Christmas Designed by Benny Parsons

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

With everything that has transpired in the past week....this story is even more precious and touching....I just had to share it...Merry Christmas, Tom Higgins..and Thank You....Merry Gentlemen...

A favorite Christmas story

By Tom Higgins - ThatsRacin.com Contributor
Monday, Dec. 17, 2012

All those who observe Christmas likely have a favorite memory of the holiday.

Please permit me to once again share mine.

Its a story of Christmas past, one of long, long ago.

And although it took place well back in the 1970s, what occurred remains vivid in mind as the glorious, most meaningful of days for the worlds Christians draws near. I hope that somewhere a fellow now in middle-age remembers this tale of uncommon caring and generosity as well.

It happened in the small town of Ellerbe, located deep in the heart of North Carolinas piney Sandhills.

The hamlet had gained a measure of notice as the home of 1973 NASCAR Cup Series champion Benny Parsons, who moved there from Detroit to drive for local team owner L.G. DeWitt.

One wintry, dreary December day Bennys two young sons, Keith and Kevin, came home from school with sad faces. Their glumness made the day seem even grayer for Benny, who had been elected president of Ellerbes elementary school.

The boys were upset because they had learned that some of their classmates were not going to receive presents or anything special to eat for Christmas.

Benny immediately checked with teachers and administrators at the school. He found that things were even worse than he imagined in the area that had a high rate of poverty.

Parsons, known throughout motorsports for his tenderness of heart and good-guy nature, set about to rectify the sad situation. He began calling in favors from his many friends in racing.

Donations of winter jackets, shoes, food, toys and Christmas candy began accumulating.

On short notice a big party was scheduled for Ellerbe Elementarys auditorium the night before holiday recess was to begin.

Some of stock car racings foremost stars showed up to take part.

The Wood Brothers, Glen and Leonard, had a choir from their church in Stuart, Va., travel down by bus to sing the carols.

Children who never had known much of a Christmas were wide-eyed as Santa called their names to come forward and receive gifts.

One little fellow, a lad of 7 or 8, strode over to where Benny and I stood watching. He held a toy truck in one hand and a pair of new sneakers in the other.

Mr. Benny, what am I supposed to do with these? he asked.

Benny was stunned.

Why, take them home, son. Theyre yours, he said.

The kids face expressed astonishment.

To keep? he asked.

Benny gulped. His eyes moistened, as did mine, as Benny leaned down to give the little guy a hug.

Then Benny excused himself to be alone for a bit.

It was a Christmas moment moment I always will hold very special.

Benny Parsons, the winner of 21 races, 20 poles and named one of NASCARs 50 Greatest Drivers, passed away on Jan. 16, 2007, at age 65 of complications from cancer.

God rest ye, Merry Gentleman.

Read more here: http://www.thatsracin.com/2012/12/17/98792/a-favorite-christmas-story.html#storylink=cpy

updated by @patsy-thompkins-keisler: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Please feel free to add any special Christmas moments you might have....we would all love to hear them...

~Patsy Jean~

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

It is a beautiful story.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
12 years ago
820 posts

What a wonderful feelgood story. I got to chat with Benny one time at the old Dayton Speedway and he was a warm friendly person. May he forever rest in peace and know he was well admired.

David Daniels
@david-daniels
12 years ago
16 posts

True Benny Story.It's 1996 and its Speedweeks at Daytona.My team was staying at the same hotel as Benny and his wife.Well,we got back to the motel room from after working at the track all day.I forgot something in the truck and went down to get it by way of the elevator.Once I entered the elevator,Benny and his wife were on it heading down to the bottom level as I was.I knew he was going to supper,so I messed with him a little.I laughingly suggested a different floor and he walked in front of the control panel and said,"No,I'm going to eat and don't mess with it."He wasn't joking,at least I don't think he was,LOL.That gave me a good laugh for the night.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

I believe that, David...sounds like him...LOL