The Evolution and History of Trophy Girls, Icons of Racing

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Trophy girls are as much a part of auto racing as pace cars and pit crews. Trophy girls have been in victory lane as far back as auto racing itself. Once dressed in heavy garments and big feather hats the Trophy Girl has evolved with the times. As each generation became more liberated the dresses got shorter, the hair grew longer, and the chests got bigger. During the years when the big open wheel race car was auto racing's only attraction, the girls were dressed more conservative and there wasn't much, if at all, the "kissing the girl" in victory lane. As auto racing evolved so did the trophy girl. In the early 1940's the country took a recess from racing to fuel World War II. The only pretty and scantily clad women the boys saw were on the noses of their fighters and bombers.

In post war Hollywood the two piece bikinis showed up more frequently , another bi-product of that G.I. generation hungry to freely "express" themselves. Young men returning from The War remembered the USO "Girl Friends" and the entertainment they would put on for the G.I.s. Names like Susan Hayward, Lana Turner, Janel Blair, Betty Hutton, Vivien Leigh, Dorothy Lamour, and Jane Wyman, very curvy and busty woman that lit a young man's internal combustion. Many of these girls would become famous in Hollywood for their well endowed and curvy figures. Artists were painting portraits of semi nudes called "Calendar Girls", and soon young woman in dresses above the knee were the fashion. Auto racing was in full swing during the post-war baby boomer years and so were the curvy and glamorous trophy girls. The Fifties arrived and young American's were now more rambunctious as ever, wild and daring, they were chasing anything with 2 legs and racing anything with 4 wheels. Wide eyed and hungry for fast woman and speed, these men were souping up hotrods, roadsters, dragsters, and stock cars and the trophy girls became more daring as well. There was more than a trophy to earn in victory lane, kissing the dirty face of the race winner was the normal ritual; kiss the girl and hoist the prize, that other prize, the trophy.

By the Nineteen Sixties the trophy girl's popularity grew, the same girl would be seen at multiple races at Indy and NASCAR. Being a Trophy Girl was a break into stardom for a select few. Many of these young starlets were more frequently required to kiss the greasy, grimy, and sweaty race winner in winner's circle. Dirty drivers were lip locking the Trophy Girl whether she liked it or not, it was a part of the victory circle celebrations. Yet, a select few, like Miss. Firebird and later Miss Hurst Golden Shifter Nob (see Linda Vaughn below) were now Sex Symbols, Goddesses of Racing, used more often as an accessory to speed equipment than trophies, not to be man-handle by some greasy driver, these girls were money makers,

The the end of the 60's and early 1970's the Trophy Girl had changed, wore the bikini less, and dawned the hot pants and low cut blouse, a sign of the times. A few of these girls gained stardom like none of their predecessors before. Girls like Linda Vaughn, and Jungle Pam Hardy became as big of Super Stars as the drivers themselves. In the racing news you'd read about the race, the drivers, and a mention of the groovy girl in a tight jump suit (see Miss Winston Cup Sonja Mathews below). The Mid to late Nineteen Seventies the Trophy Girl could now be purchased on posters prints, seen in magazine promotional ads, and signing autographs for their fan base. With the high popularity of "Miss. Hurst" Linda Vaughn and "Jungle Pam Hardy" girls were being used in every capacity of promoting speed.

The Nineteen Eighties was much of the same for the Trophy Girl, it seemed as though they had reached their pinnacle, there was little more that could be done to hype their image. The hairdos and the fashion changed but, the evolution of the Trophy Girl seemed to slow. With the onslaught of the Aids virus and other STD's kissing the race winner was no longer popular, the nostalgia had worn off (a handshake will do).

During the Nineteen Nineties, through the early Twenty First century the Trophy Girl popularity had taken a backseat to the driver, fans weren't as interested in seeing the girl as they were Dale Earnhardt or Jeff Gordon, the Trophy Girl was just another face in the crowd. The bikini had long ago disappeared, tight pants and large bosoms were not the rage, short skirts and cleavage were gone, it was mainly the "Cup Girl" or "Track Girl" with nice hair from some local village in a prom dress would do.

The local short track Trophy Girl has remained pretty consistent throughout the years, "Miss This or That" has always been a main stay of the local speedway victory circle, usually a Beauty Queen contestant or some Head Honcho's daughter or wife...no kissing allowed!!!

Then, along came the Sprint Cup and a new generation of Trophy Girls emerged; Attractive and athletic, the girls were dressed down in racing firesuits, tailored to their slim, flatter and less curvy figures, the girls look more like Danica Patrick clones than beauty queens of racing's past. Blonde, Brunette and Redheads, they show up behind the driver, nodding their heads during post race interviews, appearing to recognize someone in the crowd, give a big smile or a show of laughter, being sure to show off their pearly whites. Not as much to be desired as in the past since the race suit covers up most everything, the Trophy Girl has become more a pretty face than a busty bosom and curvy figure. Still, there they are, cheerful, energetic, happy for every winner. The Trophy Girl can still strike a pose in Victory Lane and is Photographer's dream.

(Note: Trophy Girls are not to be confused with Race Queens; models wearing next to nothing sprawled out over hoods of cars or licking a tire.)

updated by @jim-wilmore: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

You are a NUT!!! LOL!! Jeff will be thirsty ALL day!!

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

LOL. I wanted to try something different, something that hadn't been done before. I figured I couldn't go wrong, if the articles sucks then pretty girls with big bosom's will make up the difference.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Well...I think you must have hit the proverbial nail on the head!! There have been plenty of men onsite...they might not be saying anything, but I GUARANTEE ....they are looking!! LOL

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

What a great topic, Jim - ands one that at least 50% of us can agree is absolutely terrific - the guys, anyway!

During the time I was Media Relations Director at the Richmond track, from 1990-1999 - we always had a large display at promoter Lenny Sammons annual January Motorsports Expo in the Philadelphia area. Lenny is the longtime publisher of Area Auto Racing News and for many years his show was sponsored by Miller Beer and known as Miller Motorsports Expo. For my money, it has always been head & shoulders the best motorsports show in the country for fans to attend. Most tracks and sponsors would agree.

In conjunction with motorsports marketing guru, Ernie Saxton, Lenny staged an annual pageant to name "Ms. Motorsports." The contestants were the trophy girls from numerous local tracks throughout the northeast and middle Atlantic area. A vital segment of the competition always involves swimsuit modeling and for some reason, all the exhibit booths in the exhibition halls empty of their male personnel during the judging!

Patsy, I'm not sure Jeff's heart could stand seeing all those track trophy gals in their swimsuits at one time!

Here's a couple of photos of the winner and top runners-up a couple of years back. The fellow on the left in the blue shirt, looking like the cat who swallowed the canary, is Motorsports Expo promoter, Lenny Sammons:

Maybe what RacersReunion needs is its own annual trophy girl competition. We could get all the beauties at tracks accessible to say, Myrtle Beach - like those in the states of SC, NC, GA, FL, VA, TN to come over and compete. Maybe we could find a group of old guys on a Tuesday night to do the judging and broadcast the event live via radio. We could call the entrants the "Goat Gals!" For starting this outstanding topic, Jim Wilmore should be a permanent judge of any swimsuit competition among track trophy girls.

Anybody know where we could find a radio studio in Myrtle Beach and a bunch of old guys on a Tuesday evening to help with the judging?!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

A great thread of trophy girl vintage photos started in 2009 at Jalopy Journal's HAMB. It ran for a couple of years. The thread is FIFTY-ONE pages long as of today. GREAT time killer link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376791

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Yeah buddy. For the WIN!!

Oh. Wait. I think I just crossed threads again. Mixed up the trophy girls and ugly cars discussions. Sorry.

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Dave, nice images, er, uh, I mean story, I'd be honored to judge the Goat Gal contestants for their intelligence and talents. The Auto Area Racing News has been around quite a long time now, and I believe a key component to keeping the racing network alive and well in the Northeast. Well I'm glad you all like the article with pictures pictures pictures (Girls Girls Girls). No straight guy can keep from at least taking a peek in here no matter if I did my homework or not.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I don't think a site or judges would be of concern, Dave. May I suggest Harold's on The Ocean at Cherry Grove. My daughter, Sara Jean and I were down that way a year or two. It was in December and SO cold that day. We had not had lunch yet, and Lilly, Sara's daughter was getting fussy. I said, this looks like an interesting place and they served food, and I love to get off the beaten path anyway. So, with Lilly in tow we get out and go in. Well...it was kinda like walking into a Pool Hall, for that was the very first thing you come upon. I notice, the few gentlemen that were in there were somewhat older than myself, but that was fine....I'll take it, if it makes me look younger! LOL I'm sure there may have been a few "Sugar Daddies" in there. But, I had my daughter and granddaughter with me...LOL! We sit down at the back by the window, so we can look out at the ocean. While waiting for our soup and sandwich (which was delicious), Lilly was SO enjoying the flashing lights and overall ambiance. Sara is looking at me like...."Where in the world are we?" This was so far from what her generation is used to, and to be honest, I had never been anywhere like that as well. All of a sudden....Sara Jean, says..Momma!!, what is that hanging on the wall?? I turned and looked, and there hung a defibrillator, and what looked like some other medical equipment!! Well, I had never seen such....so I just said, "well, baby...I guess they keep it just in case" to which she replied, 'Well, Momma this is one place I would certainly feel comfortable with you coming to, if you wanted to get out some!" "WHAT???" LOL! So, I guess....if we had to have a "Goat Gal" pageant, then this would be the safest place....for the "Old Goats" to do some judging.....LOL!!!!!!!! Hey....Bossman??????

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

And the whole time I'm waiting for the part where the topless pole dancer comes out from behind the curtain, hence the reason for the defibrillator.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

I don't know what to say man, it's beautiful car!? Is that you holding the Trophy Girl in her nineteen twenties one piece?

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

At a quick glance it looks like a 3.5 to 4.0 Star restaurant

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Ya'll are having WAY too much fun!! LOL I know what my Pop would be doing right now if he could. But, he can't and I know him....well enough I"ll do it for him..."THANK YOU...BOYS...THANK YOU ALOT!!" LOL!!! I AM my Father's daughter....LOL!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

You're right, Patsy. A defibrillator will have to mandatory equipment if we get the old goats looking at a bunch of scantily clad young women!

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

51 pages TMC?? And, killer link...LOL...it's subject to kill a few!! Lord, have mercy...let me get back to making this Chicken and Pastry..LOL!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Chicken? Let me guess. Breasts?

Just sayin...

LOL

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I should have seen that one, coming!!!!!! LOL Just sayin.....

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

I love HOTOS! Great idea. Goat Gals, hmmm. I like it. But, yes...it does make me thirsty.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

Nice work, Jim! You are one fine historian.

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

That's a great picture of Chubby, and yes, you are your father's daughter, race fan for life.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

How's that THIRST, Bossman??

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

How about sexy "Miss Go Daddy Girl"? Danica Patrick
She can be my "Trophy Girl" anytime.LOL

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

How much did Jeff...pay you for that one?, Dennis..LOL!

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

No pay necesaary.It's obvious Dennis and I have similar tastes.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Jim, I can see opportunities for an entirely new category listing with photos!

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Dave, I didn't want to take it down that alley. I don't imagine the hat maker selling many of those.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I 'spect you're right.

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

I know it's tempting, but it'd get out of hand in a flash.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Did you say, "Flash!"

--
Steve Struve
@steve-struve
12 years ago
47 posts

Time to add my 2 worth....

Some of these photos were published here before. This is the 1968 Miss Dayton Speedway contest. The contestants were in two different convertibles. The first four got it right the second four managed to get out of order somewhere along the way. I have no idea who won. If these young ladies were about twenty at the time of the contest, they would be reaching retirement age about now. Would love to see a comparison photo. My guess is that at least a few "still got it" !

---------

Secondary post, on this same topic. I was working the infield crew one Friday night at Kil-Kare and I was very surprised to see my new bride being dragged out of the grandstands to be pressed into service as the evening's Trophy Girl. Never did find out who's idea it was, and I don't think she ever said. All I remember about it was that she was on anatural"high" and I gotseverely "attacked" after we got home thatnight!

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

LOL, Yep, "...out of hand in a flash." Now if that ain't word play I don't know what is???

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
12 years ago
488 posts

Steve,

First, it looks like 5-8 are not too thrilled to show off their placing in the contest, #5 and #8 look downright disgusted.

I'd imagine your new bride was shocked and thrilled at the same time as were you when you got home.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

I think the trophy girl regressed in 1982 at Wilkesboro. Miss Holly Farms looks a bit ... um, uh, ahem, dowdy?

From Tony Sigmon collection

--
David Daniels
@david-daniels
12 years ago
16 posts

Dave,some of those ladies were involved in racing to a degree.There were quite a few that were not.Some were strippers,models,etc.The contest is fairly open to any lady that desires to compete.When a I see local gal win, that isracer at heart,my respect goes deep.She's not just a pretty face but someone who can back up it with racing knowledge.Summer Smith,Robin Johnson,Billy Jo Steiner are a few that carried that torch.Motorsports is a great time to get to gether with friends,enjoy the sights,have a few laughs etc.

http://www.aarn.com/motorsports2013.html

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Photos of MS. MOTORSPORTS 1986-2012... You might not want to click the link if your wife or girlfriend is standing over yer shoulder, though, lol!

http://www.aarn.com/msmotorsportsofpast.html

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
7 years ago
560 posts

[quote="Dennis Garrett"]

How about sexy "Miss Go Daddy Girl"? Danica Patrick
She can be my "Trophy Girl" anytime.LOL

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA