are you gutsey enough to drive this ?

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Back in the early day guys used to crawl into a roadster and go racing,yup the things had a motor and body and doors but no top or Rollbars . Think about this now,fifteen or twenty of these on a fifth of a mile track going wide open and side by side. Just in case you dont get the drift of what it would look like I have a photo from wayyyyy back showing you what you missed by not growing up in the heyday of auto racing .

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dale Dodge Jr
@dale-dodge-jr
14 years ago
16 posts
Awesome! I'd race them.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Nope!!! For anyone who is even thinking about saying yes, you might want to check out Jack Goodwin's fan page on Racers Reunion and check out the #15 Ed Beste roadster. Then scroll down and read about a accident Jack had driving one of these at Jackson Motor Speedway in 1953. The "roll cage" if that's what one would call it looks like black pipe with elbow fittings that would collapse under any kind of pressure. Great picture, Johnny.Pete
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Johnny, I found this roadster race at the old Motor City Speedway in Detroit. The track was built as a 1/2 mile dirt in 1932 but was redone to 1/4 mile dirt track in 1936. Could you imagine trying to control one of these on a half mile??? This picture was when it was a quarter mile.

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
14 years ago
308 posts
they had a death wish or had balls{ opps} coconuts the size of a basketball and Ill bet they could not wipe the grin off their face for a week. Thanks for sharing the photo.