Some Different Ways NASCAR Could Penalize Errant Drivers

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Forget for a moment whether or not you think NASCAR should have penalized Denny Hamlin for his recent remarks to a television announcer.

With all that has been written and opinionized about NASCAR's recent $25,000 fine of Denny Hamlin, I would contend that a $25,000 fine issued to any one of today's tenured NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers isn't going to be very effective.

With the earning power of today's crop of NASCAR drivers with 60/40 or 50/50 earnings splits from the car owner, sponsor personal service and endorsement contracts, not to mention ad revenue and concession sales, I'd maintain that to most drivers of the current generation that monetary fine is a mere drop in the bucket and more of a nuisance like a mosquito bite.

If I were NASCAR and really wanted to get one of today's premier series drivers' attention, I'd start with the driver's million dollar motorcoach.

I'd let Mr./Ms. Premier Series driver know that they weren't going to be allowed to park their motorcoach at the track for the next however many races. Further, they would not be allowed in the motorcoach parking area at all to "visit" other drivers, car owners, etc.

I'd make a reservation for the driver at one of the "bedbug inns" 25 miles from the track with a ten day minimum stay like the fans must pay and make the driver stay there.

Just imagine... fans might actually see a driver out at a motel or restaurant like they used to see them when a fan could actually talk to a driver.

During the day I'd force the driver to hang out in the garage at the hauler when not in the car. We always knew where to find Dale Earnhardt in the "old" days when he wasn't in the car. He could always be found in his hammock in the back of the Osterlund/Moore/Childress hauler.

Also, take away the driver's priviliged track parkling pass. Make the driver park where the fans park and walk to the garage.

While NASCAR is at it, they might consider penalizing the driver's team by not allowing its personal chef to set up their rig at the track and cook gourmet meals for the team. Make them eat Martinsville hotdogs instead. Better yet, make 'em eat viennas and bologna like we used to eat at the track.

Perhaps we might require the driver ride in the transporter from Charlotte to Sonoma instead of flying in their personal jet.

I'm sure there are a number of creative penalties that might be thought up to bring a driver's ego back to earth when NASCAR determines the driver needs a reality check.

The same type penalties might be also applied to the television network announcers. Too many boogity, boogity, boogities and DW gets his motorcoach parking taken away for a race. If DW talks about another driver's big mouth, the same penalty could be enforced.

Does anybody else think a $25,000 fine is pretty meaningless to today's top tier NASCAR driver?

Can you think of some creative penalties besides money?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

How about the driver be assigned a week of tagging RacersReunion photos? LOL

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Chase, they might learn some history of their sport while they're tagging. They could look at Johnny Mallonee's father's "hauler" and compare it to theirs.

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

dave i like your creative ideas 25 grand to these rich drivers would have been a lot of sponsor money to people like jd mcduffie back in the day this is alot of money to people like me but like you said its just a drop in the bucket to those drivers of today

david earnhardt
@david-earnhardt
11 years ago
112 posts

this is so funny - i just love this stuff - awesome !!!

Wayne Wilson
@wayne-wilson
11 years ago
39 posts

How about make the driver stay in the infield at least 2 hours after the race doing autographs and actually talking to fans.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Awesome Dave!!!!! I love it. Talk about returning to the way it used to be "back in the day". And our drivers did just fine that way. More creativity from you, please! I would add one additional penalty could be confinement to a room with Mikey Waltrip for 24 hours while be jacked up on 5 Hour Engery drinks. Could there be worse punishment?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Make 'em sit through hours of repeat airings of all the ED commercials we have to endure on TV each Sunday.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

If you are locked in the room for 3 hours or more call your doctor.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

That would really make you want to take drastic measures, like sign autographs and say hi to fans.

--