I lost my pal my buddy Jim Rathman passed away tonight

Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
13 years ago
93 posts
I lost my pal and buddy. TonightAt 730 Jim Rathman very sad and a great loss to me we were very close
updated by @tiger-tom-pistone: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
13 years ago
169 posts

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your buddy Jim.

We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
13 years ago
360 posts

Very sorry to hear.. RIP.

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
13 years ago
167 posts

My condolences Tiger.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

An iconic name. Condolences to all.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

Very sad news, Tiger. Our prayers,sympathy, and condolences are offered to yours and the Rathman families.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Nov 23, 11:14 PM EST

1960 Indy 500 winner Jim Rathmann dies

MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) -- Jim Rathmann won seven times on auto racing's biggest stages.

An elusive win at Indianapolis in the historic 1960 race finally turned him into a star.

Son Jimmy Rathmann said in an e-mail message to Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials that his father died Wednesday at a hospice facility in Melbourne, nine days after having a seizure at his home. He was 83.

Rathmann was a regular on the IndyCar circuit from 1949-63, but had to settle for second in 1952, 1957 and 1959 at Indianapolis. Then, in 1960, he finally broke through in one of the greatest two-man battles in 500 history.

Over the final 250 miles, he and defending champion Rodger Ward engaged in a test of wills. They traded the lead 14 times in two hours, rarely running more than a few feet apart while fighting worn tires and guessing at fuel mileage relayed to them only by pit board.

With three laps to go, it looked as if Rathmann would once again finish second as Ward continued to lead the race. But when Ward noticed the discoloration in the center of his right front tire, he had to slow down just to stay in the top two. The relieved Rathmann nursed his car back to the lead, winning the race at a then-record speed of 138.767 mph to avoid the dubious distinction of being the only four-time runner-up in 500 history.

And though Rathman revered Indianapolis, there was more to his career.

Born Royal Richard Rathmann, he borrowed the name Jim from his older brother to race underage in the mid-1940s. The name stuck, and his brother later raced as Dick Rathmann.

In 1948, he moved from California to Chicago where he raced hot rods in Andy Granatelli's Chicago-based Hurricane Hot Rod Association.

One year later, he was driving IndyCars and over the next decade, Rathmann became a household name in racing circles. He started twice in Italy's "Race of Two Worlds," winning the title in 1958, and raced three times on the NASCAR circuit from 1949-51. He won the 100-mile USAC national championship race in 35 minutes at a brand-new Daytona International Speedway, and he drove the famed Granatelli brothers' car in 1952.

In 1993, he was inducted into the Auto Racing Hall of Fame, and he was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame in 2007.

But it was the Indy win that vaulted Rathmann into the national spotlight.

He became close friends with the early astronauts and even convinced one of them to place his car dealership decal on a cart that was driven on the moon. Rathmann also became part of the GCR Corporation team that raced in the USAC Series in 1966 and 1967. The "G" represented Gus Grissom, the "C" represented Gordon Cooper and the "R" was for Rathmann.

In recent years, though, Rathmann's health problems prevented him from making his annual journey back to Indy, where he often played golf with former competitors such as Ward, Lloyd Ruby and Parnelli Jones and actor James Garner. With Rathmann's death, Jones is now the oldest living winner of the 500.

Rathmann also drove the Indy pace car six times, before making his last Indy appearance in February 2009 at the speedway's Centennial Era Gala.

He is survived by wife Kay, sons Jimmy and Jay, stepsons Zack and Tosh Pence, five grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

2011 The Associated Press.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts

A sad day but what a ride he's had...he'll be missed.

Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
13 years ago
219 posts

Thoughts and prayers to the friends and family of a true legend.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
13 years ago
626 posts

RIP Jim Rathman

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts

Tom --I know how tight you and Jim were during life so as all things come to be he is in a far better place now with all the former greats in our sport. Better yet he is looking down on his accomplishments in life, and smiling at you and your continued ramblings of Jim.---------------------------------------------------RIP

Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
13 years ago
93 posts

Dave beautuful article

hes with my son jimmy who we lost two years ago
Jim was his godfather and namesake
He use to joke and say he is reallly his son cuz he looked like him he had blonde hair
now jim is with my jimmy in heaven
your friend tiger

Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
13 years ago
93 posts

thank you your friend tiger

Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
13 years ago
93 posts

thank you your friend tiger