Old Dale Earnhardt Toy from 1983

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

My wife was cleaning out a little used upstairs linen closet and came across one of our grown daughter's old toys. Her 7 year old son just saw it, but I really don't want it played with again. Too many memories.

It was a "supposed" replica of the Bud Moore / Dale Earnhardt Wrangler Ford Thunderbird car for 1983.

Dimensions are 12" long by 4-1/2" wide.

We ( Blue Bell, Inc./Wrangler Jeans ) licensed the toy to Ertl Toy Company in Dyersville, Iowa.

The rear deck lid reads " Copyright Blue Bell, Inc. 1983 ."

Other than being blue & yellow and carrying the #15 and Dale's name and the Wrangler insignia, the car looks nothing like a 1983 Thunderbird. Looks more like a generic GM car, in fact. Not pretty at all to look at.

But that's the toy business and the money business when it comes to licensing.

I would guess it's a fairly rare item. Thought it would be interesting for you RR folks to see.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
12 years ago
820 posts

I know you love your grand-kids....but give him a new one and call the American Pickers.....

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
12 years ago
820 posts

I donated 2 large boxes of cars, miniature gas pump banks,and various Earnhardt collectables to our Living Legends Auction at our banquet in Feb. and they brought 100-300 bucks each.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Dave, I don't recall ever seeing that one, I've seen most all of the Ertl co. and Gay Toys from Wall, Mi. (no pun intended) plastic stock cars but that one is quite rare, might fetch $30-40 on ebay.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

I've got 2 1:64 scale Ertl cars of Richard Petty. One was supposed to be the 1980 Caprice and the other the 1981 Buick. The Caprice looked like it had monster truck tires on the thing. But I still have them both and in a display cabinet.

I think I've got one of DW's Gatorade car as the Caprice too. "Dolly"

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
12 years ago
121 posts

Dave, this is rare. I do have one too. Remember they also made a yellow and blue plastic helmet, just as rare. I have several of these types of cars including a Harry Gant Buick that does have Skoal on it before they were outlawed as toys. The Wrangler car is definitely one of the more rare ones especially having Dale's name on it.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, NB, for your insight.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"