Racing History Minute - November 27, 2013

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Yes, the date is correct. The "Minute" for today IS, in fact, today. As most of you know, I use Greg Fielden's "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing", "Forty Plus Four" and "Rumbling Ragtops" as my exclusive source for these Minutes. Part of that use is to further honor the great effort Greg put forth in putting together that series of books. What he did, all those years ago, will serve all of us who want to recall those early days of the sport. Thanks, Greg, for your hard work and dedication.

As my reference material contains only the Grand National events through 1993 and the convertible events for the three years that division was in existence, there will be, this time of year, certain days when there were no races in those divisions, although believe it or not, those days aren't that frequent. While I have plans to work most of the days of January and February into "special events", December is going to be a difficult month to cover. I started this series on April 5, 2013. With the assistance and contributions by so many, especially TMC Chase and Dave Fulton, we have put together a beautiful history of stories, pictures and even a few videos for every day since April 5th. This day, November 27th, had no Grand National or Convertible race on which to report although I have no doubt someone, or more that just someONE will have memories to post.

So, all you folks who read these posts, add a sentence or two to this post today and let us know if you have special memories of any racing event on November 27th of any year, any division of racing, or simply anything about racing you want to share.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

The inaugural Winston West race at Phoenix International Raceway was held on November 27, 1977. Following the Cup season finale at Ontario, Cup regulars Cale Yarborough, Neil Bonnett and Bobby Allison joined the WW regulars. Not surprisingly, the Cup guys prevailed in the race much like the "Buschwhackers" in more recent years. Cale didn't race a Holly Farms / Junior Johnson #11 Chevy. Instead, he raced a #6 Jim Stacy-owned, Harry Hyde-prepared Dodge Charger as a teammate to Neil Bonnett.

The twin Dodges took the front row starting spots. Whoever was assigned by the AP to cover the race either had no idea about the participants or was a poor typist or had a poor editor. TIM Stacy? Chuck BOWEN? Longtime rivals Cale and Neil? Source: AP wire story in St. Joseph News-Press

Neil and Cale dominated the race. Neil led 99 of the race's 156 laps. But Cale traded the lead with him, pushed Bonnett's 5 car all day, and finally got past him for good with 19 laps to go. Allison finished 3rd but led no laps. Total domination by the Stacy Dodges. From Gadsden Times

Richard Petty had great success in the Winston West races at Phoenix from 1978 through 1981; however, he did not participate in the 1977 race. BUT, a Petty-built car DID race in the event. Bobby Fisher finished 9th in the Stroh's Beer #74 Petty Enterprises-built Dodge Charger. The car was originally built by PE for his brother Woody who then promptly went to Daytona and won the 1977 ARCA 200. Later in the season, the car somehow made its way into Bobby's hands. Bobby raced it to an 11th place finish in the October 1977 World Service Life 300 late model sportsman race at Charlotte (pic shown here), a 2nd place finish in the Warner Hodgdon 200 LMS at Ontario as a prelim event to the season-ending Cup race, and P9 in the Phoenix Winston West race.

RR member Bill Rossi now has part of the rusted yet identifiable sheet metal from this car.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 05/15/18 11:37:58AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts
1977 Phoenix WW Cale.jpg

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.