WHERE SHOULD LARRY FRANK'S "1962 DARLINGTON SOUTHERN 500 WINNER DARLINGTON TROPHY" BE PLACED?

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Chrissy asked that I post this on her behalf. Please tell us your choice and if you feel so inclined, do elaborate. I am sure we will get some wonderful responses!

Here is Larry Franks Southern 500 1962 Darlington Winner Trophy
Margaret asked Chrissy to chose which HOF it would go into.
So it's the NASCAR HOF, or Memory Lane HOF. Chrissy would like her'S and Margaret's Racing Family and Friends help decide.

Margaret Ann Frank was always advocating for our Pioneers our Racing Heroes.
She just wanted it to go into a HOF with Larry's name, and where it would be loved and respected. Margaret loved both RacersReunion, Alex Beam HOF & NASCAR HOF....but, Chrissy feels that Friends and Fans should choose, since the Fans are who keep the Pioneers' Legacy alive.

Thank you & God Bless
Chrissy
Tiger Tom Pistone
Patsy Thompkins~Keisler

updated by @patsy-thompkins-keisler: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

How about the Darlington Museum - home of the National Motorsports Press Association Hall of Fame and the site of Larry's Southern 500 win?

NASCAR's Memory Lane
An early drawing of the Darlington Raceway Stock Car Museum.

(from the Raceway web site)

Most visitors to the Darlington Raceway Stock Car Museum aren't quite sure what to expect. Old cars, or modern ones? A history lesson, or a fresh look at a most contemporary and constantly evolving sport?

The answer: The museum offers all this, and a lot more.

Originally, the facility was called the Joe Weatherly Stock Car Museum; the name was changed following a major renovation and expansion project in 2003.

"Little Joe" Weatherly had a reputation as one of racing's most colorful characters back in the sport's early days, even earning the nickname "The Clown Prince of Stock Car Racing." He was known for his zest for life, his no-holds-barred driving style and his seemingly endless creativity in the field of practical jokes.

But Weatherly was much more than a prankster. He was a serious competitor on the track, with two wins at notoriously tough Darlington Raceway, in 1960 and 1963.

Joe Weatherly was killed while driving at Riverside in 1964, but he left a legacy at Darlington that went beyond a couple of entries in the win column. The driver who like so many others began his career racing on dirt had a real disdain for the fancy Indy cars so popular at the time, describing them as looking like "cucumbers with hayraker wheels."

Just as Darlington Raceway had originally been constructed in 1950 to give stock car racing a platform to rival that of the Indianapolis 500, the Museum was intended to do the same for the history of the still fledgling sport.

After a visit to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Musuem, Weatherly suggested to his good friend Bob Colvin, then president of Darlington Raceway, that he consider building a stock car museum in South Carolina. Colvin not only liked the idea, but followed through with it; following his friend's death, Colvin brought plans for the Joe Weatherly Stock Car Museum before the Raceway's Board of Directors, where they were unanimously approved. The facility was officially dedicated on May 2, 1965, and still stands as a testament to the greatness of the sport of stock car racing and those who compete in it.

A walk through the Museum is not only a trip through the history of Darlington Raceway, but of the entire sport. On the end of a line of classic cars, looking like a prop from a 1940s film, sits the 1950 Plymouth Johnny Mantz drove to Victory Lane in the very first Mountain Dew Southern 500. Mantz was the slowest qualifier for the race which he eventually won by 15 laps over second-place finisher Fireball Roberts.

Did you know that the winningest car in the history of stock car racing is a convertible? The 1956 Ford convertible which sits in the Weatherly Museum won 22 races in a single year racing in the convertible series, plus three more races that same year with the top welded on - including the Mountain Dew Southern 500 at Darlington.

Sitting quietly in the middle of a row, sporting its trademark blue and the number 43, is the 1967 Plymouth of Richard Petty, a car that won 10 races that year. Occupying a prominent spot in the back is Darrell Waltrip's 1991 Chevy Lumina, which rolled eight times in the '91 Pepsi 400 in one of the most fearsome crashes in stock car history. Waltrip walked away from the incident, and the car stands as an impressive witness to stock car safety.

In the rear of the building visitors can find the National Motorsports Press Association (NMPA) Hall of Fame, filled with photos, memorabilia and interactive exhibits showcasing the sport of NASCAR racing and the personalities who have inhabited it over the years. Alan Kulwicki; David Pearson; Junior Johnson. Lee and Richard Petty. Neil Bonnett.

Ever wondered what a restrictor place looks like? How about the famous "Hemi" engine? Both are on display in the Darlington Raceway Stock Car Museum, along with other bits and pieces of racing trivia such as Fonty Flock's Bermuda shorts and Joe Weatherly's very own racing shoes.

A very unique exhibit is a bittersweet favorite with fans. It features Dale Earnhardt, Sr.'s handprints, preserved in concrete. Earnhardt was a nine-time champion at the track "Too Tough To Tame," second only to David Pearson on the all-time win list.

The Darlington Raceway Stock Car Museum and NMPA Hall of Fame offer those who are interested in the history of stock car racing an in-depth look at the roots of the sport, and has a lot to pique the interest of newer fans as well. All in all, both facilities provide a unique stroll down NASCAR's memory lane.

The Darlington Raceway Stock Car Museum, NMPA Hall of Fame and Darlington Raceway gift shop are open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Museum admission is $5.00 for adults, and free for kids under the age of 12.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Dave it is my understanding that The Darlington Museum, (after several attempts to reach out to them by Margaret) never returned her calls or replied to her in any manner. And Margaret was heartbroken over that.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

What imbeciles. Thanks, Patsy.

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I know...Dave. I too, am very disappointed in them. This was the Museum I grew up going to, so I feel like someone certainly dropped a BIG ball on this one!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

From the comments I've heard about them being involved in RR get togethers, they've dropped a number of big balls.

--
JAck Redd
@jack-redd
12 years ago
111 posts

Seeing Darlington's no response, my vote is for the Memory Lane Museum. Isn't Larry in the HoF there?

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

Darlington Raceway Stock Car Museum aka Joe Weatherly Stock Car Museum - home of the National Motorsports Press Association Hall of Fame and the site of Larry's Southern 500 win.
Should be proud to have Larry's Southern 500 winner trophy.LOL

Who's in charge of the Darlington Raceway Stock Car Museum?LOL

Has any members of stockcar racers reunion checkout the Darlington Raceway Stock Car Museum lately?LOL

DID they moved all the old racecars and trophies to the NASCAR HALL OF FAME in CHARLOTTE,NC?LOL

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

MLM and NHOF are 2 obvious choices. And perhaps they are the most logical with their being in NC. But there is also the International Motorsports HOF in Talladega and the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. Not trying to complicate matters - just saying other museums may be genuinely interested in the gift either as a permanent donation or a loan-based display.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

TMC, that is another issue that has come up. Is giving it as a permanent donation giving them permission, should the museum come into hard times, would they have the right to sell for revenue? That is NOT an option for this trophy, so Chrissy would definitely want to make sure that doesn't happen. There are still I believe 7 more, but this is I guess the "Granddaddy". So..TMC..what would be your choice?

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

It really bothers me, Dave....and this is something (I feel) needs to be addressed...just sayin....

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I have not been in awhile, Dennis. But I do plan to go in the upcoming year....

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

Memory Lane gets my vote. Alex Beam and Memory Lane Museum are continuously promoting and supportting the history.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Got my vote...as well!

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
12 years ago
820 posts

Not an easy decision by any means. In my opinion someone in the family should go visit the Darlington HOF and see if its being kept up to standards. Also get in writing that they understand this is a loan from the family and not to be loaned elsewhere or sold. This is an important part of our past and needs to be handled properly. Getting opinions from folks who have great intentions but hasn't been to either HOF is taking a chance.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Bill, she is seeking wisdom in making this decision. I too, would do the same. I don't know where else there is anymore of that than here at RacersReunion. I would hope that I could ask questions, and at the same time receive wisdom, and protection from those who have the passion for racing akin to myself. But, believe you me....there will be no chance taking in this decision. In this way, she is allowing everyone to be a part of the process, but the buck will stop with Chrissy. I myself, find it an honor to even be asked.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

Couple of points, ....Memory Lane does not sponsor this site, but we support their efforts. And, Memory Lane is not located where the race shops are (were) that is the North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Darlington is just simply out of the question. Margaret was heartbroken by them. There are two choices, NASCAR, or Memory Lane. Now, regarding the question about is emotion the driving force, behind this? Well, absolutely....we are women! We may not know the engineering and nuts and bolts about everything BUT we are the PASSION, and have the HEART! A very wise man told me this past week to start speaking up for what I believed in. I am in no way disrespecting anyone's opinion, however please remember we love auto racing as much as ANYONE. Will it take awhile to make this decision? Maybe, maybe not...but never underestimate the power, or knowledge of a woman. I respect your opinions, and thank you for bringing to light some things that we might not be aware of. And Tom, I AM NOT speaking directly to you and I hope you don't take it that way. I am speaking to any and all who may comment on this...believe me. Chrissy and I both have been and are still going through some horrific moments...which is how "we" came to be. So, as I am sure you are careful with the females in your life...whether it be wife, girlfriends, daughters, etc. you too, have to be careful with our feelings. RacersReunion is a family .... and being family where else would you go to get advice? I no longer have my Momma nor my Pop, and I truly believe they put me here to be able to still have a Racing Family. Please read the things I have written and you will see the love for this sport in my words. Please get to know me, before passing judgement! Mama ...has taught me much since being here and has loved me every step of the way. You will find no greater passion than that which is in my heart. And I certainly will not apologize for it. I was raised on dirt tracks...my Pop was a driver and I can hang with the best of them, but love you more than most of them. But please, do not disgrace RacersReunion by belittling our "womanly emotions", for how many successful men do you know, that it was the "woman " behind them ......

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

forgot to say....Bless, their hearts...

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Patsy,

First, no one is judging you but, if you ask for opinions you'll be sure to get some here, it's a good place to ask a question if you want to weigh out all your options.

My opinion is don't rush the decision, weigh out your options and pros and cons and then, when the time is right make a choice. I'm not in any position to comment on it, just do what you all think is right for Frank. Ask yourself WWFD...What would Frank do?

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Thanks for your comment, Jim. That's all we wanted was "recommendations". And I know, I am going to have to learn to be a little more "tough skinned". But I really am not crazy about that side...LOL...

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Is it possible to have your cake and eat it too? Perhaps more than one museum can display it on a donor-determined, rotational basis. If any of the museums plan to curate a Darlington-focused display, a 1x winner exhibit, a 1960s era display, Ford winners, etc., then perhaps the trophy could rotate from one place to another based on some sort of formal or handshake contract. That approach might allow different groups of fans to see it over a period of years vs. having it 'homestead' at a permanent location.

I have no clue if something like that works or not. In regular art museums, collections of art rotate from one museum to another every few months it seems. Why couldn't that be the case with racing memorabilia?

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Thank you, Mama for your input. Thought you might have forgotten me...LOL!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Would love to maybe, have and eat!! These are all great ideas.... Thanks, TMC!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Oh...and Mama, it wasn't that they "turned" Margaret down, they simply would never contact her after several attempts to reach out to them. Just wanted to clear that one up.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I guess so, Mama. It is my belief that passion comes out in actions. I went to Mike Curb's place when it was just a "small" building, in front of the textile mill. There was one young fella there who had passion for what he did, and it definitely showed. Now that I think about it, reminds me of Cody. Sad that they didn't have that at Darlington, when Margaret was reaching out. But, you know what....even if they are paying you, the big bucks...if you don't have the passion...you can't buy it! Who knows that better than you, Mama....??

Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
12 years ago
93 posts
Toomuchcountry that's a great idea too
Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
12 years ago
93 posts
Jeff you know how I feel my friend
Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
12 years ago
93 posts
Tom Jeff and memory lane put out thousands and thousands yearly to kept us Pioneers alive Alex is a good man so is Jeff when they do their HOF inductions you would be amazed at how much Jeff has to pay out of his own pocket for the events and he does not break even with that being said if my daughter choses memory lane ill stand behind her proudly no matter where she decides. But memory lane does a lot every other month for us and others thank you tiger
Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
12 years ago
93 posts
Let me not miss Jeff my great friend who works for us pioneers for nothing I mean nothing he does it got us and because he cares about the racing roots tiger
Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
12 years ago
93 posts
Patty this is Chrissy, I'mOn Tiger Daddy's name, I just had to say to you I love you and Patsy I love you too!Ok to the ones who thought this was a debate going mean no no no on the contrary!! I merely asked where Margaret's and my FB and Racing family think it should go. Now as far as emotions being involved of coarse they are!! Margaret means the world to me Larry meant the world to my Tiger Daddy! Now Darlington ignored Margaret on several occasions when she was alive so that's out of the question! I will do the right thing and where ever it goes it will be Proudly displayed and honored by many as Larry & Margaret always will be! Please know Mama K does not have a mean bone in her precious sweet heart she too advocates for our Legends who started this sport of Stock Car Racing ! Now I do not see any other message boards about racing that allow us this pleasure to read, write and meet great loving friends and fans! Kudos to Jeff Gilder and Alex Beam! Kudos to my mama K for loving me and being a true friend kudos to her and Patsy for knowing my heart and stance on this very important task I'm faced with! I hope we all can be friends life is too short Tom! ChrissyMama and Patsy I love you