What's the Beef at Roush?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

In case you didn't know, Jack Roush is celebrating his 25th year in NASCAR.

The other day when I was watching a telecast I noticed the Ricky Stenhouse #6 Roush car was being sponsored by Cargill Beef:

Jack evidently has a thing for beef. How could we ever forget all the success Mark Martin had for Roush in his Winn-Dixie #60 Busch Series car? That car carried the Winn-Dixie slogan "The Beef People" on it.

But, Jack Roush was late to the NASCAR beef party. In January 1984, Wendy's unveiled its famed "Where's the Beef" ad campaign.

At the time, Rocky Mount, NC-based Hardee's was sponsoring the Harry Ranier #28 driven by Cale Yarborough. Hardee's answered Wendy's question by painting "It's All Here" on the rear of Cale's car. I haven't found a photo, but when Richard beat Cale at Daytona in July 1984 for his 200th win, that saying was on the back of Cale's car.

Anyhow, if any of you have a beef, please take it to Jeff, lol.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/16/16 07:54:05AM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

thought Jeff was on a diet??

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

The phrase can be seen in this photo of of Cale's car at Michigan (from John Bett's gallery ).

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Take it to Jeff WHERE? Quincy's Steak House?

(Another photo by John Betts )

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Wait. Did someone say "Steak"? (Y)umm!

(Mark Martin in DEI #8 at Pocono 2008 - from purduenila Flickr gallery)

--
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
12 years ago
177 posts

Always loved the nickname on this car..."Sirloin!"

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

I lived in Chattanooga for about 9 years. The River City was home to the late Grant Adcox and to Krystal Hamburgers. (From Ray Lamm's gallery )

Of course, if you've HAD a Krystal 10-bagger (and what southerner hasn't at 1AM) you might question if their burgers fit with the theme of beef. Mystery meat perhaps?

The cheesy characters were the Krystal Kritters. I remember my brother and I having a paperboard version of the walrus run as the light switch cover in our bedroom. For all I know, my mother may STILL have it. I'll have to check the next time I visit my folks...

Sadly, in this promo photo, Grant looks a bit like the 1970s comedian Avery Schreiber .

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

That's it.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Now you know the definition of a two bagger at 1 am on the road to the NEXT race

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

Did I hear somebody was taking me to a steakhouse...? I'm in!! When? Where?

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Now y'all got me salivating for some snacks, like the Big Mama Meats Hot Sausage, Penrose Sausage or Slim Jims that used to adorn the Busch cars of Steve Grissom and Bobby Labonte.

Photos?

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Jay Coker is the man on that one---Q U I N C Y S yum yum

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Well, trim the fat, Johnny!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I'm afraid I'll have to choose Golden Corral, Western Sizzlin or Outback over Quincys. I really detested that place.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I think the Krystal Kritters found new work at NASCAR as their alter ego NASCUBS!

Back in the 90s, those cheesy folk actually came to the track, courtesy of the NASCAR Marketing Dept. That may have signaled the beginning of the end for NASCAR.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

I tend to be a pretty frugal guy. How about a piece of shoe leather ... err, I mean... a t-bone from Shoney's.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

All this food and no drink?? Im getting kinda thursty with all this great food

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Sometimes a steak is just too much. And oftentimes, a Slim Jim is *blehh* just too chewy and salty. In those situations, just a good ol' bologna sammich gets the job done.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

And to be clear, my offer of a Shoney's t-bone is only to Jeff. Hadn't planned to cover the costs for everyone here. If I'm asked to do that, the best I can offer is a can of jerky.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Just when the party is getting good someone pulls out a snuff box of some kind.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I'd settle for an old Shoney's Big Boy, back in the day when they still were licensed to sell that product.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

I bet Frank Warren could have gotten you a good deal on a prime cut of beef at The Peddler Steak House back in 1969.(from Ray Lamm collection )

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

And maybe RacersReunion member Dave Marcis can get us all a table at Staley's Steak House in Winston-Salem.

(1992 North Wilkesboro - sourced from Beitaness at Historical Stock Car Racing Forum)

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Staley's in Winston-Salem was a wonderful place to eat (RJR always picked up the tab, lol!) and the two Peddlers I ever ate at - one at the Morehead City, NC Marina and the other in Spartanburg were both good. Are those guys still in business?

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

One still in Gatlinburg.

http://peddlergatlinburg.com

We had one in Hermitage (a suburb of Nashville) for several years that my dad liked. But I don't think its around anymore.

--
Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
12 years ago
119 posts

So true about Roush. I can recall Arby's sponsored Matt Kenseth in the Busch Series and in select cup races.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Like Fatback McSwain ?? thats your chore brother Dave

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

From today's Atlanta paper:

Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012

Krystal moving headquarters to Atlanta

By Leon Stafford

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Burger chain Krystal announced Wednesday it is moving its headquarters to Atlanta from Chattanooga, the companys birthplace.

The restaurant giant, which was acquired earlier this year by Atlanta-based private equity firm Argonne Capital Group, said it will relocate its corporate office, called the Restaurant Support Center, to an undisclosed location in North Atlanta sometime in early 2013.

The RSC headquarters employs about 60 workers, the majority of whom will have the option to apply for new positions in the Atlanta office or receive severance packages and job search assistance if they decide not to relocate, the company said.

Chattanooga has been a wonderful home for Krystal, and we appreciate the support of the community, Krystals president and chief executive officer Doug Pendergast said in a release.

Our five-year plan calls for aggressive new store growth and Atlanta provides a more central location with access to the one of the countrys largest airports, he said. Our new support center will enable us to provide better support to our existing restaurants and to accelerate new restaurant development across the southeast.

Krystal, known for its small bite-sized burgers, was placed on the market in the summer of 2011. It has more than 6,000 employees and owns and franchises 350 restaurants in 11 Southern states.

The companys decision to move to Atlanta is a switch from previous statements on the matter. Krystal leaders said the headquarters would remain in Chattanooga when the sale to Argonne was announced in March.

--
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
12 years ago
238 posts
No burgers just steak
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
12 years ago
238 posts
Here is how to cook a thick steak on the grill. Sear or high heat with grill closed for one minute on each side. Lower to medium heat, cover when possible for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Take those beauties off and let them rest for a few and you have the perfect medium-medium rare steak