Racing History Minute - April 18, 1960

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I post this Racing History Minute in hopes that my good friend, Harlow Reynolds, may stumble upon it and add some of his special memories.

On April 18, 1960 (a good year in my book) the quarter mile paved track in Winston-Salem, NC, more commonly known as Bowman Gray Stadium, held a 200 lap/50 mile race. Only 15 cars showed for the event and there was not one lead change in the entire race as Glen Wood started his Ford on the pole and led the entire 200 laps. This was the first Grand National (now Cup) win for Glen although he had been a terror on modified tracks for some time. It was also the third consecutive win for Ford in the 1960 season.

Junior Johnson borrowed a Chevrolet for the race, qualified last, and finished last as the engine blew after two laps. Richard Petty increased his points lead over his father in this event, leading the points after 13 races of his first full season in the Grand National Series. Just a heads up here though. Richard would NOT win his first championship in 1960. That honor went to a very deserving Rex White.

Top Five Finishers were:

1. Glen Wood, Ford, winning $900.00

2. Rex White, Chevrolet, winning $475.00

3. Jimmy Massey, Ford, winning $400.00 (also a Glen Wood Ford)

4. Richard Petty, Plymouth, winning $305.00

5. Ned Jarrett, Ford, winning $245.00

Finishers sixth through fifteenth were Tom Pistone, Fred Harb, Jimmy Pardue, Bob Welborn, Bunkie Blackburn, PAUL LEWIS, Lee Petty, Neil Castles, Jimmy Lewallen, and Junior Johnson. Paul Lewis is in all caps as he is the reason RacersReunion exists.

RACING HISTORY MINUTE EXTRA FOR THE DAY:

The following quoted statements are from an article I read last night:

"BUT, ALAS and alak, racing will never go back to the "good old days" when everyone was an independant and winning depended entirely upon which driver was the best mechanic and would keep his foot on it the longest.

First off, the sport has become too widely publicized for it to ever go back to those formative years and the situations that existed then. Automotive firms, everyone from the manufacturer of the cars to the makers of the valve stems, have to recognize the advertising they get by supporting racing.

Secondly, promoters as well as sanctioning groups, feel that the racing fans themselves would never stand still for a return to the dark ages.

.........Sometimes you feel like racing is heading into an era where the drivers will be like today's baseball players. Baseball became big business with its bonus babies and now the player spends as much time checking on the stock market ventures as he does in the batting cage.

Racing hasn't become that yet, but the move is certainly in that direction. Not that anyone begrudes the drivers one penny of the money they make. On the contrary, if anything, these guys work for peanuts considering the risks they take.

But no one would like to see the drivers lose their down to earth approach to the sport or to the fans. Who wants to pull for some guy who comes to the track in a chauffer driven Cadillac?

.......If it gets too big, it loses a whole lot of the personal touch that made it big in the first place"

END OF QUOTE.

What did that quoted section have to do with a History Minute you may ask? When do you think it was written and by whom?

That quote is only a portion of a column entitled "Exhaust Fumes" written each week by Bob Hoffman in a now defunct publication known as "Southern Motorsports Journal". This particular column appeared in the issue of that paper dated April 18, 1968. That's right. Forty-five years ago Bob Hoffman was talking about much the same thing we often discuss here today. Just thought you folks may enjoy that extra this morning.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Tim. Loved my Southern MotorSports Journals. Began subscribing in 1965 after waiting each week for them to arrive at a local news vendor in Richmond. Bob Hoffman eventually moved from High Point, NC to Opp, Alabama with the U.S. Postal Service. Benny Phillips, who contributed heavily to the paper was employed at the High Point Enterprise.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I just discovered that former Southern MotorSports Journal publisher, Bob Hoffman is a member here at RR and has Legend listed as his friend. According to Bob's RR page, his first race was in 1958 at Bowman Gray Stadium.

Bob's RR page:

http://racersreunion.com/bob-hoffman

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

That is awesome Dave! I had no idea Bob was a member here but I am very pleased. I hope he reads my post and realizes that, after all these years, his comments back then make even more sense than when they were written. But, instead of chauffer driver Cadillacs, it's jet planes and million dollar motor homes.

I always appreciate you reading and commenting.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Ready to race with Lee Petty "sparking" the field. Never heard that one before I don't think.

Source: The Robesonian of Lumberton NC

Race recap. The article refers to a Holiday GN race. Easter fell late in 1960 - occurring on April 17. The race was one of the rare ones in history run on a Monday.

Source: Spartanburg Herald-Journal

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 03/24/17 01:04:37PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Hmm. the "Greek" from Richmond had a big gas tank at Wilson in Keysville's Virginia's Monroe Shook's Chevy. Sounds just like today! Flagged the winner, then DQ'd and credited with last place.

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

another great post tim i enjoy your history minutes thanks again tim

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Charles Stocks, thank you for your kind comments. I am really enjoying doing these History Minutes and with Dave and Chase adding information and your making such nice comments, I may keep on doing them. I do appreciate you taking time to read and comment.

--

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

MAY keep on doing them?? Tim - you are now committed. Gotta make your laps. Can't start-and-park on us now. Ha ha.

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Chase, I'm loving it. Doing these things is like a trip back through my life. What I was saying is that with you and Dave contributing your vast collection of knowledge, and such nice comments from all the other readers, I'm not about to give it up unless forced to! I deeply appreciate all you contribute.

--

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Tim, you are like Junior Johnson describing the pig and bacon... you ARE committed!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--