Kyle Petty Pit Board Sign (early 80's)

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

Just wondering if anyone here can help me with the basic dimensions of the photo I found off Richmond Gage's page.

I am looking for anything that would tell me what it was made of to be peroid correct for the time.

Below is the photo of Richmond holding the sign up.

I asked Richmond today but since he hasnt posted anything on his page since 2011 I figured I would ask everyone here.

I think the pit board sign would be a great addition to my Kyle Petty tribute car.

updated by @james-boyle: 08/14/18 05:52:18AM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

James, I can't say what Kyle's sign was made of but in the early 70's ours were made of a man made material that I think was called masonite.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Member 77 - Good to see you here. Mike Beam might be a good one to provide some insight. He used to participate from time to time at Randy Ayers Modeling Forum. Might be worth taking a crack at sending him a private message there. And you know, it wouldn't surprise me if that pit board is still on the premises in one of those old buildings. I've wandered through many of them in my 2 visits there. But there is one on the left hand side of the property that stretches back to near the woods that we didn't get to see. I'll bet its full of all kinds of stuff. Who knows - that board could well be in there.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
11 years ago
820 posts

James, If you cant find a definite answer I would say the sign is 30 in high by 42 in wide. The fellow holding the sign looks to be of average height of 5'7-5'9. My wife is 5'8 and I had her hold her arms up at a 45 degree angle and measured between her hands and got the 42 in. The sign looks to be a 3/4 ratio between width and height.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's an e-mail address and telephone number for Richmond at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College:

Gage, Richmond
Program Chair in Motorsports Management Technology [+]
email richmond.gage@rccc.edu
phone (704) 216-3918

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Wally Bell
@wally-bell
11 years ago
83 posts

I'll bet you can get a actual one from one of the teams... repaint it. Woods Bros.,Petty, Tiger ?

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

Maby Billy Bisco could could help aka arustyracer

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

TMC Chase,

Thank you for your reply. I know Mike Beam use to be the crew chief for Kyle Petty back in 1981. The same year my car was modeled after. As far as the Pit board still being at Petty Enterprises (Petty's Garage now). I have been there alot over the past 2 years. I just didnt think to ask. The Building to the left is the paint shop now. But next time I am there I will ask for sure. Thank you again for your input.

Member # 77.

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

Thank you Dennis,

I will check and see what I can find at hardware stores if this will soot my needs.

James

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

McPeek,

I want to thank you and your wife going through the effort. I could see you asking her to hold her arms out and you getting tape measure or a string. LOL

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

Thank you.

I will not bother someone at work with this.

I did here from Richmond and I will post what he told me.

James

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it.

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

Thank you Leon.

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

I know I thanked everyone who tried to answer my question about the Pit Boards sign.

Just so you all know I did get a reply from Richmond Gage. This is what he told me.

James, as far as I can remember, and this was 31 years ago, the pit boards were
like chalkboards (the back you cannot see was slate, so if the radio went out, a
message could be written on it). They painted one side and put the number it
(the day-glo was for Kyle, Petty blue for The King). Dowels were used to make
the handles (not sure of the exact dimesions), and slotted to fit the board.

This is a start and I will be hunting or making one to go along with my KP tribute car.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim/James/Member # 77

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

Thank you for all the info! My hunt begins.

I will post photos of the pit board sign when I have it finished,

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
11 years ago
308 posts

I have a couple cans of petty blue paint that I got from the petty's a few years back that is still ok as far as I know. If that would help.

James Boyle
@james-boyle
11 years ago
12 posts

Thanks for the offer Mike. I will get back with you when I am ready.