June 14, 1959 - (A) Petty wins Lakewood

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

June 14, 1959: Richard Petty picks up his first career Grand National win at Lakewood Speedway near Atlanta, GA!

Wait.. What? Who? Seriously? No way. Why? Sigh. OK.

Yep, it seems Richard's first win would have to wait until another day. His checkered flag was successfully protested by none other than his dad, Papa Lee.

Read on for more.

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2013/06/june-14-1959-petty-wins-lakewood.html

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I was just reviewing the races from this date for the History Minute when I came across this one. I laughed to myself thinking "I'm not going to touch this one because I know Chase is going to do a great job presenting it. As always, great job. I will have to reserve the Richard Petty first race in the convertibles for my History Minute that day in July as that was the night I first met The King and in which he indicates I got his first autograph as a race driver. I still have vivid memories of that race, some I'm sure from all the other stories and accounts I heard from others, but for me that night was special. But Richard only finished sixth so I should be good to go without interfering with you! lol.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Lakewood had to be a cool place to watch a race.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Have wondered if folks took to floats, inner tubes, etc. with a cooler of beer to take in the day.

--
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
11 years ago
589 posts

This is the only picture I have on my computer of the Flagstand from that race. At Richard's retirement party in 92 at the Georgia Dome, the then owner of the Lakewood property restored the flagstand and gave it to Richard. In 2008, Richard donated it to us at the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame. Under the stand are two original Lakewood winning cars - Lloyd Seay and Gober Sosebee. I'll try and get a picture of the placard that explains the history of the flagstand and the incident between Richard and Lee in 1959.

-Cody

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Cool. Thanks Cody. Hope you saw the shout-out I gave you, Brandon, and GeorgiaRacingHistory.com in my blog post.

--
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
11 years ago
589 posts

I did! Greatly appreciated!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

That's a great photo, Cody. I remember your story of going to pick up the flagstand.

Permalink Reply by Cody Dinsmore on April 29, 2012 at 7:33pm

In July or August of 2008, my dad and I traveled up to Level Cross to get the flagstand from Lakewood Speedway. Lakewood was where he supposedly got his first win until Lee took it away from him in 1959, so when he retired and had the party at the GA dome in 1992, the owner of Lakewood Park restored the flagstand and gave it to Richard. Anyway, August of 2008 was the first year of the Lakewood Reunion at the GRHOF and Richard donated it to us. When he got their we pulled up to the front office with our truck and trailer. Then as we got out, a guy on a forklift came around with a whole crew of guys to help us load the stand on our trailer. When the man on the forklift jumped down, I asked him if Richard was around (since we had heard that he showed up on Tuesday and Wednesdays usually) and as I said that, he turned around and pointed to an all black Chrylser 300 with a customized license plate, which I won't tell. He parked next to our truck (Thank God it was a Dodge!) and he kicked open the door, pulled his lanky-self out, spit some tobacco, and said "Man, I guess I can't even get my own parking spot anymore". I was right there to meet him. We introduced our selves (There was also another GRHOF volunteer with us) and when we got done introducing our selves, he replied with "Well my name's Richard, and I used to drive a race car" He signed a picture, my autograph (which I told him he could have an entire page!) and 1/64 car set of his 7 championship cars with a Petty Hauler. Then he invited me into the main office to look at some pictures. After I went to the bathroom, I went back outside to sit on the bench and watch the guys load the big flagstand on our trailer. (Note that this flagstand stands probably 20 ft high.) And as I was sitting down, out walked Richard with an arm-full of hats. There was atleast 8 or 10 in his stack. He put them on his car, while he opened the door, then threw them in, just tossed them in. I was actually thinking about asking where I could get one, hoping I would get one, but I chickened out! lol. So after it was all said and done, he let us look in his car shop, which is more full now where they build all of the challengers and mustangs and restore and what-not, but this was about 3 months after the move to Mooresville and all was in there were a couple of old cars, one or two Plymouths, two Morris Minors and a couple of custom golf carts. Then his restored 57' Olds convertible race car came in on a wrecker which was REALLY cool!

Then before we left, he gave us directions to his museum where the ladies up front let us in for free after we explained what we were hauling! And as I'm sure most of ya'll know, there are tons of stuff in there including tons of hats, There was even a silver hat given to Richard by Winston.

I would love a hat by the people who make his, but judging by the video at $600, I don't think it'll be even after I graduate!!!!

-Cody

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
11 years ago
589 posts

Your good Dave! I doubt I would've even found that! haha. Thanks

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts