Mario Rossi

Bill Rossi
@bill-rossi
15 years ago
15 posts
I am looking for any info on the where abouts of my dad. He has been missing since 1983 and I would like some closure on the issue. I have looked all over and talked to many of his friends. But a forum like this may shed some light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Bill Rossi
updated by @bill-rossi: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Ronda McKnight
@ronda-mcknight
15 years ago
63 posts
Bill can you give us some more info on your dad, I m sure if anyone here knows anything we can help.
ed hutchins
@ed-hutchins
15 years ago
4 posts
I spent a lot of time in you dad's shop in Spartanburg , also worked with John Green , and worked with you Mom at Northside Auto Parts in Spartaburg , I can't give you any info on you Dad , but will be standing by for what you find out .... Thanks Ed Hutchins
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
15 years ago
1,783 posts
Bill,The only thing I know...is all the speculation you've already heard. I think Perry's comment about being told to "back off" is very interesting. We RR) wish you the very best...and will do everything we can to assist.Jeff

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
ed hutchins
@ed-hutchins
15 years ago
4 posts
hummmmm , I recieved a message shortly after posting " to keep my nose out of this ". I don't want to start anything or upset the anyone ... but , what is going on here ?
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
15 years ago
1,783 posts
Who was the message from, Ed? ed hutchins said:
hummmmm , I recieved a message shortly after posting " to keep my nose out of this ". I don't want to start anything or upset the anyone ... but , what is going on here ?

--
Bill Rossi
@bill-rossi
15 years ago
15 posts
Why after all of these years would there be a reason not to know what happened to my dad? I have heard that Gary Balough would know something but he is in prison and has not answered my letters. Can you tell me who told you to back off?Bill ed hutchins said:
Bill Rossi
@bill-rossi
15 years ago
15 posts
Hello Mr.Solsbee,I thoght he was in Pensacola. I had confirmed that a few years ago. I had even called theprison ans they said he was there. I will try to get intouch with him by phone or letter. Thanks for the help.Bill Robbie Solesbee said:
After doing some research, I found Balough is at CCM Miami not Tallahassee as in some reports I've found. The current info on BoFP's website: Gary Lee Balough, register number 10605-016. He is currently at CCM Miami, a half-way house for Federal Prisoners. The address is CCM MIami, Community Corrections Office. 401 N MIami Ave, Miami FL 33128.
Phone# 305-536-5740. His projected release date is May 15, 2010.

Bill Rossi said:
Why after all of these years would there be a reason not to know what happened to my dad? I have heard that Gary Balough would know something but he is in prison and has not answered my letters. Can you tell me who told you to back off?
Bill

ed hutchins said:
Duane Goins
@duane-goins
14 years ago
13 posts
Robbie Solesbee said:
Anytime. Please call me Robbie. I work for the Department of Veteran's affairs and I know how difficult US Gov't sites can be to navigate. Oddly, Dept Of Justice should have these detention centers on their site but they do not, so I Googled Bureau of Federal Prisons, and went to inmate look up. You can follow anyone through the system. The article I read saying Balough was in Tallahasee said he was doing 30yrs. I'm not a math wizard. But I saw Balough race in 1992 or 1993. That was not 30 years ago and his release from the half way house is going to be in May? Whre Federal Prisoners are held is a matter of public record. As a matter of fact my salary is public record,

Bill Rossi said:
Hello Mr.Solsbee,
I thoght he was in Pensacola. I had confirmed that a few years ago. I had even called theprison ans they said he was there. I will try to get intouch with him by phone or letter. Thanks for the help.
Bill

Robbie Solesbee said:
After doing some research, I found Balough is at CCM Miami not Tallahassee as in some reports I've found. The current info on BoFP's website: Gary Lee Balough, register number 10605-016. He is currently at CCM Miami, a half-way house for Federal Prisoners. The address is CCM MIami, Community Corrections Office. 401 N MIami Ave, Miami FL 33128.
Phone# 305-536-5740. His projected release date is May 15, 2010.

Bill Rossi said:
Why after all of these years would there be a reason not to know what happened to my dad? I have heard that Gary Balough would know something but he is in prison and has not answered my letters. Can you tell me who told you to back off?
Bill

ed hutchins said:
Duane Goins
@duane-goins
14 years ago
13 posts
May 15th is this week.I have never heard Mario `s name being associated with all that other,but if you are going to go in that direction ,`d suggest giving a call to Pete Pistone.He`s the one who did the talking.....on 60 plus peopleHe`s been very luckyThat whole deal goes way deep & a few didn`t get looked at or were deliberatelyovelooked by 'special request' from down South.I rented Metrolina to Balough in 84 to test.He`s as hard core as it gets & you won`t get anything from him .I don`t mean to be crude but it`s no secret people have heard of Billie Harvey`shelicopter rides acoss the swamp.
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
14 years ago
40 posts
Bill! I can't shed any light, I just hope you find the info you need and get closure. I admired your Dad from what I read about him, he was a mechanical genuis. There is a sight that has a profile on him it is called the Legends of NASCAR, that is as far as I know, I hope you find you answers, Paul
henrow
@henrow
14 years ago
1 posts
wasnt james finch associated with your dad back in the early 80s
Bill Rossi
@bill-rossi
14 years ago
15 posts
Not sure about James Finch. I will have to look further into that. henrow said:
wasnt james finch associated with your dad back in the early 80s
Roy Trantham
@roy-trantham
14 years ago
5 posts
Bill,I worked with your Dad at Banjo's along with Freddie McCall and Shorty Edwards, when Banjo had the Pontiac deal during the early 60's. At the time we were very close friends. We lost touch when he moved to Spartanburg and I left Asheville.I have often wondered what happened to him and would appreciate it if you would let me know if you are able to find any answers.Regards:Roy Trantham
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
ttt

--
RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
13 years ago
167 posts

BilI:

hope you have some success finding what you are looking for. Your dad was a kind man and was instrumental in my development as a car builder and a crew chief. He would question my answers and make me think again and again about a project we would be working on.

He hired me when DiGard racing was formed and we worked in the shop behind Bobby Allisons house in his race shop. Bobby's dyno was an airplane engine with a propeller on it and Mario wood look for any excuse to put a motor on, just to hear it run, i'm sure.

He had told me about the computer print-outs that Petty had from Jim Rathegeb at Chrysler. It was a 'book' that would allow you to completely take all the springs and shocks out from under the car and reinstall another set of 'stuff' and still maintain the same front roll couple distribution, while altering the ride rate. When I asked about getting to see that 'book' for the Ford chassis, he just laughed and said that was only for Petty's use, and said why don't you make one for us.

I took him seriously and embarked on a research project that lasted several years and did result in a book on vehicle dynamics that has yet to be published. He was instrumental in introducing me to the more knowledgeable folks in NASCAR and the respect those folks had for your dad gave me a foothold on obtaining some very good information. He was always encouraging to me and would include me in on anything that would help me gather information for my project.

During the result of some of our late night conversations while working on the Heenan-Froude Dyno at Smokey's, I convinced him to let me build our upcoming Daytona car on a short track chassis because of the rough surface and install a body at the super speedway inspection heights. That resulted in winning the pole for both the 500 and the 400 in '75 (I think). That car resulted in NASCAR asking the competitors to use side templates, but your dad and I shared a private moment when the car sat on the pole the first time. He had also spent an enormous amount of time with Bill 'Grumpy" Jenkins on the shop Dyno developing a special piston and triple valve springs for that qualifying motor.

Your dad was a visionary and encouraged others to be free thinkers as well. Most folks will already know that your dad developed the glue-on lug nuts and the 'bullet' ends that are still being used to this day. We built a pit wall outside the back of the shop in Daytona on Fentress Boulevard to practice pit stops and when we screwed up he encouraged us to keep working because we would have to do that if we were actually in a race. When it came to the Pit Crew Challange at Rockingham we had just installed new brake pads on Donnie's Chevelle and when he came in hot it locked up the wheels and stalled the motor. We continued to change the tires in silence (because of that training) . I have seen a photo that shows just as I am making the first step up from changing the front tire, there is a wiff of smoke coming from the right side exhaust pipe as Donnie got the engine fired and if you look over the hood of the car, there is your dad with a huge grin on his face. I would give a great deal to be able to give you a copy of that picture. It's priceless! We won the competition that year because of his training and guidance.

At any rate, good luck on your search. If you find any news, It would be cool to read about it here.

If you type in my name (Will Cronkrite) in the photo section, there are two pictures of your dad and I.