just reach over to and pull you off some skin. Ummmmmmmmmmmmm!

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Jim, thank you! That pretty much explains it all. And the mustard sauce, I had once when we had gone down for a week on the Santee Cooper River. There was some place right off 95. I didn't find it bad at all, but not something I would want on a regular basis. I am just a Vinegar and hot sauce, gal. I guess the Germans loved their mustard, just like they put mustard in their potato salad. My husband's family derived from that area....hence the name...Keisler. I have heard them speak of another food that I think must have come from down there as well. Something called Hash...are you familiar with that? Never had it..just heard of it...And congrats...good to know we have a SOUTH CAROLINA MASTER CERTIFIED BBQ JUDGE!!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Ed Mitchell is a Wilson native who has won pitmaster competitions all over the world. When the IRS shut down his Wilson restaurant for failure to pay taxes, he just moved to Raleigh and opened The Pit, which seems to fascinate the Travel Channel folks:

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

And I got to have some good Brunswick stew with my cue!

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

No, that makes perfect sense to me now, Mama!

LOL...funny thing is....I grew up on leftovers..if there were any. And I am not trying to sound "pitiful" here, but the only place I even remember eating Roast was at Granny and Papa's when I was young.

When I was a little, little girl we raised hogs, cows and chickens, but that was during my very early years. This will make sense to some later, I suppose, but there were some scarce years to follow. Later..I remember Momma cooking Roasts.

But there was always potatoes, and Momma would make pancakes out of them or, just put in in the oven with cheese on top. Now, I do love Corned Beef Hash..but "HE" won't eat it.

In fact the funny thing is "HE" won't eat any leftovers. But, he always bragged on his Granny's hash...so I didn't know. I guess that was how she fooled them into eating leftovers. At my house, you didn't have to fool us into eating anything! LOL

Another thing Momma used to fix, which I suppose was totally different from everybody else was "her" form of Goulash. Who knew...it was supposed to have meat in it? Momma would always just open up some tomatoes and break up old biscuits throw them in with a little sugar...and there you go. GOULASH!!

However, I have been corrected by "HIM" that "HIS" family's Goulash has meat in it. So, I guess....even though we lacked the meat...we still got fed and there was NOTHING wrong with Momma's cooking..LOL

Like I said..she could boil a dishrag...and make it taste good!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Kinda..like The Cooking Channel!! LOL

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Fascinated me too! I took a group of boy scouts and adults to The Pit on the way to the Outer Banks for a week of sea kayaking about 3 years ago. Our table put a hurtin' on a serious amount of pulled pork, ribs, fixins, and "sway tay".

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

THIS IS ALMOST LIKE the show Diners--delis and Dives on the Food Channel

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Well I'm not a transplant since I spent most of my military career in N.C. and, I don't consider myself a Yankee since I'm a midwestern boy from Michigan (anyone from Ohio was southerners to us.) I have many Southern friends and I've tried all the above at one time or another. Though the name "Little Debbie Double Decker Deluxe Mooooon Pie" sounds good I never acquired the taste for them, however, I have grown to like grits, greens, and Carolina barbecue.

As for pickled pigs feet, *hitlins, and slippery slimy bald okra, I'm out. As a kid from a large family light on cash we ate a lot of cow tonque, liver, cow heart, pickled sucker, frog legs, and thousands of bluegills. We all grew up eating things others would frown on but, I'll try anything once. How about we all go out and get some fried chicken gizzards for lunch, now that's sumpin we can all indulge in.

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
12 years ago
222 posts

its funny you mentioned bbq and fried chicken dave i went to wilson about 6 oclock and got chicken from parkers then went to bills and picked up some gizzards yum yum

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Patty, you know the old saying "You can take the boy or girl out of the country but, you can't take the country out of boy or girl." We are who we are, I was raised on Great Northern Beans, corn on the cob, game meat and lots and lots of pan fish. Mom even cooked a raccoon once, a little greasy but the meat fell off the bone. Wild rabbit, squirrel, and venison were staple foods. Since I couldn't shoot flying objects pheasants never ended up on the table. I will say that I've eaten pigs feet only when cooked in a pot of field beans. The older I get the more I revert back to the foods I grew up on, I miss bean soup, split pea soup, goulash, and shepard's pie. Since my wife loathes liver we don't cook it but, I'll have some if offered.

It's all good food, whether from the German roots of the north to the Scottish roots of the south, I'll sit at anyone's table and sample the fixins'.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Awww, Jim...those are awesome!!!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Mama, I don't think you'll get too many "ewww" on the innards, with this crowd. Personally, I love..love ....love em!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Gotta love a man, who goes and eats Chicken...and then stops, and gets some more Chicken on the way home!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Jim, what in the world is "pickled sucker?"

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Pickled sucker are any sucker, the hognose, white, black, red sucker fish that you could spear in the spring. They averaged about 16 inches long,. Mom would cut them up into nuggets and pickle them just like you would pickling cucs, and Dad would fillet them out and smoke em' in a homemade smoker made out of an old refrigerator. A lot of folks thought of suckers as trash fish, like carp which is false, suckers only live in cold clean water. I won't go as low as eating carp, they ARE nasty.

Note: the rabbits are good ol' northern fat bunny's and that blue cat is out of the Pee Dee River, the best cat I've ever eaten.

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
12 years ago
242 posts

IN South Carolina Hash is the main "side dish". I will tell you what hash is made of or how it is made. Racers Reunion Form is a family Message Board. LOL

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Wow... I could smell bbq all night last night. Wanted some so badddddddddddddddd. I envy your proximity to those places, Charles.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Jim, I know Pkl has discounted herring during the course of this post, but I am here to tell you they can be delicious.

Back in the early 70s, I used to take all the mechanics and managers at our eastern North Carolina Wrangler plants over to the Chowan river in April when the herring were "running" coming up the river in droves to spawn.

We used to rent a hunting lodge at Mt. Gould, NC, just down the river from Colerain, the one-time site of the world's largest pickled herring factory.

Those mechanics had all sorts of homemade herring cookers. The secret, of course, was to keep adding plenty of Budweiser to the batter used to lightly bread the herring. Take a sip of beer, pour some beer in the batter.

Those experts would break the back of the herring and cut off the head, leaving the tails on. When they came out of the cookers, you ate them bones and all. Delicious.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Maybe we ought to consider taking up a collection and have our two Jims on this post fix bbq and fish at our next RR gathering.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Did you know that in 56 days and a few minutes you can put those greasy plates away and wipe your hands before you touch the remote --------------------------because its green flag time AGAIN

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Back home we caught Smelt much the same way but deep friend them, head, guts and all and ate them like french fries. Pickled Herring is delicious too, same principle, leave the bones in them, gut em' removed the head and fins for pickling but leave the skin and fins on for smoking. I have my Dad's old hand written smoking recipe framed at the house.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Baked or fried?

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Fried...most definitely!!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I'm all for that, Dave!! And Jeff, has been AMAZED with this Thread!!! He too, was brought up on Hog Parts...such as me....who knew??

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Fried

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Be very careful, Patsy. Don't let that Gilder fella fool ya and slip a tough ole goat onto Jim Streeter's bbq setup. He and that Chase fella over round Nashville are just cagey enuff to even try to smuggle some fresh water Drum from the Cumberland River across the Carolina borders!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Wonder what's on the menu these daze at that NHOF?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Folks, here are a few scenes from the Chowan River in eastern North Carolina where we used to go herring "dipping" back in the 70s. I believe that is the Right Rev. Stagger leading the choir!

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
12 years ago
222 posts

dave a freind and me went to plymouth a few years ago and put nets out for herring we caught about 400 fish i love fried herring i also salted some of them then later i tried to eat then and they were to salty i guess i didnt soak them long enough but the fresh ones were fantabulous

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

When I was a kid, mom would fry either salt herring or salt mackerel every Saturday morning for breakfast. Stunk up the whole house! I'd drink water all day on Saturday.

Charles, you were in Shelton McNair #M-1 country in Plymouth! Here's Shelton at Wilson County Speedway in 1976 in this Tim Hamm photo.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Lordy mercy, 8 pages - EIGHT - of comments on pig parts? And counting? Wow. C'mmmmonnnn Speedweeks. Ha ha

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Herring quit running up the Chowan River. River filled up with algae blooms due to fertilizer runoff from "factory" farms.

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Patsy has found the link that binds us all together....food. Food and racing go hand in hand as well, it has become my ritual that I stop in Lake View, SC at the Mom & Pops burger joint for my fix of a freshly ground beef hamburger, fries, and a chocolate shake spun the old fashion way with stainless steel cup and a mixer. If I don't eat a good meal before I race I don't feel I'll have the energy to be competitive for the main event. Food is as important to racing as any part or tool.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Panthers downed New Orleans, waiting for Skins to topple Cowpokes.

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

I've heard a lot about the bologna burger but haven't tried one. Some might say "That's a bunch of baloney!"

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

By the way, the host of SpeedEats, Matthew Dillner (Bob's baby brother) is from Huntington, NEW YORK.

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Well there's got be some part of the pig in baloney which would make it relevant to the forum.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

NEW YEAR'S EVE
NEW YORK CITY WILL DISPLAYED THE NEW YEAR 2013 CRYSTAL BALL.
MOBILE,ALABAMA WILL DISPLAYED (LOWER IT UP & DOWN) THE BIG "MOON PIE" SIGN FOR THE FIFTH YEAR.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

"My next question would be, WTH makes pig parts relevant to this Forum?" Patsy's opening sentence..."I have a friend that although they live in the Carolinas (North) has never heard of eating pigs feet, chitlins, cracklins, ears, souse meat, tails or pretty much anything other than Bacon."

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
12 years ago
222 posts

used to travel to yhe outer banks once a week always stopped to visit shelton and talk racing also stopped at mackeys ferry to buy some of those herrings donnie head drove sheltons car 2 seasons and won a lot of races at wilson speedway thanks for the picture dave next time i get bbq i will eat some for you dave

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
12 years ago
222 posts

ok my rr freinds i forgot to mention this delecacy turtle stew how many of you have ever tried this dish

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

There again...is another "part"....and "parts is parts." Anything that is a "nugget" is a part! And you know..people DO eat chicken feet as well.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Who cares, Jim....let er....RIP!!! LOL!!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Lord...have mercy, I am getting lost. I am trying to find ??? Jim Streeter or Charles Stocks...LOL

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Is that the same thing as "cooter soup" Jim?

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Oh...MY..how COOL is that?? Is Alabama the home of "Moon Pie?"

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Good gracious no. Chattanooga by-cracky Tennessee is the home of the Moon Pie. Chattanooga Baking. I lived there 9 years. Its also the home McKee Foods - makers of Little Debbies. (Technically, McKee is in Collegedale TN - but just a skip outside the city limits.)

And each June, Bell Buckle TN here in middle Tennessee hosts the Annual RC Cola and Moon Pie Festival.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RC-MOON-PIE-FESTIVAL/107875522576493

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

How 'bout a couple of pig part cars driven by Sam Ard & Ray Hendrick to keep it relevant, lol!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Yep, that is low. Here's a winning pig part car - the Carlton Lamm owned Chevelle driven by Dennis Smith and sponsored by Carlton's old Barbecue Barn Restaurant that won the 1974 Southern Late Model 200 at Wilson County Speedway. That was a "whole hog" bbq car!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

You'd need some wine to get down that Lexington-style BBQ over by Childress' - all slathered in tomato sauce. YUK.

--
Wayne Wilson
@wayne-wilson
12 years ago
39 posts

One of the replies mentioned chicken feet. In the mid sixties I ran a delivery route to Charleston, SC and through the low country. The plant threw the feet away. I would box them up and sell them for $2.50 a case. They made chicken and rice, chicken soup, or dried them and used them in voodoo rituals. Made pretty good extra cash selling chicken feet.

JAck Redd
@jack-redd
12 years ago
111 posts

I use "Chicken Legs" to catch "Crabs" from the Chesapeake Bay inlets! There is nothing like the "Maryland Steamed Crabs! That is no "baloney"! lol I love them "SoBo Baloney Burgers" too!

Now we've gone from "Pigs" to "Chickens" to "Crabs"! LOL

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

MoonPies

The Moon Pie

Description

Moon Pies are by description, marshmallow filling between two pieces of cake. Moon Pies are in actuality, not. The substance in the center remains a mystery, but the outer cookie-esque layers are a rare combination of graham cracker and cardboard (the cardboard gives it its nice, flakey consistency).

Moon Pies come in two flavors: Yellow and Brown. The package might say Bananaor chocolate, but trust me on this the flavorsare yellow and brown.

Consumption

There are certain requirements for a Moon Pie to truly be aMoon Pie. Most of them have to do with the overall experience more than the taste.
  • Must be purchased from the shelf of a gas station
  • Iscuriouslydry
  • Theouter layer must stick to the wrapper when opened
  • Must be consumed with an R.C. Cola
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

This makes NO sense to me..LOL And does it say that "we in NC need a 12-Step Program" for our Fryin' Habits?? If SO, I may have a new job...LOL!!I mean...REALLY???

Meanwhile, in North Carolina, stealing any unused cooking oil worth more than $1,000 (including the cost of its container) will now be considered a felony. This law goes into effect January 2013. Seriously? This is the best law we could come up with? Eh, tax money's gotta go some place!
http://http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/new-year-welcomes-oddball-state-laws/

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

they come in flavors too

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
12 years ago
222 posts

i have heard it referedas both stew and soup the stews i have eaten had about the same ingrediants as fish stew of course the only diffrence being turtle instead of fish

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
12 years ago
222 posts

i understand patsy i get my wires crossed up every now and then myself lol

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
12 years ago
222 posts

thats what im talkin bout

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Aint no turtles at a race track----exceptin Turtle Beam

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

As the song goes --Sung by Foghat----SLOW RIDE,TAKE IT EASY

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

As Pat Benatar said in her song "Hit me with your best shot--Fire Away"

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Oh no Mama just opened up --now we got Ducks in the game

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

I didn't think about that, Mama! And I guess I would have no reason to..LOL Now..nobody has answered my question yet. I asked was "cooter soup, and turtle soup" the same thing? I can't be the only one here that has heard of it.....

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Posted on a New York radio station website:

After spending time in Central Pennsylvania, the ball drop in New York City seems kind of boring! How can you beat the dropping of a stuffed goat in Falmouth, PA or even an Indy car in Carlisle, PA?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Yessir, I remember dangling Chicken legs on a string in the Chesapeake down in Tidewater, Va. to catch crabs and watching the construction of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We always had Chesapeke Bay Blue Crab, Rappahannock River Oysters, Smithfield Ham and a Turkey for Christmas dinner.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

And, by golly, I guess we all remember the Wood Brothers Cup car being sponsored by Tennessee's Little Debbies, but do you remember this Tennessee sponsor on "Terrible" Tommy Ellis' Busch car?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Years before Herman "The Turtle" Beam, there was a racer of sizable girth in the Richmond area in the late 40s and early 50s known as "The Whale" - also noted for many last place finishes.

He is referenced in the 1951 Crazy Joe Maphis song "Racing at Royall Speedway" (today's Southside Speedway ) in the line that includes the words "The Whale should have stayed at home!"

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

She is named Joyce!

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Never got that explanation..makes sense. You are my educator as well, as my Mama! Thank you, mam....

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I have just learned (via the Upcoming Events section of the Charlotte paper) that tomorrow, Saturday, January 12th, is HOG BUTCHERING DAY at Historic Brattonsville in McConnells, South Carolina.

Admission is $6 - $5 for Seniors and $3 for kids 4-17.

Witness the time-honored process of butchering and preserving the meat, and learn why pork was so important for the survival of early settlers. Period butchering, preservation, cooking demonstrations and soap making will occur throughout the day; barbecue lunch will be available beginning at 11:30a.m.

LINK BELOW:

http://www.chmuseums.org/event/1295/

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I had never eaten tenderloin until I was married living near father-in-law's hogs. I wanted tenderloin biscuits every morning. Joyce finally explained there was not an infinite supply of tenderloin on a hog!

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts
You want to see a BIG smile on the faces of the men...in my Big Sister's Family?? Just tell them ..that I am coming over to make them a breakfast of homemade biscuits and tenderloin. I knock out so many Christmas Presents that way...LOL
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts
Dave, can you imagine our Ancestors looking down at this? I would imagine, they are either laughing, or very proud. I remember my Great-Great Aunt Mary, who lived in Benson, NC. She was an "Old Maid", and even after..I was born and can remember, she continued to make her lye soap. She did NOT like inside running water,even though she had it. When it came time to wash dishes, you had to go out to the pump and bring in a pan, heat it up and then use it. Everything was clean, and pristine. The Pie Safe always had at least one pie and cold biscuits in it. She never changed the time on her clock! She said that she lived on "God's" time. Thank you, for sparking my memory..you AND Mama....
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

You surely fix some gravy and grits with that breakfast don't you, Patsy?

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts
Jeff...you don't know GOOD...until you have had my Grits & Gravy..Boss Man!!
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Patsy, I am so glad you mentioned Benson, NC. I used to have many occasions to drive through Benson and once got caught up and delayed by the Mule Days Parade . I once mentioned that on this forum and some New York transplant to Georgia had the nerve to question whether there was in fact a Mule Days celebration. I won't say her name here to avoid the embarrassment she would endure again. I long ago decided to let her knowledge of racing and cooking overcome her lack of knowledge about Benson Mules!

http://www.bensonmuledays.com/

I actually "borrowed" a yellow & red advertising banner from the Ford dealership in Benson in the late 60s that read "You're Ahead in a Ford." My buddies and I changed the banner to read "You're a FOOL in a Ford" and flew it over our tent several years at Darlington on Southern 500 weekend!!!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Well, this old geezer can't claim to have ever plowed behind a mule, but my dad did as a youngster.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

We share something else in common!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Driving from Wilson, NC to Raleigh, we used to pass through Knightdale on U.S. 64 (same road as Lizard Lick) until a bypass was built several years ago.

Here's a blog from WRAL-TV in Raleigh. I suspect you can figure which street we passed in Knightdale would get the attention of my daughters!

Bill Leslie's Carolina Conversations - WRAL-Television, Raleigh
"People are always asking me where to take vacation. Whats a cool place? Whats the most scenic drive?" WRAL News Anchor Bill Leslie attempts to answer those questions and others in his Carolina Conversations blog.

Strange street names

Posted: May 5, 2010
Friend and long-time WRAL colleague Kevin Shand suggested we do a blog about street names. What is the strangest name youve seen on a street, road, boulevard or highway sign? And what does it take to get a road named after you?

Theres a Possum Trot Road in the mountains. I laugh every time I drive by Roach Ranch Road near Jordan Lake. When I was a young television reporter there was a funny road name in Knightdale. Jackass Road was named in honor of a mule trader. In 1987 image conscious town leaders voted to change the name to Knight Road.

Former WRAL Anchorman Charlie Gaddy has a street named after him in Cary. It runs by the library. Former Cary Mayor Koka Booth once said he would work to give me a street name but it would probably have to be in Chatham County! (home of Winding Wayne and Dennis Andrews by the way)

I once lived on Chimney Rock Road in Houston. The terrain was flat as a pancake and really made no sense.

Siler City has a Sewer Plant Road. Thats a very practical name but I dont think Id want to live there. (again, Winding Wayne and Dennis country)

What is your favorite street name? Surprise and delight us!

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

I lived on Chickenfoot Road, up in Grays Creek. But now, I am down at the Beach, and there is Boones Neck, and Oxpen....

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Everytime I see Boones Neck...I think of Neck Bones, which is something else I grew up on. I love .... Neck Bones, especially cooked in a pot of rice...

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Some folks of a certain generation might be reminded of Boone's Farm, the cheap wines marketed to youngsters that swept the nation in the late 60s/early 70s, especially the famed Fuzzy Navel flavor!

--
Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
11 years ago
209 posts

I once lived in North, South Carolina. Then there is Ninety Six, S. C., Ducktown, TN. Cecil Gordon once lived in Flat Rock, N C.

Speaking of Cecil. When in the 60's and 70's the Cup cars would go to Riverside Calif. to race and Cecil would always bring me a case of Coor's Beer. You could not buy it on the east coast.

Back to names. Yeehaw Junction, FL., Bare Beach, FL.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

Tommie, I've been to Ducktown, TN....many times. Have you been to Frog Level.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

been to frog level tn to a logging company it was just off i/26

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Was just talking about Boone's Farm the other week.....along with Malt Duck....

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
11 years ago
209 posts

Don't believe so Jeff. What part is it in?

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

JM is right. It just east of Erwin, TN on i 26 there in the mountains...or rather between them. As one might expect Frog Level is "low ground". Not too far (as is Ducktown) from where I grew up.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

You sure that wasn't Goatville?!

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

hey guys there is also a frog level near greenville nc it is on 264a just before greenville

Wayne Wilson
@wayne-wilson
11 years ago
39 posts

There is a Monkey Dog Rd. off highway 76 between Irmo and Balentine, SC

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Dang...Wayne, what a picture that puts in your head...LOL!!

Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
11 years ago
209 posts

We used to ride motorcycles in that area. There is park also where the 10 commandments are displayed in stone on the side of a hill and also replica of the tomb where they placed the body of JESUS. Can't think of the name of it.

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

there is a place called monkey junction in the boppers area in wilmington nc

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

I met my first love at Monkey Junction....Charles!! No, kidding we both worked at Carolina Beach.....

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

One of our Wilson, NC-area eastern NC style bbq joints was featured last week on Public Television. Our group from Wrangler ate here on Fridays.

http://video.unctv.org/video/2327082889/

--
Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
11 years ago
209 posts

There is a good BBQ place in downtown Welcome, N. C. Cecil Gordon and I ate lunch there one day. In fact most of the guys from RCR was eating there also.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Just as I sat down with a can of Vienna Sausage and some Hoop Cheese...this thread popped up again..LOL!!!