Oct 27, 1996 & 1997: The 43 returns to victory lane

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

After a 13 year drought, the 43 of Petty Enterprises rises from the ashes in Phoenix, AZwith Bobby Hamilton behind the wheel. Bobby returns the PE 43 to victory lane for the first time since The King's controversial win at Charlotte in October 1983.

From JC Hayes collection.

The key storyline entering the race wasn't the Petty team at all. With only two races remaining in the season, all eyes were on the championship contenders Dale Jarrett and two Hendrick Motorsports drivers, Terry Labonte and Jeff Gordon. In a Friday practice session, Labonte had a hard crash, totaled his primary car, and broke his left wrist. With some hospital care, a Rube Goldberg'esque hand brace and steering wheel, and plenty of race-day injections, the Ironman suited up and raced - just like race drivers do (or at least used to do).

Read on for more about Hamilton's win in the Dura-Lube 500:

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2013/10/october-27-1996-43-rises-again-in.html

Exactly one year after Bobby Hamilton raced the #43 STP Petty Enterprises Pontiac to a win at Phoenix, he again piloted the 43 to a win - his second and final one with the Petty team - in the AC Delco 400 at Rockingham.

Read on for more:

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2013/10/october-27-1997-hamilton-rolls-at-rock.html

Coincidentally, another Labonte - Bobby Labonte - has a connecting trivia stat also. He won the pole position for both of these races in Joe Gibbs #18 Interstate Batteries Pontiac.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 10/27/17 10:05:08AM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I did truly like Bobby Hamilton. When he was going through the last stages of cancer, his wife and I were exchanging e-mails once or twice a week. I truly wish I had told my boss at the time to "KMA" and gone to Bobby's funeral. He was truly a racer.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

That 1996 Phoenix race won by Bobby Hamilton had to be an especially emotional - and bittersweet day for Richard. Although it seems to me like it was just yesterday, I was surprised when I looked at the full field results and realized how few in the field that day are still competing. Always thought Bobby carried himself well and was a great ambassador for racing.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

About a decade before Hamilton found himself victory lane at Phoenix following his first Cup win, he was a weekly racer at Nashville's Fairgrounds Speedway. In 1988, he went toe to toe with another Nashville hotshoe and previous track champion, Zillon Felts. The two got into each other pretty good, but they settled their differences quickly. And long-time Nashville sportscaster from WSMV, Rudy Kalis, interviewed the two of them. 

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.