Why are we here?

Brian Janik
@brian-janik
14 years ago
35 posts

The Nascar (France) family have 2 major problems,as I see it.1st theyneed to seriouslyreevaluate why people come to auto racing,2nd what do the drivers, ownerswant.

Please express your ideas here.

updated by @brian-janik: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
they dont want to play on the porch---they want to play in the sand box --what else would you want ???
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
I agree with you to a point but Nascar listened to the teams and drivers around 2000-01 and let them wack out the bodies of the cars and gave them left side offset. Anyone recall how the left front fenders on the Cup and Naitonwide cars were wider than the right ? The noses were shaped like bullets, they allowed the teams to flatten out the right rear quarter panels. The drivers wanted their cars to drive better. At that point the competition started to drop off as eveyrone was fighting a push condition in traffic. The leader in clean air would take off. The sport went from leaning towards mechanical grip towards the aero package.NASCAR went from one extreme to the other with the COT and neither package works. NASCAR's credo has always been to have a level playing field but they need to give the teams and drivers something to sink their teeth into and that is the mechanics of the car. Aero is always going to be an issue but does not have to be predominate in what determines set ups. Aero wars are nothing new in NASCAR as the factories got real radical with it during the late 60's. Once Big Bill saw this he put a stop to it. It would probably be a good guess to say that the Dodge Daytona and the Superbird played a part in his decision.
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
They have lost track of why people come to races because they have spent too much time worrying about what sponsors and team owners want....when all they need to do is listen to what the fans want and deliver. The fans will take care of the sponsors if they are passionate about the races and drivers.I have heard they have actually approached certain sponsors to see if the sponsor is "ok" with them adding/ allowing a little passion to show through the drivers.Based on what I'm hearing....fans want to see real drivers driving real cars with real feelings and a real appearance....rather than the orchestrated, polished, vanilla, made-for-sponsor-and-tv, boring, predictable, transparent, productions of the past few years. Get rid of the top 35 rule...."Go Fast or Go Home"....and let some of the talent with less-than-perfect teeth and great hair have a shot at making it.Just my opinion......but what do I know? I'm just a fan.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Brian Janik
@brian-janik
14 years ago
35 posts
To settle body style and aero push, is it feasable to go back to, if it's in the showroom run it. (only a suggestion) Richard Guido said:
I agree with you to a point but Nascar listened to the teams and drivers around 2000-01 and let them wack out the bodies of the cars and gave them left side offset. Anyone recall how the left front fenders on the Cup and Naitonwide cars were wider than the right ? The noses were shaped like bullets, they allowed the teams to flatten out the right rear quarter panels. The drivers wanted their cars to drive better. At that point the competition started to drop off as eveyrone was fighting a push condition in traffic. The leader in clean air would take off. The sport went from leaning towards mechanical grip towards the aero package.

NASCAR went from one extreme to the other with the COT and neither package works. NASCAR's credo has always been to have a level playing field but they need to give the teams and drivers something to sink their teeth into and that is the mechanics of the car. Aero is always going to be an issue but does not have to be predominate in what determines set ups. Aero wars are nothing new in NASCAR as the factories got real radical with it during the late 60's. Once Big Bill saw this he put a stop to it. It would probably be a good guess to say that the Dodge Daytona and the Superbird played a part in his decision.