Rare TV News Footage of Ray Hendrick Winning 1968 Martinsville Cardinal 500 NASCAR Modified Race

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Just found on the University of Virginia Library web site some raw WSLS, Roanoke, Virginia television sports footage of Richmond's Ray Hendrick winning the Fall 1968 Cardinal 500 NASCAR Modified race at Martinsville, Virginia in the Tant/Mitchell "Flying 11."

This was a very historic event - the first 500-lap modified race at Martinsville Speedway. The prevailing opinion was that the mods couldn't hold up for 500 laps. Many "naysayers" opined it couldn't be done, but "Rapid Ray" Hendrick proved them wrong, as usual! And 17,500 fans, including me, turned out to witness NASCAR Modified Division history.

By the way, Hendrick would win 14 more times at Martinsville before he hung up his helmet, becoming the track's all-time winner with 20 victories, trailed only by "The King" - Richard Petty.

The #21 Ford coupe involved in the big crash in turn 4 was being driven by Middleburg, North Carolina's Eddie Royster for Frank Edwards. This car was originally built by the Wood brothers of Stuart, Virginia for Richmond's Sonny Hutchins and later driven by Donnie Allison before being sold to Frank Edwards.

The silent clip is brief, but it is solid gold. Look at those beautiful coupes! Enjoy!

Below the clip link, I've included the original sports anchor script that accompanied the piece on WSLS-TV

http://search.lib.virginia.edu/catalog/uva-lib:2220029

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Dave, you are incredible!!!!! You find things such as this video and other things you add to the site that defy my ability to even understand. And the NSA worries about Wikileaks!!! I would bet you know more about what is happening in the world than the folks in D.C. do. You are impressive!!! Thanks for that addition to the site. Not only is it a treat to watch those cars, but seeing the old Martinsville as it used to be was a treat.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
11 years ago
308 posts

This was an awesome post. Thanks for sharing Dave.