CLEARING THE AIR ON SOMETHING -- I THINK,--MAYBE NOT

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

While listening to a rebroadcast of the Goat Rodeo-(I wasnt at home to hear the real thing) Someone said that the last driver for Junie was Rick Mast. I think it was 2002 Junie had something he had always wanted, an all Virginia team , with him as owner,Rick Mast as driver and Dukes Mayo as sponsor. Rick developed a mystery ailment later found to be carbon monoxide poisoning. He had to quit after the 11th race. That left the seat open, Hermie Sadler took over I think but after Pocono Dukes pulled out and left him as sponsor..

But didnt he enter the fall race at Charlotte that same year with a car driven by Jason Hedlesky ? If so wouldnt Jason be the last driver?

I also think he attempted the Daytona 500 in 2003 with Kirk Shelmerdine as driver and again in 2004 with Andy Hillenburg as driver and one more at Pocono with AJ Henriksen in 2004 before hanging his hat up?

Someone clarify this for me because I may be off but then again I love Racing History.

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:10:12PM
Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

Yes, I do believe JasonHedlesky was the last driver (one race) for Junie, but I think Rick Mast was the last primary driver in 2002. And of course, he may have funded one race for the other two you mention in 2003 and 2004.

Feel sure Dave can clarifyfor you when he is feeling better and returns or TMC. How about it guys? :)

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

by the way where is Dave ? is he sick or just out of pocket

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Yes, good memory. Jason Hedlesky started 41st and finished dead last in 43rd in the 2002 UAW-GM Quality 500 at Charlotte. He drove a Lucas Oil sponsored, Junie Donlavey owned #90 Ford. This was the same race where the surprise winner was Jamie McMurray in a sub role for Sterling Marlin. Haven't found a pic of Hedlesky's car yet - but I'll keep looking.

Extending Junie's involvement in racing as a car owner, Hedlesky also started several ARCA races for Donlavey including 4 in 2003. The last was at Talladega on September 23 - nearly a year after Junie's final Cup start as an owner.

Here is Mast in Junie's car at Martinsville in April 2002. - Motorsport.com

And again you are correct. Junie attempted the 2003 Daytona 500 with Kirk Shelmerdine as the driver. Kirk finished 22nd in his qualifying twin and did not transfer to the 500. - from Richmond Times Dispatch

Hillenburg also went with Junie to 2004 Speedweeks in an unsponsored Ford. As Kirk did the year before, Andy finished 22nd in his twin and didn't transfer. - Motorsport.com

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Best I can do so far is a screen cap of Hedlesky from the NBC telecast.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Johnny, Dave had some surgery and his daughter let me know it went well. He should be back around here in a few days....lets all keep him in our thoughts and prayers....

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

Thanks, TMC!

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Johnny - Hereis a link listing the drivers that drove for Junie inSprint Cup/Winston Cup/ Grand National racingaccording to Racing Reference.

http://racing-reference.info/owner/Junie_Donlavey

Jack

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

So what I posted was indeed true and correct. I had even went back and rechecked what posted to make sure -- thanks TMC for the clarification .. -------------------------------------------------- memories