August 20 Michigan Memories

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Thought I'd highlight a couple of August 20th memorable moments from the track formerly known as Michigan International Speedway.

1972 - Yankee 400 - David Pearson won the race and swept the season at MIS in the #21 Wood Brothers Mercury. King Richard won the pole but finished 4th. Returning from a limited stay in USAC champ cars, Cale Yarborough made only his second start of the season. He finished a solid 5th driving a #98 Mercury fielded by James Hylton. James had a nice day himself by finishing right behind Cale in his own #48 Ford.

Top 10 Finishers

Fin Driver Car
1 David Pearson Mercury
2 Bobby Allison Chevrolet
3 Bobby Isaac Dodge
4 Richard Petty Dodge
5 Cale Yarborough Mercury
6 James Hylton Ford
7 Benny Parsons Mercury
8 Bill Seifert Mercury
9 Dave Marcis Matador
10 Larry Smith Ford

John Betts has some great photos from this race in his collection including:

The pole winner, Richard Petty

The iconic Joe Frasson

Cale in Hylton's #98 Mercury

1978 - After years of racing Plymouths and Dodges (except for a 1-year fling with FoMoCo), Richard Petty makes the tough decision to leave Chrysler. He races his newly acquired STP Monte Carlo for the first time in the Champion Spark Plug 400. Petty crashed his new wheels, however, and finished a disappointing 14th.

Coincidentally, the Silver Fox also won THIS August 20th Michigan race. The race was Pearson's 103rd career victory, but it was his last one with the Wood Brothers team. He'd win twice more - both at Darlington: 79 Southern 500 with Osterland Racing and 80 Rebel 500 for Hoss Ellington.

Also, D.K. Ulrich did something in this race that happened in no other point of his GN/Cup career. He led a lap.

After several disappointing races from 1976 through 1978, Billy Hagan decided to make a driver change. He cut loose Skip Manning, hired Mel Larson for this one race Michigan, skipped Bristol and then hired a rookie for his team beginning at Darlington. The rookie, Terry Labonte, finished 4th in his debut with Hagan's Stratagraph team.

Top 10 Finishers

Fin Driver Car
1 David Pearson Mercury
2 Cale Yarborough Oldsmobile
3 Darrell Waltrip Chevrolet
4 Dave Marcis Chevrolet
5 Bobby Allison Ford
6 Dick Brooks Mercury
7 J.D. McDuffie Chevrolet
8 Lennie Pond Oldsmobile
9 Neil Bonnett Oldsmobile
10 Ferrel Harris Chevrolet

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 08/20/17 01:39:10PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Great pictures! Love this. Thanks, TMC.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

M.I.S. has been the site of some wonderful races.... back in the pre-fuel mileage race days.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Raymond Williams 1973 M.I.S.

William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts

Captain America himself.Raymond is way more colorful that his cars ever were! Great looking pictures Jim.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

For a few years, Raymond operated an establishment in Southern Pines, NC called the Silver Bucket Oyster Bar, near the motel where we stayed on U.S. 1 for the Rockingham races. It was a great place.

--
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts

I never made it the Silver Bucket Dave , but at one time he had a restaurant and bar in Wrightsville Beach, N.C. which is where I met him. He would on occasion go to the races with us and to me it was a treat because I loved just listening to some of his stuff. Likable fellow for sure.

William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts

LeeRoy in the Bill Seifert Special. Anyone know where Bill Seifert is these days?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Bill for many years operated BSR race products in Charlotte/Concord, NC on Highway 49 near CMS with Butch Stevens, who many will remember as the jack man for Bill Elliott during his "Million Dollar Bill" days. They always had their race parts truck parked in or near the Cup garage next to the trucks of Hucherson-Pagan and Tiger Tom Pistone race parts.

After my days around the garage, I see that BSR merged/acquired or was acquired by Hutcherson-Pagan and became Hutch-BSR... then Hutch-BSR was acquired in 2010 by CV Products. I think Bill used to live up around Lake Norman area - Mooresville/Cornelius, NC - but none of this really answers your question of where he is today and what he's doing.

--
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts

Thanks for the info Dave. I knew that Bill had went with Butch after leaving Banjo but it has been many a year since I have heard anything at all even remotely tied to him until this picture posted by Jim came up.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Dave - you've mentioned more than once how you glean something new from most of these Racing Minute posts. Well, I'll raise my hand in agreement too. I remember the H-P trucks at the tracks - as well as the BSR ones.

But I didn't know...

• BSR = Bill Seifert Racing
  • That H-P was acquired by H-P
  • That Hutch-BSR was acquired by CV Products
  • That CV Products was even a company
  • That CV Products was founded by Clyde Vickers
  • That Clyde Vickers was a former driver
  • That Brian Vickers is Clyde's son

http://www.highperformanceracingparts.com/the-history-of-cv-products/

--
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts

Chase,

BSR stood for Butch Stevens racing I thought. Bill just worked for Butch at BSR. Or WAS it Bill Seifert Racing and Butch worked with him? Always thought it was Butch's place for some unbeknownst reason. I guess actually Chase I don't know what the hell I am even talking about! lol

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

William... I never knew who worked for who or whether Bill & Butch were partners or what. BSR conveniently covers both names, though.

And I didn't know that the Vickers in CV Products was Brian's father.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Pic of Pearson in VL at the 1978 Michigan race. - From [ NCMarrk ]

--