LET ME TRY THIS AND SEE IF IT FLYS

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts
Chevrolet Camaro

The Chevrolet Camaro will compete in the NASCAR Nationwide Series beginning in 2013

NASCARs Nationwide Series will have a new pony car on the track in 2013.

Chevrolet Camaro

Info came from Lee Spencer

The Chevrolet Camaro will compete in the NASCAR Nationwide Series beginning in 2013.

Chevrolet unveiled the Camaro SS at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Thursday.

The project a collaborative effort between Chevrolet and Richard Childress Racing was kept closely under wraps and approved just three weeks ago.

Chevrolet is proud to bring the Camaro (to) the NASCAR Nationwide Series in 2013, said Jim Campbell, vice president, Chevrolet Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. The Camaro Nationwide race car incorporates many of the distinctive styling elements of the production Camaro, including the unique power-bulge hood and deep recessed grille. In addition, the design incorporates the distinctive halo light rings and dual-port grille appearances, and the gold bowtie.

Chevrolet is a little late to the NASCAR Pony Car party. Ford and Dodge introduced the Mustang and Challenger, respectively at Talladega Superspeedway in October 2009.

But Camaro was just re-introduced into the new car market three years ago. In 2010 and 2011, Camaro led its segment in sales and once again tops the chart in 2012.

We know that our NASCAR fans like cars, so this is an exciting moment for us, said NASCAR president Mike Helton. To have a Camaro now in the Nationwide against the other pony cars is kind of fun for an old guy to watch the racing as it will be in 2013.

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Mustangs, Camaros.... now if we can resurrect some defunct brands, we could have a Cougar, Firebird, Barracuda and all the old pony cars. Might rename the Nationwide Series the NASCAR GT or Grand American, lol!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Only in our dreams --but wouldnt it be great to re-crank that series up again.... I really enjoyed that series because there were unknowns in it--------------------along with big names and guys .. some actually had a bit of trouble entering and exiting these mighty but smaller machines

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Guess they used shoehorns, bear grease and an assortment of yoga movements, huh?!

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

You caught my drift I see--yes he was a shoehorn driver -- Tiny was in brunswick Ga one nite at a race and you should have seen him squeeze in and out of the chevelle he broubht you know the one #55 bkue n white

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

was that cheese you asked for there????

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

The little Pony Cars will come in handy when NASCAR moves the Nationwide Series back to the short tracks where it belongs.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Very true there is a big audience out there thats into small cars--could this be the beginning of running frontwheel drive along with rear wheel drive??? t was touched on back in the 80s with olds and Pontiac on road courses-- maybe this will fire up big time you never know with those Rice Rocket cars

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Dave you could be the father of a new series here and dont know it yet

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

How much should I charge NASCAR for this idea? They've stolen several others in the past.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Keep it under the R/R banner --just lease the idea to them ,that way they cant change the drama around to fill their cup. that way control is not lost unless you lose gripe or have blowout

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I shall go to work immediately repurposing my proposition.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

You go Sir-- I got your back ,so to say --unless Reverend Stagger comes in with his rule book then we will be playing in the onion patch again.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Tread lightly sir we got the Paparazzi looking now. next someone will put in a debate as to what you really building and then the Idea committee will want to see your credentials .......

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

You know it could be called --Fulton Ubatuba series Has a definite Ring to it .. R/R advertising dept will go bananas over it

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Yep, we got company, all right, as you have observed. Always spying on us.

Probably make an unannounced shop visit with new templates.

Hey, a bronc is kinda like a pony, ain't it?

Maybe we could call it the Big Bad Bronc Series (for pony cars).

The BBB Series. Probably get that fella in Franklin to give us some plugs. Whatcha think? Boogity, boogity, boogity!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Your Ubatuba idea has possibilities for NASCAR. I've heard several places that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing down in Daytona.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Maybe those guys over at the Goat Palace could come up with a catchy handle or maybe that guy thats on wednesday can learn how to turn in the middle of a lap and come up with something or maybe the guy who lives in his cave or whatever a lair is will have vision just before court so he can get a continuance

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I see they have opened a branch office.

--
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
12 years ago
907 posts

Like the Mustang and the Challenger, NASCAR'staken some liberties with the Camaro from the windshield aft. Until this announcement, GM/Chevy was adamantly opposed to the body lines being NASCAR-ized. Back room meetings, no doubt, but it's tough trying to fund a Quattlebaum series these days. Sponsors and teams, and FANS aren't exactly standing in line. GM must have been convinced, even with a body massage, it will aid sales. The old win on Sunday, sell on Mondayphilosophy (still) lives.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

The rear section doesnt have the Camero window design and thats where the template comes into effect. I doubt very seriously if the final templates are made much less the massaging of the body to comply with Daddy Robin --Time will tell!!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Not mentioned in the report above, but highlighted in The Charlotte Observer coverage is this interesting statement:

Nationwide teams must use the Camaro in the series' three restrictor-plate races next season, but may run the Impala in other races while they transition to the new car, series director Joe Balash said.

Read more here: http://www.thatsracin.com/2012/07/26/91858/chevy-camaro-is-joining-nationwide.html#storylink=cpy

--
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
12 years ago
907 posts

Does anybody know the year that NASCAR began allowing teams to fabricate their body panels? I'd guess sometime in the 1990's........anyway, that pretty much blew the lid off Pandora's box (again) and eventually culminated in Ford demanding the NASCAR-i-zation of their not-too-racy 4-door Taurus. Rather than build a car that fit the desired parameters, the established protocol, NASCAR gave FoMoCo a 'buy' and allowed extreme modifications to an aerodynamic slug. Naturally, everybody else demanded equal treatment, and it became an aerodynamic nut house, and one that had not seen since the late '60's. The only way to get the horse back in the barn was for NASCAR to design the bodies and make everybody's exactly equal..........voila' thecar of tomorrow. That's why the NASCAR Camaro can't look like a real one.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

One other thought.

We have all had our favorite Camaros at the race track. Hard to beat the one that Robert Gee brought to Wilson County Speedway wheeled by Dale Earnhardt and put a whipping on our regulars in the big money Southern Late Model 200.

However, if I could never see him again in a coupe, here's the Camaro I'd most want to see just one more time before I pass. It would be the Jack Tant / Clayton Mitchell NASCAR Late Model Modified version fielded out of Littleton, NC and driven by Richmond's Ray Hendrick. Unbeatable.

--
Jerry Williams2
@jerry-williams2
12 years ago
17 posts

At 6'4" and 63 years old you should see the "shoehorn" it takes to squeze into the window of a 32 ford.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

It's about time

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Ray Hendrick, another great that should be inducted in the Hall of Fame.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

NASCAR? Its ME who wants a residual. Have been saying it for the past 4-5 years. NASCAR has convinced Madison Ave that its butts in the seats that matter for sponsor pricing. But I'M convinced its TV ratings that drive eyeballs and eventually consumer purchasing.

I think a NW schedule consisting of Myrtle Beach, IRP, Hickory, South Boston, Nashville Fairgrounds, etc. with smaller but full seating capacity - coupled with adequate TV coverage - will create more interest from a TV perspective than empty stands at big tracks. I'll take some mid-week racing also like back in the day at places like Columbia.

In turn, ratings go up, TV $ go up, and owners command mo' money from mo' sponsors. Everyone wins. Well, except for John Wes Townley. DEFINITELY no wins in his future.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.