A Racing History Minute - April 6, 1952

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

This trip back in the history books actually takes us to Martinsville, Virginia, where the NASCAR boys are running this weekend. In 1952, the track was a half mile dirt track and they raced 200 laps, or 100 miles.

Twenty-two cars started that race in 1952 with Buck Baker in a Hudson leading the field from the pole. On the 118th lap of the race, JIMMY LEWALLEN flipped his Plymouth and was badly shaken but not seriously injured. On lap 138, Fonty Flock's Oldsmobile threw a wheel and he dislocated his shoulder in the aftermath of that accident.

Buck Baker led the first 20 laps but broke a hub on his Hudson to be sidelined. Tim Flock took over in another Hudson and led three different times but finally broke a spindle on lap 162 and had to park it. The race then came down to a two man shoot out between BILL BLAIR driving an Oldsmobile and a driver from Los Angeles named Dick Rathman. Rathman was able to power his Hudson around the Olds of BILL BLAIR with 20 laps to go and managed to hold off the charging BLAIR for those twenty laps. My personal observation (otherwise known as a guess) is that Rathman was practicing what we now know as blocking,but that is purely my speculation.

So, all those many years ago, the boys were racing in Martinsville, albeit dirt then, and a totally different scene. But still it was racing at its very best with some really great drivers involved. I use all "caps" for BILL BLAIR and JIMMY LEWALLEN because they are two guys very close to our RacersReunion family of racers.

The top five finishers at Martinsville on April 6. 1952, were:

1. Dick Rathman, Hudson, winning $1,000.00

2. Bill Blair, Oldsmobile, winning $700.00

3. Perk Brown, Hudson, winning $450.00

4. Lee Petty, Plymouth, winning $350.00

5. Bobby Courtright, Oldsmobile, winning $200.00

Herb Thomas drove his Hudson home 8th, Jim Paschal in a Ford was 10th, Tim Flock was 11th and Curtis Turner was 12th, both driving Hudsons. JIMMIE LEWALLEN finished 16th in a Plymouth although he crashed out of the race. Pole winner Buck Baker was 20th.

When we are watching the race from Martinsville Sunday, either by television or in person, remember it was the guys back in 1952 who were paving the way (literally) for the men and women that race that track and so many others today. Without that glorious past, we would have nothing to watch today. Remember these guys and honor their contributions every chance you get.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:57PM
Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Thank you, Tim...I saw you up late, posting this. I too, getting ready for a weekend of racing..at the local dirt track, and then Martinsville on Sunday. Have company coming in tomorrow, to go to the race with me...so up vacuuming and cleaning. But...it is Race Season....and we keep late hours...because we love the Sport, don't we, Legend?

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

Honestly Tim, the way you tell it brings this race back to life! Its almost as if we're sitting right there watching. We do praise them and many others (such as you) for their contributions to the great sport of racing as we know it today. :) ~jan~

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Patsy, to answer your question, YES. YES we do. Have fun at Martinsville. Should be a great race.

Dr. Janice, thank you for the kind words. It is sort of weird when I'm reading the stories of these old races that although I may not have been at the race I'm writing about, I did attend so many races with my Uncle Bobby that all the drivers and cars I talk about are familiar to me. I take what I read from the "historic record" Greg Fielden worked so hard to put together for us and then write it in my own words. I have always believed we could not afford to lose the memories of those early days of racing and when Jeff Gilder gave me a venue to use I became determined to use it to the best advantage. I love being a part of all this. Thank you for your support of RacersReunion and your kind support of my efforts.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Tim.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

This was also one of those unique NASCAR wins by a driver racing a 3-digit number. Rathman won in car #120.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Rathman's #120 on the Beach Road Course at Daytona in 1952.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Jimmy Lewallen's car after it came to rest from Getty Images

http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/109006078

1952 Martinsville Lewallen getty109006078.png

Dick Rathman in victory lane from Getty Images

http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/102661527

1952 Martinsville Rathman getty102661527.png

Brief race report from Spartanburg Herald

1952 Martinsville Flock Rathman 040752SHJ.png

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 04/06/17 10:45:57AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Llewannen and Pettis, eh? At least they got the winner right... unless it was really JIM Rathman!😃

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Reckon a jar of Virginia cherry bounce was passed around the press room near deadline time?

--