Racing History Minute - June 29, 1952

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Greg Biffle recently won the race at a beautiful Michigan 2 mile track where speeds reached over 200 miles per hour. In 1952, Tim Flock won the race at Michigan on this date, but the track was only one mile long and was dirt. No, not the same track at the same location as today's twice a year NASCAR race facility, but obviously an important part of the 1952 Grand National schedule. Forty-seven cars showed up to run 250 miles/250 laps. This was the 17th race on the 1952 calendar and was known as "The Motor City 250".

Dick Rathmann would start from the pole in his Hudson and Fonty Flock would put his Oldsmobile on the outside of the front row. Third place qualifier was Lloyd Moore in a Chrysler , Bob Pronger in an Nash, fourth and Ray Chase in a Lincoln was 5th place starter. The DeSoto of Fred Bethune started sixth and Charlie Hill in a Ford was 7th. Eighth place starter Ted Chamberlin drove a Plymouth. Ninthplace starter was Ed Westveer in a Mercury. Tenth was Norman Lynch in a Willis. Red Duvall put a Packard in 11th starting position. John Scarfo started a Kaiser in 12th.I went through 12th positions to show the diversity in manufacturers in this event. The first 12 qualifiers were all driving a different make in the "Motor City" race. Interestingly enough, my source for information (Greg Fielden's "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing") does NOT list a 13th place starter. Must have been folks around Detriot who believe the bad luck link to that number.

Dick Rathmann, the always second place finisher, would lead the first 44 laps before Lee Petty moved ahead in his Chrysler. Petty would lead until lap 87 and it was then Tim Flock's turn to be the rabbit. Buddy Shuman would lead lap 111 and then Tim Flock put his big Hudson back out front on lap 112, where he would stay until the checkered flag. It was Flock's 12th career Grand National win in the race that would take 4 hours, 10 minutes and 23 seconds to complete at an average speed of 59.908 mph.

In addition to the $5,050.00 purse Tim Flock took home, he also won a new Nash Ambassador. Relative to other events of the 50s, that was a well paying race. Having ridden in a Nash Ambassador "back in the day" I can vouch that it was a good riding car. I was too young to drive then! Ahh such thoughts to be too young to do anything is amazing to me at this point in my life.

Top five finishers were:

1. Tim Flock, OK Motors Hudson, winning $5,050.00 and a Nash Ambassador

2. Buddy Shuman, B. A. Pless Hudson, winning $2,225.00

3. Herb Thomas, FABULOUS Hudson Hornet, winning $1,000.00

4. Bill Blair, George Hutchens Oldsmobile, winning $600.00

5. Pat Kirkwood, San Juan Motors Chrysler, winning $500.00

Sixth through tenth were Dick Passwater, Hershel McGriff, Stuart Joyce, Otis Martin, and Ted Chamberlain. Frank Mundy would finish 11th, Billy Myers 14th, Jimmie Lewallen 20th, Joe Eubanks 25th, Lee Petty 32nd, Dick Rathmann 38th, with Fonty Flock credited with 47th (last position) by virtue of tie rod failure on the 10th lap.

What a race that must have been! 250 miles on a one mile dirt track with 47 cars fighting for positions and the win. Just look at the names given in this report! I hope someone (Chase, Dave) can come up with a video of some of this race. It is well worth the remembering.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I've never been to a race on a 1 mile dirt track, but I sure would like to. Below are three variations of the Associated Press report on the 1952 Motor City 250. 93 degree temperatures are cited as a reason for overheating problems by many competitors. The Google News Archive clips are from the Pittsburgh Post-Gatette, the Owosso (Michigan) Argus-Press and Daytona Beach Morning Journal.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
11 years ago
820 posts

As far as I know there's only 5 or 6 one mile dirt tracks still usable and they are all fairgrounds. I used to love going to the red mile flat track motorcycle championships at Louisville, Kentucky in the 70'sand would always think about how much fun it would be to try it once in a modified coupe.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

In my smoking days, one of my favorite lighters was the one below given me by someone on the Winston Motorcycle Special Events program:

Bill, your post about flat track motorcycle racing reminded me of one of the nicest and sharpest men I ever met in the world of motorsports - the late Lin Kuchler . You may have known or met Lin - I was a very casual acquaintance, not meeting Lin until he was in semi-retirement running the historic stuff for AMA in the early 1980s when Wrangler started its indoor stadium SuperCross sponsorships. I had the pleasure of sharing a table with Lin at the AMA Awards Banquet in November 1983 at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California on the Sunday evening of the November 1983 Riverside stock car race.

Many here will remember Lin from his NASCAR days, but might not be familiar with his motorcycle background. He was much in demand as an executive by both the motorcycle corps and stock car folks. I'm sure that had a lot to do with his treatment of competitors. He was well liked by most.

Linton A. Kuchler
October 18, 1916 - April 18, 2011

Obituary for Linton A. Kuchler
Linton A. Lin Kuchler, 94 of Mount Dora, FL died April 18, 2011. Born in Milwaukee, WI on October 18, 1916 to Louis and Martha Kuchler, Lin attended the University of Miami in Coral Gables, FL. After returning to Milwaukee, he worked for Harley Davidson as a factory guide and in the parts department until the outbreak of WWII. He enlisted in the Army Air Force and trained as a bombardier on B-24s. In 1950, Lin established a Harley Davidson dealership in Ann Arbor, MI. In 1956, Lin was recruited to become the new Director of the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA). As a progressive Executive Director, he implemented the campaign Put Your Best Wheel Forward resulting in dramatically improving the image of Motorcycling on and off the race track. He campaigned across the United States to impress state legislators of the need to pass helmet laws, which lead to a significant improvement in safety. Lin oversaw a period of steady escalation of AMA membership, in part, due to his efforts at increasing the visibility of the association through innovative media and public relations campaigns. In 1966, Lin left the AMA to take an executive position with NASCAR. As the right hand man to Bill France Sr. during the 1960s and 70s, Lin helped spearhead the development of NASCAR into one of the countrys biggest and most popular racing organizations. Lin was elevated by France to Vice President/Competition Director in 1968 and was promoted to Executive Vice President by Bill France Jr. in 1972. In the late 1970s, the AMA was once again in need of strong leadership and called on Lin to lead them out of financial difficulties. In three years, the AMA was again a solid financial entity. Lins dedicated leadership of the AMA brought the association through challenging times again. Lin helped launch The American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation. In 1981, he received the Dud Perkins Award for Outstanding Contributions to the sport of motorcycling. In 1988, Lin and his wife, Lorry retired to Florida. Lin had friends and acquaintances across the country. In his years with the AMA and NASCAR, he worked continually to bring the drivers, owners, manufacturers and promoters together for the betterment of the sport. He believed in treating everyone fairly. He loved to hear stories and was a great story teller himself. He was an avid golfer and loved sports of all kinds. Lin had a wonderful infectious laugh, as all his friends and family will attest to. In 2003, Linton Kuchler was inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame. His love, humor, caring and integrity will be missed by all who knew him. Lin is survived by his loving wife, Lorry Rystrom Kuchler, who for 71 years made all things possible; his 2 daughters, Lorelyn D. Homa of Alpharetta, GA, Judith A.Williams and her husband Peter of Tavares, FL; his son, Dr. Linton L. Kuchler and his wife Pamela of Murrayville, GA; his 5 grandchildren, Kimberly Homa of Batavia, IL, Candice Homa Skelton and her husband Jared of Suwanee, GA, Christine L. Williams of Charleston, SC, Rebecca A. Williams of Statesboro, GA, and Jason L. Kuchler of Murrayville, GA; and his 2 great-granddaughters, Karsyn Raye Skelton and Karaline Alexis Skelton. A memorial service will be held at the Garden of Life Chapel at Waterman Village, Mount Dora on Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 2:30 PM. In lieu of flowers, donations may be to Cornerstone Hospice, 2445 Lane Park Road, Tavares, FL 32778. Online Guestbook available at www.hardenpauli.com Arrangements by Harden/Pauli Funeral Home, Eustis.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

From Motor Racing Programme Covers

http://progcovers.com/motor/michigansf.html

1952 Detroit MC250 progcovers.jpg

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Race preview from June 22, 1952 Detroit Free Press

NASCAR is a title which sounds like it was lifted off a bottle of tonic, maybe spelled backwards. That its president is William France makes it appear to be a foreign import. It isn’t. But as official tagline for the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing it still has been a powerful shot in the arm for the gas-burning sport of chasing somebody around a track in an automobile.

The slow-talking, quick moving France is riding the biggest sports boom of the postwar era. “It’s growing so fast that a fellow really has to fly to keep up with it,” he drawled.

And that is just what France has to do. He’ll skip around the nation in his own plane more than 100,000 miles this season with his immediate stop being the Detroit Fair Grounds where the Motor City 250-Mile race is to be held June 29.

France, a hunk of man with a Walt Dropo build and & Southern drawl, helped found NASCAR in 1947. A former driver himself, he had been promoting stock car races since 1937. With a hand in a half-dozen tracks in the South and Southeast, he discovered that no one kept records on the leading drivers each season.

“I wanted some kind of a national batting average for cars and drivers,” he explained. “So I met with drivers, owners and promoters to set up an official organization. They made me president.”

The growth of stock car racing under his direction has been the most phenomenal of any activity attached to a spectator sport. In 1949, NASCAR held 87 races. In 1950, it sponsored 396. Last year, the number jumped to 585. This year, NASCAR sanction will be hung on 1,100 events from coast to coast.

The drawing power of an automobile race is so great that it even stumps its president. “Take last Labor Day,” he explained. “We held a race in Darlington, S. C. That’s a little town down in the hills with a population of only 3,000 people. The largest town within 50 miles in any direction is Florence with 10,000.  Yet, we had an official paid attendance of 26,000 fans to see our race. You explain it. I can’t.”

Where ever France goes, he always bumps into people with their own idea of what makes auto racing customers. “They try to tell me that it’s because the people come out expecting to see some driver roll over in a big wreck and maybe get killed,” he stated. “They claim we draw fans because of morbid curiosity. I won’t buy that, and here’s why.”

“We have statistics which prove that NASCAR drivers raced 275,050 miles last season. We had just one accident in which a driver was fatally injured. If morbid fans are the only kind we have, then why should they keep coming by the thousands when our fatality rate is so low?”

France has his own idea why stock car racing packs a public appeal. “Take the race we’re putting on here next Sunday,” he declared. “There will be 50 cars taking the green flag. They are the same kind of cars that will be rolling along Woodward outside the Fair Grounds taking Detroit families on Sunday afternoon rides.”

“We’ll have all makes, all types. Only difference is that the cars in the race will have reinforced wheels for added safety. Otherwise they are exactly the same cars that roll off assembly lines in automotive plants.”

“In my book,” France insisted, “that’s the real secret of stock car racing appeal. The fans come out to see how their make of family car stacks up against somebody else’s in a hard, rough grind.”

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Qualifying and race reports from Detroit Free Press

Wednesday, June 25

There were fewer than 1,500 fans in the stands, and the prize fund was only $400 but the stock car pilots at the Fairgrounds put on a million-dollar show Tuesday afternoon. The action occurred during the special 10-lap sprint races after the qualifying trials for next Sunday's 250-mile stock car classic.

Featured in the racing drama were five of the top stars in the NASCAR circuit. Tim Flock and Dick Rathman staged a brilliant wheel-to-wheel battle in the first event with Flock taking the $200 top prize.

The two pilots staged a duel that had the small but appreciative audience screaming and on their feet for the entire distance. In the other half of the bargain bill twin feature, Herb Thomas, Fonty Flock and Joe Eubanks battled for 10 laps with never more than a half-dozen car lengths separating the three drivers.

Thomas won this one after driving through the turns at high speed wheel for wheel with Flock. If the "warmups" are any indication, Sunday's race should be a thriller.

In the qualifying Tuesday, 30 drivers earned places in the race. Five of the 30 qualifiers broke the track record established by Frank Mundy last year. Mundy's record was 69.61 miles per hour for two one-mile laps.

Rathman, Thomas, Fonty Flock, Tim Flock, and Eubanks bettered Mundy's mark. Thomas posted the best time but failed to win the pole position. Thomas' speed was 71.42 mph while Rathman, the first to break the mark, was only a fraction behind with 70.28.

Only drivers who were on hand for Saturday's postponed trials were eligible for the battle for the pole position. Rathman won that coveted spot. Tommy Thompson, who won last year's inaugural 250, was clocked at 68.17 mph. He will start at approximately the 25th spot in the 50-car field next Sunday. Eubanks will get the 21st spot, despite his 70.03 mph average. Lee Petty, NASCAR point leader on the Grand National circuit, drove his Chrysler to 26th place at 67.66 mph.

The time trials will continue Wednesday and Thursday.

Monday, June 30

Tim Flock, the youngest of the racing family, had a $7,000 payday at the Fairgrounds Sunday. The slim Hapeville (Ga.) pilot drove a masterful race to beat 46 other stock car drivers in the second annual Motor City 250-mile race.

He came down the stretch to get the checkered flag nearly a half-lap ahead of Buddy Shuman of Charlotte, N. C. as well to set a record for the race. He toured the distance in four hours 10 minutes and 23 seconds. The time bettered that posted by last year’s winner by 10 minutes and five seconds.

An estimated crowd of 23,000 witnessed the race. Although there were no serious accidents, the caution flag was out on four occasions because of cars hitting the wall or spinning across the track. The race was slowed for about 10 minutes about midway in the event when a thundershower made the track slippery.

Dick Rathman, who sat on the pole at the start of the classic, led the first 44 laps. He developed engine trouble, however. Four pit stops put his car deep in the field, and he pulled his car out of the race.

Lee Petty grabbed the lead then and held it until after the 80-mile mark. Petty was two laps In front of the field when he lost a left front wheel in the northwest turn and was forced to retire. Flock took over on the 97th lap and held first place the rest of the way.

Most of the way there was only 10 to 30 seconds difference between the first three cars. Flock's performance in holding the lead is even more spectacular when you consider that he had to stop three times in the pits.

Fonty Flock, Tim's older brother and a bitter rival on the track, was forced out after only 13 laps and then assumed command as Tim's pit crew chief. He did a thorough job and was credited by Tim with helping him win the race.

Flock, in addition to grabbing off 7,000 in cash, won the Nash Ambassador pace car, making it his biggest payday. Flock's victory boosted him into first place in the NASCAR ratings for the year. Petty went into the race in front. The first three cars to finish were all Hudson Hornets; then came an Oldsmobile and a Chrysler.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Referencing the Detroit Free Press writer's comparison of Bill France's build to Walt Dropo, I recall having once had a Walt Dropo baseball card. Shortly after the Boston Red Sox traded Walt Dropo to the Detroit Tigers in 1952, Dropo set a major leagie baseball record by getting hits in twelve consecutive at bats.

http://www.legacy.com/ns/walt-dropo-obituary/147194286

--

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM