Kenseth to Gibbs or Penske?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I don't see it happening, but the rumor mill is trying hard to separate Matt Kenseth from Jack Roush:

Auto racing notes: Kenseth won't discuss future with Roush

By: Times-Dispatch Staff | Times-Dispatch
Published: June 25, 2012

SONOMA, California --

Daytona 500 winner Matt Kenseth declined to discuss his future with Roush Fenway Racing before Sunday's race at Sonoma, where there was rampant speculation he's been talking to other race teams.

The NASCAR points leader acts as his own agent. He has been with Roush his entire career. But his No. 17 Ford has limited sponsorship, and team owner Jack Roush has been paying out of his own pocket to ensure Kenseth runs a full season.

"You know I don't talk about my contract," Kenseth said. "I'd like to have something to tell you, but I don't have anything to talk about right now. Until I have something to announce, I don't talk about it."

Everybody else was talking, though, and Kenseth's name this weekend was linked to both Joe Gibbs Racing, a Toyota team, and Penske Racing, which is moving from Dodge to Ford in 2013. Kenseth is a longtime Ford driver.

JGR team president J.D. Gibbs declined to discuss any possible negotiations with Kenseth. JGR not only has room for expansion to a fourth car, but Joey Logano's status as driver of the No. 20 is unresolved. Logano is in the final year of his contract.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

My bet is when the dust settles, Matt remains with the 17, Ford, and RFR - and with a raise. But ... if he makes the jump, seems it would be to Gibbs vs. Penske. One, he respects Mark Martin a lot. Mark may be giving some ideas about life outside of Roush in general and with Toyota specifically. Two, it seems to me too much could go wrong with a move to Penske. With The Captain's change to Ford, I'm not sure Jack would like selling engines to the competitor who hired his former driver.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Mike Ashley
@mike-ashley
12 years ago
37 posts

Matt Kenseth is a class act. I sure hope the best for himwhat in ever direction life leads.

Who knows he may just get out of the rat race on the Cup side and go help his son race, now that something to talk about.

Mike Ashley

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Don't ya'll remember the same rumor came out around this same time last year (At Infinieon) that Carl Edwards was leaving to Gibbs also???

Kenseth ain't going no where!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

So, Biff will leave Roush after 2013 and join Gibbs.

I swear I heard it from a very reliable source, lol!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Slim_Shady
@slim-shady
12 years ago
26 posts

oops.......looks like Kenseth is leaving after all :)