Competition Proven

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts

"Competition Proven" the slogan of Holman-Moody is known throughout the land. Even today seeing the name or hearing the slogan brings back memories of cars, drivers and people who worked there. I have memories of visits to the famous facility. Doesn't Larry Wallace still grind cams under that name? Plan on getting the book written about it. The other day I ran across a statement about the last race won by H-M that surprised me for some reason but after thinking about it for a while it may be correct. Then I thought, I know someone on RR will know so here goes. (If you have the book, give a little time for the rest of us to have a little fun before you post.)

When, where and who drove the car in the last victory for H-M in Cup racing?

updated by @dennis-andrews: 01/08/20 07:54:07PM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
PKL, Holman-Moody won several more races that year with another driver. I think David drove a Pontiac for Ray Nichols later in the year.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
The statement I read was about a "House" car and that is why I was not sure if it was right because I knew H-M built cars for customers later. Did not know the Matador's were built at H-M. Any way you are partialy right according to what I read. It was 1971 and the driver was Bobby Allison. The when and where will be interesting to several RR members.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Don't have Tom Cotter's book. Guessing the Georgia 500 at Middle Georgia Raceway, Macon, GA on Nov. 7, 1971 won by Bobby Allison in a '71 Ford was last win for Holman-Moody.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

:)

quack

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
Yep, That's what I read Dave. 1971 was a very interesting year, a lot of things were changing. Bobby drove for a couple of different teams other than H-Mthat year including his own. Robbie Watson posted a page from Racing Pictorial 1971-1972 just the other day with photos from that race. A '71 Torino at Middle Georgia Raceway, this was one of those combination events that had GN and GA cars. The first combination race that year was at Bowman-Gray and is the one that Bobby won in a Mustang.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
You caught me Jim, I knew someone would catch that, the race was not a Grand National East though as that division did not start until 1972 but I did call it Cup racing as many today are prone to do. I knew if I called it a combination GN-GA event finding the answer would be easier. Did not mean to deceive, just keeping you guys on your toes. LOL.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts
Dennis, I'd guess the '71 Coke sponsored Mercury spoiler w/Bobby Allison driving. I know they won the fall "National 500" that year. But, come to think about it, the Wood Bros. ran the C-P banner for a few years with Pearson......may 1973 or so?
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
That is interesting Jim, I remember the #49 Mustang being driven in GA by both Bobby and David and it being driven by Bobby in GN East. I looked through some of the results that I have and saw where Larry drove the car at Charlotte in 1970 and where he drove a Camaro in several events in1969. I have always assumedthe Mustangwas built by H-M but I was under the impression that Melvin Joseph owned the car. Any way cool history.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts

Thanks for all the responses guys, amazing what you can learn when you when you get people talking. The fact that H-M continued to build cars and engines after 1971 made me remember something Dad told me once. In '72-'73 Mr. L.O. Stanley from Meadows of Dan, Va. was building the engines for the Mustang Dad was driving for Jack St.Clair from Roanoke. Mr. Stanley had worked at H-M back in the early days and decided he wanted to take one of the 302's and put it on the dino. Dad said he had been to H-M before but never got past the parts counter. On this trip he followed Mr. Stanley right into the dino room just like he owned the place. I guess that says a lot about the respect that H-M had for Mr. Stanley even all those years later. If I remember right they blew a head gasket on the first pull and fixed it right there on the dino. The motor pulled just about what he thought it would.

Dad told me that story with a reminder about burning bridges and always treating people with respect. Some times it is not what you know, but who you know, that opens doors.

One other thing, in the course of these comments the answer to the other part of the "What's That Mean" discussion was given. Can anyone find it?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Fascinating stuff, Jim.

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
I actually got to see that Merc and what Mr. Stanley called the "biggest flat motor in the world". He told us how he mounted the extra carburator but that is the first time I've heard about the cigar smoke. He called Curtis "Lead Foot". Great stories Jim!
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
That is cool Jim, Mr. Stanley showed us a crankshaft from a flathead that had some very long counter weights, don't know if they could have been from one of those or one of those "cross fire" engines. Dad also told me thatL.O. used to cast his own pistons before after market parts were available.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Pictures and copy from the Full Throttle website History of SW Virginia Racing:

http://www.vaautoracing.org/index.htm

Famed Engine Builder, L.O. Stanley of Meadows of Dan, Virginia

L.O. Stanley Trick Manifold

L. O. Stanley was Southwest Virginias most innovative engine builder. Born in Carroll County, Stanley opened his garage in the Meadows of Dan community in 1948. In 1950 he attended his first oval track race in Concord, North Carolina, and returned to tell his wife, I can build a motor that can outrun any of them. Within a year Stanleys first race car was competing. The famed Floyd County racer, Curtis Turner, drove some of Stanleys first stock cars. Stanleys engines were strong racing performers, and he later worked as an engine builder for the Holman-Moody racing organization in Charlotte, North Carolina, and for the Ford Motor Company.

Among his innovations, L. O. Stanley invented a cross-fire engine, in which two cylinders fire at the same time. In order to build such an engine, he had to turn his own crankshafts and rework practically every part of the motor. Stanley even had special pistons cast at a Marion (Smyth County) foundry. The cross-fire engine was eventually outlawed in racing. At another time, to skirt a rule limiting oval track engines to one carburetor, Stanley adapted a Ford intake manifold to hide two carburetors inside the motor.

Both drag racers and oval track racers used Stanleys engines, and two of his 420 cubic inch flathead engines survive today. L. O. Stanleys reputation in the Southeast stock car racing world became legendary, and the mechanic known as the man on the mountain is still remembered as the genius of regional engine building.

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
Great info Dave, I remember Him saying that figuring out the linkage where it would not be seen was a challenge. He was a little older when I met him but he still wore the same uniform. I wish someone had written a book about him. If I only knew a tenth of what he knew!
Mark Keeter
@mark-keeter
13 years ago
3 posts

The #49 Mustang was built by Holman Moody and campaigned by H-M but was owned by Melvin Joseph. After Holman Moody split the #49 car was at Ralph Moody, Inc. in Charlotte. I do not know its current whereabouts.

Mark Keeter
@mark-keeter
13 years ago
3 posts

No,

That was his last fixed base in Charlotte. He left HM at the end of the '71 season. I think it may have been '73 before the legalities and paperwork was done.

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
13 years ago
169 posts
Dennis the intake shown in the picture that Dave posted was at the Virginia Motor Sports Hall of Fame at one time. I do not know if it is still there or not. The block is not the same and it has no heads on it. I have a better picture of the intake and carbs but I am not too good on posting pictures. The carbs under the intake are updraft tractor carbs. The carb on top I think is from a Merc. flathead. The linkage and gas line for the two carbs go through the carb on top of the intake so it cannot be seen. The intake and engine were run in 1956 at Daytona in the modified class and driven by Curtis Turner. He sat on the pole with it but it blew during the race. The engine was 419c.i. and fired one cylinder on each side at the same time. Peanut Turman has one of Mr. Stanley's pistons that has not had the machine work done yet. It is straight out of the mold. Peanut told me all about this engine and intake setup so I hope I remember correctly what he told me. He said that the block was so weak after punching it out so large that Mr. Stanley had to use metal strapping around the engine to help hold it together but Peanut did not see the strapping.He also built Peanut a flathead for his modified that was 419 c.i. but it had the stock firing order and one carb. Peanut was running the Limited class and he qualified with that engine faster than the Sportsman class so they made him run in Sportsman that night. He had almost lapped the field when it came apart.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts

Thank you Robin, I could not remember how the linkage was done. Mr. Stanley was one smart man.

shawn ayers
@shawn-ayers
12 years ago
1 posts

My wifes great uncle l.o and her great aunt Helen were two very smart people. Helen knew as much about cars as l.o did.She wrote everthing down

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

That reminds me of the great Ford Pro Stock class drag racer, Bob Glidden, whose wife, Etta built his engines. When I was at 7-Eleven in the mid-80s, we considered having Etta build a Ford NASCAR motor for Kyle Petty's Petty Enterprises Thunderbird in 1984.

--
Mark Keeter
@mark-keeter
12 years ago
3 posts

To my knowledge, the last win by a Holman-Moody car campaigned by Holman-Moody was by Bobby Allison in 1971.

Blane Moon
@blane-moon
12 years ago
113 posts

I think Bobby was driving a Torino for HM in that last win...I know the record book shows aMercury, but Bobby either drove the HM Torino or his own Dodge in short track events.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
12 years ago
835 posts

You and Mark are right, Blane. Race #45 was the Georgia 500 held on Nov. 7,1971 at Middle Goergia Raceway, Macon, Ga.. Bobby won it in a H-M '71 Torino. The article I read stated it was the last win for H-M. As has been noted in these post itwas not the last win for a H-M built car, but the last win for a house car.It was the 5th of 6 combination events that allowed the Grand American cars to run with the Grand Nationals that year. The result would be the Grand National East division in 1972 and 1973. Interesting note, the little cars won 3 of those races and the GN cars the other 3. Bobby won 2 (1 in a Mustang and this 1), Richard Petty won 2 and Tiny Lund won 2 in a Camaro.