Frances Flock's Garage Tribute to Husband Tim

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Columnist, Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer wrote a column this week about visiting the garage of Frances Flock in Indian Land, SC (just south of Charlotte on U.S. 521) where she maintains a tribute to her late husband, Tim Flock. There is also a short video.

NASCAR HOF inductee Tim Flocks widow doesnt monkey around with remembrance of him

By Scott Fowler
sfowler@charlotteobserver.comJanuary 28, 2014

INDIAN LAND, S.C. Frances Flocks two-car garage holds no actual cars.

Instead, it contains thousands of mementos of her late husband Tims racing life pictures, plaques, trophies and five enormous scrapbooks so stunning in their attention to detail that digital versions of them actually made it into NASCARs Hall of Fame in Charlotte before Tim Flock did.

Tim Flock, one of NASCARs earliest pioneering drivers and a two-time points champion at the sports highest level, in 1952 and 1955, will be inducted posthumously into the hall of fame Wednesday. No one at that event will enjoy the moment more than 85-year-old Frances Flock, who proclaims the night will be like going to the Oscars.

Her garage at her home about half an hour from Charlotte is basically a small museum dedicated to her late husband. It is carefully designed and carpeted. Even her garage door has checkered flags and other mementos attached to it. None of them fall down when you open the garage, either.

Frances Flock said the garage helps her feel close to her late husband.

It means so much to me to keep my husband alive, she said. Every time I come in and out, I feel his presence because Im completely surrounded by him.

Tim Flock died of lung and liver cancer in 1998. When asked the question of how long she and Tim were married, Frances Flock gives another clue to the depth of her devotion with her answers exactness.

Fifty-three years, five months and four days, she said.

The two met at a dance in Atlanta in 1941. Tim Flock, who would later impress even Richard Petty with how smoothly he drove a race car, exhibited grace in other areas as well that night.

I was dancing the jitterbug with a sailor that night, Frances Flock said. He spun me, and it was so hot, I kind of lost my balance. Well, Tim was propped up against a post. The guy who I was dancing with didnt try to grab me because he had already turned loose of my hand. So Tim grabbed me, right around my waist. Thats the way we met.

They would marry in 1944, when Frances was only 16 but an old maid in my neighborhood, where most were already married by then, she said and Tim was 20.

Tim had two older brothers Bob and Fonty who were racing before he tried it out. He ended up becoming the most well-known of the Flock racing family (which also included a racing sister). That was partly because of his championships and partly because he pulled off one of the most unusual publicity stunts in racing.

This would never work today for a variety of reasons. But in 1953, Flock kept a Rhesus monkey inside the race car with him for eight races.

Jocko Flocko, as the monkey was known, had his own race suit and was Flocks co-driver for one win, at a race in Hickory. He stayed in a cage at the Flocks home in Atlanta between races. When asked if she had much direct contact with Jocko Flocko, Frances laughed.

Oh no, she said. That was Tims and the two oldest boys mess. I had five children to raise and one of them was a small baby at the time.

Jocko Flocko was taken out of the race car for good, however, when he was hit by a pebble in his eighth race and ended up latching himself to Flock and clawing into the racers back in a panic. That forced an unscheduled pit stop to get, as Flock would later recall, the monkey off my back.

Flocks best season was 1955, when he won 18 races. He had 39 wins all told in NASCARs premier series. Flock quit racing in 1961, whereupon he went to work for Charlotte Motor Speedway for the next 30 years in a variety of roles. He and Frances raised their family near the UNC Charlotte campus, 4 miles from the speedway. She moved to Indian Land to be closer to her family a few years after his death.

As the flame keeper of her late husbands career, Frances has long been interested in when Tim would make it into NASCARs hall. This is the fifth NASCAR hall of fame class, and she had attended a couple of the earlier announcement ceremonies in hopes that her husband would be honored.

I was so heartbroken after the one (in 2012) that I said Im not going anymore, Frances said. And my son said, Mother, well go one more time. If Daddy dont go in this time then we wont go anymore. So we went. And when he was announced, I was so tickled all I could do was throw my hands up. And then I started crying.

That was in May 2013, when the class of 2014 was announced. Flock was the leading vote-getter for this class.

Frances Flock keeps busy throughout the summer months going to car shows and selling Tim Flocks biography and other memorabilia. They used to do that together, and she has continued the tradition. She usually works in the Carolinas, but has driven as far as Kansas City and Florida with family members to go to the shows. She knows all of Tims racing stories by heart, she says, and likes to tell them to the younger generation.

Thats my hobby, she said. Thats one of the things I promised him I would continue to do as long as I had good health and people asked me to come to the shows. And right now Im booked all the way through September 2015.

This week, though, Frances Flock is going to the Oscars in Charlotte. Her late husband has finally made it to the big dance, and this time her family stands ready to catch her if she starts to fall. Better clear off some more space in the garage. This is going to be big.

Fowler: sfowler@charlotteobserver.com; Twitter: @scott_fowler

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/28/3571755/nascar-hof-inductee-tim-flocks.html#storylink=cpy

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/26/16 06:51:43AM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Thank you Dave for a great report on a wonderful lady. I'm glad she is finally going to the Oscars

....I'll add this Museum to my bucket list.

Steve Struve
@steve-struve
10 years ago
47 posts

I am so glad Tim was elected into the Hall of Fame. Truly, a well deserved honor. Tim and Frances spent a wonderful evening with the Hornets Nest Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America many years ago, as guest speakers at one of the monthly meetings. Everyone was very impressed with them. Tim was already ill, and fighting his battle well, and Frances was the glue that kept it all together. It was amazing looking at all of the memorabilia they brought (no doubt, from the "garage"), and one of my cherished racing mementos is a book I bought, titled Tim Flock, Race Driver. It is a fantastic history of the man, and of the racing he was part of. The author is listed as Larry Fielden. I have no idea if it is still available, or if it is even the autobiography noted in the Observer article, but some internet research should yield some results.

I never visited "The Garage" - didn't know it existed until I read this post. I guess I'll add it to MY Bucket List, too. Thanks for posting this, Dave.

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Steve, I googled it and there is a hardback copy available on Amazon for $45. I thought I might find it at Costal181 but it wasn't listed. I 'll order the one on Amazon. Thank you for the tip.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
10 years ago
626 posts

I have been there and man it is something i am going back can`t weight to see what she has added

Jimmy Johnson
@jimmy-johnson
10 years ago
123 posts

So nice to see all this Frances. Keep up the good work.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Frances was committed to getting Tim in the HOF and she did it! She is an absolutely wonderful woman and I'm proud to be included in her friends. As Leon says, we have been there and the place is incredible. A fantastic tribute to a great man and race driver.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

william ellis williams
@william-ellis-williams
10 years ago
19 posts

I was at the first race at the old Charlotte moto speed way in 1949. befor the race there was a woman who had just had a baby and shenamed the baby after Tim. always rembered that day. my daddy didn't care for all the dust and never went to another race.