What happens, when you don't know "The Rules"? The TRUTH comes out....

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
10 years ago
559 posts

After being discouraged, and disappointed so much with NASCAR in the past couple of years, I started not to even watch the HOF Inductions last night. BUT, Dale Jarrett was being inducted, and something told me there was another reason I should watch it. Well, I try an listen to my instincts most of the time...because I believe in them.

Everything racing, is something that I was always able to watch and discuss with my Momma, and/or my Pop. However, that is not the case anymore...so it makes it sort of "bittersweet" for me.

I enjoyed the Ceremonies much to my surprise! Most of it, made sense to me...others, NOT so much. But, what I did see made it worth it all!!!

There was "Fireball" whom I grew up, hearing about...and learned things last night, I never knew about him. Of course, I would think...the name "Fireball" came from being "FAST"!! But, I assumed it was in a car, never did I realize it was from pitching a baseball. I am sure I must have heard it at some point, in my years as a child. BUT, all I thought about was Racecars! "

When the camera would pan the audience...I found myself wanting to say..."Look, Momma..there is so and so". Or, "Good Lord Pop, can you believe they got in before...such and such?"

Then again...there was "Handsome Harry" what woman didn't love Harry Gant? My Precious Momma, was certainly not immune to his good looks and charm...LOL!

When Frances Flock went up to accept in Honor of her late husband, she looked amazing!! She was the epitome of a true "Southern Lady" right down to her demure, and accent...I loved the way she she said..."Nacecar"! She didn't try to be anything, other than herself...."no rules" there..just who she is.

Every-time...I see Humpy Wheeler, and I won't apologize for this....but, I see FUN! I am kinda like him in the sense .... that I like to think about "why and how" it could work, instead of the reasons...it might NOT! He makes me giggle.... My favorite report...I had to do in School was on PT Barnum...if that tells you anything! IF....you don't have the Fans attention, you can hang it up...from the get-go!! Plain and Simple...let's let the monkey go to jail..LOL!!

NOW...to the Jarrett Family! There sat Ned, and Martha...like I have said before, I heard about Ned and Martha Jarrett, and Bobby and Judy Allison so much when I was growing up, I thought they were family...LOL! I could just hear my Momma....sniffing' in my head...

I thought to begin with, that maybe Ned would induct Dale. But, I understand why that would have been too emotional for him. Bless his heart, he probably wouldn't have been able to speak. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised to see Tony Stewart introduce him. I have missed Tony, and am SO glad to know he will be back this Season...just please take care of yourself!

When Blake Shelton came out to do the inducting, THAT too, was another surprise! These are the things that we love...learning behind the scenes stories, etc. I know how happy it makes me when someone acknowledges either my Momma, or my Pop. So, I get it! What a blessing that Blake was privileged to be able to take his Daddy to the races, and develop the relationship with Dale Jarrett, that would forever be GREAT memories of the latter time spent with his Daddy!

I love the fact that he wrote his speech on the flight to Charlotte! I love "off the cuff" stuff...it is so much more interesting, and makes more sense. You don't have time to "over-think" things.

Blake..either doesn't know the Rules, or he just don't care!! LOL!! When he talked about Mikey asking ridiculous questions at the Drivers Meeting...I wanted to stand up, and applaud!! This was absolutely...PRICELESS!!! I personally, don't know the rules...I don't really even care to. Because if you know the rules...then you are supposed to abide by them! I try to be respectful in all things, but Good Lord...the Truth is welcome in Heaven! So, quit trying to dance around it..

Then comes Dale Jarrett. His speech was exactly what I imagined it would be. In my eyes...Dale has always been, just as his Daddy, a True Southern Gentleman. I did NOT say perfect....I said a gentleman. Plus, the fact I always thought he was kinfolk..LOL! While cleaning out the Shed the other week, I found things..I had forgotten I had. There were DJ lampshades, ceiling fan pulls,lug nuts, cars, pencils, stickers, hat pins. There was even a Banner that was kinda falling down from Fan Appreciation in Charlotte one year....that REALLY needed a good home! Plus, I viewed it as my way of helping them clean up. All of these things were being saved for my Racing Room, which still has not happened....but, I am hopeful. I have much more memorabilia to go along with it now.

I honestly believe, that is another reason I am so strongly rooted in my support of my Drivers within Bell & Bell Vintage Modified Racing Series. They too, are a good group of Gentlemen! My Momma, Daddy and Dale..would approve!

But, when Dale began to give his thanks....he covered each and everyone. He never missed a beat...and you could feel the sincerity in it. When he got to his Mom and Dad, I knew he would begin to get emotional, as he did. BUT...when it came to the kids...and Kelly there, was NO doubt in my mind. I remember following his posts and comments about their ballgames and activities when the kids couldn't be at the track. I truly believe that no matter what may have transpired between he and Kelly through the years...they have been great parents to their children. And, for him to acknowledge Kelly as he did last night....only confirms what I have believed about him ALL these years...he is a Gentleman, who knows that he did NOT get where he is by himself.

So with the Inductions last night, I think I might have just gotten back a little more enthusiasm for the 2014 Season. Tony is coming back...and there are drivers out there, who ARE still underdogs..and need us to pull for them. It's not their fault there are some Stooges running things! We will see...BUT, NASCAR, be good to them! For you see...they belong to us...and we love them...A LOT!!

updated by @patsy-thompkins-keisler: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

well said Ms. Patsy.....and as always with you, straight from the heart......another reason you're so special to me....

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

The only story I've ever heard is that Fireball's nickname came from his prowess as a baseball pitcher. Until today. Saw this quip in Ed Hinton's column on ESPN here:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/10364820/nascar-hall-fame-class-2014-tim-flock-dale-jarrett-jack-ingram-maurice-petty-fireball-roberts

Edward Glenn Roberts Jr., it was long believed, got his nickname as a fastball pitcher in his youth in Central Florida. NASCAR historians now question the story, with input from Roberts' family and friends. Maybe, just maybe, Fireball got the name purely for his racing career.

As is the case with so much in racing, its awfully tough to know the difference between true history and the tales told so often that they become the gospel truth. Ha.

I know many here have a passion for doing the best that can be done to note the actual vs. the 'popular story'. Its likely we'll never know the true story behind Fireball's catchy nickname. But we are playing a neat role in holding the sanctioning body and its historians' feet to the fire on things such as:

• the "Richard Petty" door featured on American Pickers and in the NHOF.
  • the reason Tim Flock's driving career ended in 1961 vs. his 'retirement'.
  • who initiated the build of Charlotte Motor Speedway.
  • who helped keep Bill France Sr financially solvent in the early years of NASCAR.
  • etc.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

So, you caught that line on the NHOF show about Tim Flock's "retirement" , too. What a slap in the face.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Not only did I catch it, but I cringed when his widow actually had to say it. I'm sure her committed efforts to see Tim inducted and her overall grace and dignity had her take the high road. But it was tough hearing her say those words as she read them from the t-prompter.

--
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
10 years ago
559 posts

Well, thank you....my Dear Bill..you know, me! I don't make the rules, don't know em, and probably sure I wouldn't want to follow them...LOL!! Can't wait to see ya!!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
10 years ago
559 posts

You are right...Chase, there are always differing stories. As a Little Girl though, I could make them anything...I wanted. How nice would it be, to still do that?? LOL!!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Oh sure. I get it. More often than not, the adage "never let the facts get in the way of a good story" works for me.

Its funny when a group of my buds and I get together for a race - especially if we have newbies around us. I swear EVERY fun time we ever had at the track happened on the same weekend. Its uncanny.

--
deirdrea (dee)
@deirdrea-dee
10 years ago
4 posts

Wonderful, hats off to you sweety, yes i also am a dirt track daughter, 5 years old (65 now) inGeorgia. Being first born, I was the only 5 yr old that knew what a 5/8's was, lol He instilled the love of cars, racing, dirt, oval you name it.

Margaret Sue Turner Wright
@margaret-sue-turner-wright
10 years ago
14 posts

Awesome speech Patsy!!!!! Thank you for this!!!

-MargaretSue