Hamlin Drops Appeal; NASCAR Says Matter Closed (and will collect $$$ under Section 12-3)

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Denny Hamlin tweets he will not appeal NASCAR's fine
Nate Ryan, USA TODAY Sports5:59p.m. EDT March 14, 2013
Driver says he stands behind his decision not to pay, but understands NASCAR will do what it has to.

Hamlin was fined $25,000 on March 7 for perceived negative comments about NASCAR's new Gen 6
He immediately announced his decision to appeal, and later tweeted that 'I believe I was severely disrespected by NASCAR'

NASCAR will take the money from Hamlin's purse money or points fund bonus

Denny Hamlin has decided not to appeal a $25,000 fine by NASCAR for making comments about the new car that the sactioning body viewed as detrimental.

In a post late Thursday afternoon on Twitter, the Joe Gibbs Racing driver said, "After a lot of thought I have decided not to appeal the fine NASCAR has issued. Dragging myself, my team and NASCAR through the mud for the next 2 weeks would not be good for anyone. I firmly believe I am in the right on this issue and will stand behind my decision not to pay. I understand NASCAR will do what they feel is necessary based on my decision. Thanks to all of my fans and peers who have supported me in this decision. I look forward to putting it to rest."

HAMLIN: 'I'm not going to pay the fine'

In a statement, NASCAR announced the penalty would be settled per Section 12-3 of its rulebook. Under that rule, NASCAR can garnish a driver's purse money or points fund bonuses. NASCAR also said it "considered this matter closed."

"There was dialogue between Denny and NASCAR during the week, and this was the resolution that came about," NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp said. "We are all looking forward to putting this behind us."

The statistics from the first two races of the season supported Hamlin's contention. The Daytona 500 featured fewer green-flag passes than last season. According to NASCAR statistics, Phoenix featured 1,213 green-flag passes Sunday with the Gen 6 vs. 1,658 with last year's model on Nov. 11 at the 1-mile oval.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Do I read Nolo contendere here???

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts
In Latin, I think this would be called a quid pro quo. In layman's terms, its a way for both to save face. NASCAR allows Denny to remain a bit of the tough guy by dropping his appeal and keep his "suspend me if you will" attitude.Meanwhile, NASCAR gets to back away from their overreaction without outright rescinding the penalty. And I'm sure over a beer or two, hey reminded Denny "we'll still be listening".Highly doubtful the fine will ever be actually deducted from anything. Even if it is, ther will be no way to know.Probably easiest way for parties to back away and just get back to racing.Betting too this scenario was crafted by the coach because I don't see the creativity of it coming from Daytona HQ.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
david earnhardt
@david-earnhardt
11 years ago
112 posts

too much country - you are on the money !!! you nailed this one .

Wally Bell
@wally-bell
11 years ago
83 posts

Not sure of all the latin usages... simple advice to denny... STFU..... pig latin? lol

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

There's a shocker.... said nobody. Much further down this path, and Denny would be the new Jeremy Mayfield.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

yessir, Chase....

Mr. Gibbs & somebody at NASCAR with a few brains hashed this out pretty quick to get it to go disappear.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Stick to your position Denny. Let them take it out of your winnings, IF and WHEN they decide to do so.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.