Racing History Minute - April 26, 1958

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Today we are going "open top" racing again with a convertible event on this date, in 1958, held at the .4 mile track in Hickory, NC, which was, at that time, a dirt track.

Twenty-three of the "rag tops" showed up for the 60 mile event. Jimmy Massey in a Petty Engineering 1957 Oldsmobile (wonder if that is the same one Richard would use in his first race less than three months later), snagged the pole position with Bob Welborn in a J.H. Petty Chevrolet to his outside. This is one event in Greg Fielden's book "Rumbling Ragtops" that has very little detail of race action but does tell us some of the favorites were sidelined early.

Glen Wood was parked after one lap with a blown engine. Buck Baker, who ran convertibles only on occassion, had to park his Chevrolet after four laps when the seat in the car broke loose. Possum Jones wrecked on lap 70 of the 150 lap race and Joe Weatherly lost his steering and was out at 75 laps. Only two cars finished on the lead lap.

Coming into this race, Tiny Lund was leading the points in the convertible division. At the end of the race, he was in a tie with race winner Bob Welborn for that point lead.

Top five finishers were:

1. Bob Welborn, J.H. Petty Chevrolet, winning $600.00

2. Ken Rush, J.H. Petty Chevrolet, winning $480.00

3. Jimmy Massey, Petty Engineering Oldsmobile, winning $345.00

4. Wilbur Rakeshaw, Joe Jones Ford, winning $275.00

5. Larry Frank, Larry Frank Chevrolet, winning $230.00

Sixth through tenth were J.V. Hamby, Barney Shone, Freb Harb, Tiny Lund and Billy Cardin. Other finishers of note were Neil Castles 12th, Joe Weatherly 18th, Possum Jones 19th, Roy Tyner 20th , Buck Baker 22nd, and Glen Wood 23rd.

Honor the past, embrace the present and dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Had to be an amazing spectacle to be able to look right into the open top cockpits and watch the drivers throw 'em sideways on the dirt!

Thanks, Tim. Wish I had seen a convertible race. Petty family had the field covered on this date, didn't they?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Interesting that Jimmy Massey raced for Petty Engineering to finish 3rd. Two years later, he was chasing Richard Petty's Plymouth as he raced a Wood Brothers Ford. A blog re-visit about Massey's Run.

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2012/10/masseys-run.html

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

The race got some ink - a little though not much - in the Spartanburg Herald Journal .

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Welborn was en fuego in the spring of 1958. His Hickory ragtop win was his 5th consecutive NASCAR win in a row of 5 GN and convertible races he entered. (There were some additional GN races in which he didn't compete.) His streak of 5 ended with the Hickory win. But he had some quality top 10s in the next 3 races before picking up two more GN wins to wrap up his month of May.

04/05/58 Fayetteville (GN) - win
04/07/58 Winston-Salem (CV) - win
04/13/58 Weaverville (CV) - win
04/20/58 Martinsville (GN) - win
04/26/58 Hickory (CV) - win
05/02/58 Columbia (CV) - 3rd
05/04/58 Wilson (CV) - 2nd
05/10/58 Darlington (CV) - 6th
05/11/58 Greensboro (GN) - win
05/24/58 Winston-Salem (GN) - win

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

I borrowed some info from Tim's post, added a bit of my own and blogged about Welborn's 5th consecutive win in Julian's Chevy. Read on for more:

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2015/04/april-26-1958-welborn-wins-hickory.html

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--