Racing History Minute - June 15, 1966

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

When the site started this Racing History Minute of April 5, 2013, I was sure there would be things to learn along the way and, for me at least, that has been the case. In preparing the minute for today, I came across an interesting piece of information I did not know. In the 1966 season, at least, NASCAR had what were called "General Guidelines" in addition to the infamous NASCAR Rule Book. Those "Guidelines" required that ONLY the top 22 finishers in any race were guaranteed, or more succintly, entitled to a part of the prize money. The race for our History Minute today had 31 entrants so 9 of the participants received NO prize money. Included in those 9 were Buck Baker, David Pearson, Tom Pistone and Wendell Scott.

The race for today was held at Beltsville Speedway, a half-mile paved facility located in Beltsville, MD.The race would run 100 miles/200 laps on the half-mile asphalt track. Richard Petty put the Petty Enterprises Plymouth on the pole with David Pearson, points leader at the time, in second place. Tiger Tom Pistone would start third and Bobby Allison fourth.

Richard Petty shot into the lead from the number one starting spot with David Pearson in close and hot pursuit. The first 33 laps were a nip and tuck battle between the two factory rides before Pearson's number 6 Dodge blew the rear end and he was forced to park his ride. This should have made it an easy run for the number 43 Plymouth but on lap 71, the engine blew in the blue rocket, and Petty joined Pearson in the pits.

Tiny Lund, in his Lyle Stelter Ford took over the lead upon Petty's departure and the hard charger kept that Ford in front but was challenged by a rookie Dodge driver, James Hylton. Bobby Allison was running third in a Chevrolet when he spun with 22 laps to go and this set up a sprint to the finish between the fish camp owner (Lund) and the rookie (Hylton). Going into the last lap, Lund appeared to have a clear victory when Hylton pulled up even with the Ford and the race to the line resulted in Lund winning by less than two feet over Hylton. Hylton, although in his rookie season, was holding a strong second in the seasonal point standings as well. This was Tiny's third career Grand National (now Cup) win. Tiny's win in the 1963 Daytona 500 in a Wood Brothers Ford was every bit as spectacular as Trevor Bayne winning in a Wood Brothers Ford all those years later.

Top five finishers were:

1. Tiny Lund, Lyle Stelter Ford, winning $1,000.00

2. James Hylton, Bud Hartie Dodge, winning $600.00

3. Hank Thomas, W.S.Jenkins Ford, winning $400.00

4. John Sears, L. G. DeWitt Ford, winning $300.00

5. G. C. Spencer, Henley Gray Ford, winning $275.00

Sixth through tenth were Blackie Watt, Johnny Wynn, Neil Castles, Don Isreal and Roy Tyner. Buddy Baker was 12th, J.D. McDuffie 13th, Bobby Allison 15th, Elmo Langley 16th , Clyde Lynn 18th,and Richard Petty 21st. Finishing 22nd and in the last "paying" position was Sonny Hutchins.

The drivers finishing 23rd through 31st, who receive NO money were Gene Black, Jimmy Helms, Henley Gray, Buck Baker, David Pearson, Bill Champion, Tom Pistone, Joe Holder, and Wendell Scott. Learning this information today adds an new dimension to my understanding of the "start and park" drivers of today.

Adding a personal note here, Lyle Stetler's garage was located in Columbia, SC, where I live, close to the small airport. I would go in and out of the modest building all the time and would often encounter Tiny just hanging out there. All the stories you hear (and Tiger Tom can back this up) about Tiny's penchant for fun are entirely true. Tiny had an unique appreciation for life that he shared with all who encountered him. Tiny's death in the August, 1975, event in Talladega took one of the world's true "bigger than life" (in many ways) from us far too early. His widow, Wanda, was a member of RacersReunion and we enjoyed many hours with her at events in Augusta, Columbia, Hillsborough and Mooresville. Ann and I attended Wanda's funeral on that January day(was that this year or last year, my mind can't keep up with time these days) and the kind things said about her that day barely scratched the surface of the wonderful person she was. Tiny's impact on NASCAR racing may not appear stellar in the overall record books, but for anyone who ever met him, he is an infinite part of what has made NASCAR the sport it is.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
11 years ago
219 posts

When Tiny came down south, he "camped out" at at daddy's garage on Indiana Ave. in Winston-Salem till he got settled. I'll never forget him stuffing me inside a stack of tires and everyone having a laugh at my expense. I thought I would get "even" years later at Atlanta when I was a Goodyear tire buster but guess what? Same results. Heck of a man was Tiny Lund. And I had the pleasure of attending Mr. Day's bash on June 2nd with the 3rd place finishier from your 1966 event, Mr. Hank Thomas. Still going strong at 75.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Tim, thank you for selecting as today's Racing History Minute my favorite race of all I have seen in 49 years of attending and watching NASCAR Grand National / Cup events. I'm not sure how many events that might be, but this was the best of the best!

Having been at that race, I can tell folks that Pearson was NOT in hot pursuit of the Petty Plymouth. Pearson, starting on the outside pole, dropped the drive shaft of his #6 Cotton Owens' Dodge at the start/finish line when the green was displayed. He immediately pitted (then briefly returned and ran some laps before retiring) while the #43 romped through the field until blowing sky high - something you didn't associate with Petty engines.

It's now been 47 years since my Dad drove my buddy Frank and I from Richmond up to Beltsville for that Wednesday night race. My two greatest memories of that night were 1) seeing the debut of the Bobby Allison / J.D. Bracken Chevelle, replete with adhesive tape #2s and 2) the tremendous battle waged between Tiny Lund and James Hylton for the win. I've never seen a car broadslide on asphalt for as many laps as Tiny did that evening.

With no intent to hijack your post, I am going to re-post my personal memories of that evening right after my high school graduation that I shared last summer on our RR Home Page. Thanks, again, Tim.

INDEPENDENTS DAY by: Dave Fulton

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's a photo of the inspiration for our Stock Car RacersReunion site, driver Paul Lewis taking a qualifying lap at the long gone Beltsville Speedway in 1967 a year after the recapped race. Photo is by our RR member Fred Sanford and posted on his page.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Race report from Spartanburg Herald Journal

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Also, I found this photo of Tiny in Lyle Stetler's car that is supposedly from the 2nd Beltsville race on August 24, 1966 in which he finished 5th. But I'm guessing his race-winning car in June 1966 looked just like it.

Source: Carolina Race Place

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Back in 1966, after you got off the main Baltimore-Washington Expressway, you drove through the United States Department of Agriculture Beltsville Agricultural Research Center to get to Beltsville Speedway. The countryside around the track was absolutely gorgeous. This photo from the USDA shows the countryside near the Beltsville Speedway.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

No post by Tim Leeming about the magnificent Beltsville Speedway would be complete without a picture of one of The Legend's heroes at that fabled establishment. This photo was taken in 1978, twelve years after the described race and appears on the web site www.cityalice.com as an illustration of all things wonderful about Beltsville, Maryland! I believe you'll recognize the driver!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Clicking on the link below will take you to a photo & description of all that's left of Beltsville Speedway:

http://www.3widespicturevault.com/miscellaneous_pics&vitals/H09.16.11_BEL_PIT_BEL_2011M_1.htm" target="_blank"> http://www.3widespicturevault.com/miscellaneous_pics&vitals/H09...

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

In the FIRST 1966 race at Beltsville, the King appears to have driven his familiar #43. But when the tour returned for the SECOND event of the season in August, he raced a #42.

Here is a photo from Ray Lamm's collection .

Why? I have no idea. Beltsville was his 3rd in a series of 4 races where he raced 42:

• Columbia
  • Asheville-Weaverville
  • BELTSVILLE
  • Bowman Gray

He returned to the 43 for the 1966 Southern 500 but then went back to 42 for the next 2 races at Hickory and Richmond.

In the early 60s, the Pettys often rotated cars between 41, 42 and 43. Jim Paschal, Maurice, Jim Hurtubise, King, etc. seemed to rotate from time to time based I suppose on which car had the best chance of winning.

But in 1966, PE didn't actively campaign two cars. Paschal, Marvin Panch, PAUL LEWIS, and Darel Dieringer drove about a half-dozen races for PE COMBINED. Otherwise, it was pretty much just a Richard only year.

So I wonder why PE put Richard behind the wheel of a 42 when there wasn't a 43 also on the track.

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 06/15/17 09:59:20AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I'd love to hear the answer to the question you pose, Chase, about why the #42?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

50 years ago tonight on June 15, 1966 I saw the best race I have ever witnessed. I had graduated from high school just 5 days before we headed to Beltsville, Maryland for the race I'll never forget.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

This contines to be my favorite of all the races I attended and watched through the decades. Wish all of our readers could have vsited Beltsville.

--

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM