Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Waltrips sponsors to review deals

5-Hour Energy, NAPA to have internal talks

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Two of Michael Waltrip Racings sponsors are reviewing their relationships with the race team after the organizations attempt to manipulate the finish at Richmond.

NAPA Auto Parts posted on its Facebook page Wednesday it is disappointed a partner would make such a significant error in judgment. NAPA is the sponsor for Martin Truex Jr., who was kicked out of the Chase for the Sprint Car championship when NASCAR sanctioned MWR for its actions in Saturday nights race.

NAPA said it has launched a review of its future partnership with MWR.

Also, Clint Bowyer sponsor 5-Hour Energy tweeted it is reviewing its sponsorship relations internally. NASCAR penalized MWR for attempting to manipulate the finish to get Truex into the 12-driver Chase field. Truex was replaced in the Chase by Ryan Newman.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Yes, I saw both of those postings, NAPA and 5-Hour. Just imagining the legalities of all involved, I'm sure there is a clause in each of those contracts that would allow the sponsor to pull out for any reason deemed necessary IF, in the opinion of the sponsor, the one being sponsored did something wrong. Sort of like NASCAR's rule to cover all rules that aren't specified. In all my years of working in the legal profession, those clauses were common. Dave, I'm sure your companies' contracts with teams had pretty much the same provision.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Yes they did, Tim.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
11 years ago
119 posts

well if that is the case I will boycott the sponsors on that car. Instead of going to NAPA will go to Advance Auto. Instead of 5 hour Energy, will use Red Bull.