How old is To Old to crawl into a race car

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
What is the age that guys,and gals,should hang up their helmet and revert to the old rocker or recliner to watch races.

This is a subject I hear regular even here at my house,always asking why are you building another car. You could get hurt,true but also some idiot on the 4 lane highway in town could also plow into me. At least everyone is going the same way on the track and the racecar is safer than the family car.
After saying that there are drivers we all know that still have the urge to go fast and turn left, but there is concern among the other half in most cases.
After I have made my point now lets see if this is true. I have a friend that was racing when my dad was racing and he continued on through my era and now at the age of (Older than dirt class) he is still racing ---AND--- winning, not in a stock car but a open modified,and on dirt too.
Did I see you shake your head?? It is desire to perform and that he does in fine fashion.

Woody Moore is from Hawkinsville Ga. and started racing in the 50's. Hawkinsville had a horse track that was used to race cars also. Not knowing no better he built a 6 cylinder chevy coupe and proceeded to spank them flatheads behind on a regular basis,then the 60's came along and he still spanked the smallblock chevys and fords on a regular basis with that 6 cylinder chevy coupe. Now fast forward to the 2010 era there he is again still spanking the guys on a regular basis. And doing this at the age of 75 plus. Yup and cocky too he is. I would venture to say any of us would be cocky too at that age holding a tropy,a checkerd flag and have a cool race car to boot. Here is a photo of Woody in the winners circle in Alabama on 5/01/2010 just for the records.

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
after you look at this the view the photo maybe just maybe it will make something in your mind jingle a little and get you off that couch
Mike Ray
@mike-ray
14 years ago
41 posts
Dear Johnny,"Your never too young or old to start.Just Start.Doc Ray say's get your daily dose of gasoline and burning rubber right here!peace,out.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
In your case Johnny, as long as you can get your behind strapped into a race car, you'll go!! Nice shot of Woody Moore, you can still see it in his eyes. One thing kids need to remember...Old timers teach kids everything they know, but half of what the old man knows.Pete
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
listen to tuesday;s show then Pete Banchoff said:
In your case Johnny, as long as you can get your behind strapped into a race car, you'll go!! Nice shot of Woody Moore, you can still see it in his eyes. One thing kids need to remember...Old timers teach kids everything they know, but half of what the old man knows.
Pete
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
You know I will, Johnny. I've caught the last two of "memories" and will listen tomorrow. These 75 and 80 year old drivers are still beating the kids.Your buddy, Pete
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
I blew last weeks show He was real special to me he built my first real car for me Pete Banchoff said:
You know I will, Johnny. I've caught the last two of "memories" and will listen tomorrow. These 75 and 80 year old drivers are still beating the kids.

Your buddy, Pete
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
You didn't blow last weeks show, Johnny. What you did was show me and everyone else how much you care and what your friends mean to you. I enjoyed both shows.
Devin
@devin
14 years ago
618 posts
Absolutely true, Pete. This is a very good example of why I care about RR and the drivers that are, were and continue to be remembered. Johnny, you are one of those drivers and you make me very proud to be a member. Your memories as well as everyone else's are very special and need to be remembered. Memories.....they are a wonderful gift to us when shared by you and others. Pete Banchoff said:
You didn't blow last weeks show, Johnny. What you did was show me and everyone else how much you care and what your friends mean to you. I enjoyed both shows.
Billy Kingsley
@billy-kingsley
14 years ago
30 posts
Johnny, I have always said....Age is just a number! If you can still do it, and are still having fun...go for it! James Hylton is still in ARCA at 74, Hershall McGriff is still racing at 81, and he was in the first Southern 500! They are still more then capable of getting the job done, and so is Woody Moore. I am sure there are plenty of racers who I am just simply unaware of that can still get it done, despite beginning their career decades ago.The only time I would say it's time to hang up the helmet would be when you can no longer get in and out of the car, or when you get to be so old that just standing up could lead to a broken bone or something. Somethere where even a minor bounce off the wall or another car could cause major physical harm.
Wayne Wilson
@wayne-wilson
14 years ago
39 posts
As long as you are able to turn the wheel and shift the gears, go for it. You only live once, make the most of it. I think it is people like you, and many others on this site, that make it ejoyable. As long as the desire is there, you are still alive.