Racing the Way It Was - Larry Curry Paid Crew with Box of Chicken and a Beer

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Member, Charles Ray Stocks has made a comment on the Wilson County Speedway Memories club page - http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/group/wilson-county-speedway-memories - about former racer, Larry Curry of Knightdale, NC (near Raleigh) winning both races and demolition derbies at Wilson County Speedway in the 1970s. I remembered Larry well from our team racing with him at both Wilson and Wake County Speedway in Raleigh.

What I remember most about Larry is the afternoon in the 70s when he got airborne in turn 3 the highest I've ever seen a car get on a short track.... all the way to the top of a light pole which was a huge telephone pole. He hit that pole and landed out near U.S. 301.

While looking around, I found that Larry kept right on racing into the 21st Century in his 60s at East Carolina Motor Speedway where he became Competition Director when he quit.

I found a story written in 1991 by a journalism major at North Carolina State University about Larry - then 47 - and his racing experiences up to that time. I thought the story offered an excellent retrospective about how we used to race at the weekly level.

Doesn't matter the state or the track, I think everyone who ever raced locally can appreciate and relate to the shop and track experiences and conditions described in this 23 year old story.

My memories of Larry at Wilson was of this burly racer who was coming through come heck or high water. I really appreciate Charles Ray Stocks reminding me of Larry Curry

Larry Curry at Wilson County (NC) Speedway - 1975 - photo by RR member, Tim Hamm

How much of this story sounds familiar?

All in a day's work for racer Larry Curry

By Doug Boyd

On a sunny Saturday, Larry Curry and engine builder Brad Puryear stood over Curry 's No. 55 race car watching water disappear through the car radiator. The night before at Wake County Speedway near Raleigh, Curry had broken a rocker arm stud after only five laps of racing. Water leaked all through the engine. The pair had been working since 6 a.m. to get it back right.

Puryear removed a rocker arm cover. Beneath, the milky residue of water-polluted oil told where the radiator water was going. At 12:57 p.m., Curry and Puryear started removing the intake manifold to replace its gaskets.

During the week, Curry , 47, paints houses. Since 1965, though, he's spent his weekends winning stock car races on the short tracks of eastern North Carolina.

"It's all I've ever done as far as sports or anything," Curry said. "That and a little fishing. But you get to be 47 years old and it gets to where it's not so daggone fun like it used to be."

At 1:04 p.m., Puryear lifted the intake, and water stood inside the valley of the V8 engine. He spotted the leak at a break at the front of the left gasket.

Puryear builds Curry 's engines using tricks he learned when he built them for the best. He built Darrell Waltrip's engines when Waltrip drove Junior Johnson's Buicks to the 1981 and '82 NASCAR championships.

Roy Hamm, 55, took the intake and rocker covers to the workbench inside the small shop and cleaned the watery oil from them. Hamm has been helping Curry for about three years. He gets paid every Saturday with Bojangles' chicken and Miller beer.

At 1:19 p.m., Puryear left to go get a new set of intake gaskets. Curry and Hamm broke for lunch, but the three boxes of chicken were almost gone.

"Charlie," Curry said.

Charlie Hendrick sat off to the side watching the other men work on the burgundy and silver car. At 62, Hendrick can remember Curry and Puryear when they were boys playing in Curry 's father's shop just like Curry 's own grandson was doing that day.

"I'm the foreman," Hendrick said. "Foreman, supervisor, whatever you want to call it. I sit over here and I can see everything. They'd lose it all if I didn't tell them where it is."

As the cobweb-covered stereo atop an old GE refrigerator plays barely audible country music, Curry told a little about his early days in racing.

He started drag racing in 1963. Then he took a '55 Chevy, put a roll cage in it and went oval track dirt racing in '65.

"That roll cage looked like tobacco sticks up in there," Curry said. "I wouldn't race anything like that today." The tubular steel roll cage in No. 55 attested to that. Curry built the car himself. He trusts the welds, and that's important.

In 1976 at Wilson County Speedway, the accelerator on Curry 's car hung open. His car left the track and went over the outside guardrail, and Curry was badly burned in the wreck.

"I hit the top of a telephone pole and slid down," Curry recalled. "I got laid up about seven weeks, and while I was out the guy I was driving for built me a brand new car, and I came right out seven weeks after that, and the first two nights out, Friday and Saturday night, I won."

He also once drove a car with a hand clutch.

"In '68, I broke my leg in a demolition derby," Curry said. "I was in a cast from here," he said, pointing to the top of his left thigh, "to my toes. The boys put a hand clutch in the car, and I was back out the next week. They had to lift me in and out of the car. I wouldn't do that today."

Puryear returned with the new gaskets, so the chicken went back in the box and the men went back to the car. At 1:40 p.m., the new gaskets were in place and the intake went back on. Puryear stood inside the engine compartment to tighten the bolts. With the 11-inch-wide tires removed. The fender wells had that much room.

As Puryear worked, Curry talked about his racing strategy.

"I'm not trying to be aggressive and knock nobody out," he said while tightening intake bolts. "But if someone gives me an opening, I don't care if it's my brother, I'm going to put it right up there. I'm going to ride it as hard as I can."

Puryear said his engine puts out 400-450 horsepower, which helped Curry put the car right up there. But a driver has to know his competition, and that's where Curry is most careful.

"The worst thing is running with the lapped cars," Curry said. "They pull down and there you are, running 15 to 20 miles an hour faster than they are, and it's hard to stop. But they're racing, too."

Curry slipped the distributor back into place and talked about running on the NASCAR circuit.

"It'd be a dream," Curry said. "But I'm too old to do it. But if I was 20 years old and knew what I know now, I'd go up yonder to Junior Johnson's, Darrell Waltrip's, anywhere, and just sweep the floors. Anything to get started."

At 1:45 p.m., Hamm brought over the rocker arm covers, and Puryear and Curry bolted them on. Puryear then climbed from the engine compartment, and Curry went to the driver's window. He bumped the starter button. The ignition was too advanced, so Puryear turned the distributor. Another bump on the starter showed still too much advance, so Puryear turned the distributor some more. Curry bumped the starter again, and the timing sounded good, but No. 55 thirsted for gas. Puryear pumped the carburetor twice, fuel squirted into the intake and Curry hit the starter button one more time.

At 1:58 p.m., No. 55 roared to life. The radiator holds its water. Curry shuts off the engine and drains the oil from the crankcase. It's clean. He changed the oil filter while Hamm refilled the engine with Havoline.

Curry's grandson, Chuckie, then ran into the shop. Just like the men, he wants to work the jack and get a Miller from the refrigerator. He put his hand down by the exhaust pipe to feel the hot exhaust pulse from the engine.

"He's not scared at all," said Curry 's wife, Pat, 42. She watches their three grandchildren every Saturday.

As Curry washed the car, he went back to his early days in racing.

"My first car was number 11 because that was easy to put on," he said. "Then I bought a car that was 55." That was in '65, and it's been that way ever since. "People get to know you by your number," he said.

At 2:59 p.m., the men rolled No. 55 onto its trailer. At 3:20 p.m., Curry pulls out in his old burgundy-and-silver GMC van with No. 55 behind headed to East Carolina Motor Speedway, 80 miles down U.S. 64.

At the track during heat races to determine starting positions for the feature race, Curry was fast but loose in the turns. The rear of the car doesn't want to follow the front.

"The secret to racing is getting something to handle," Curry said after pulling back into his pit. That's especially true at ECMS, a track with a funky dip in turn two.

Pat Curry spends races in the scoring booth atop the main grandstand. She scores races at ECMS and enjoys it, except when her husband races.

"It's hard for me to score because I want to watch him," she said. "I have a nervous breakdown up there."

As a previous race ended, Curry strapped himself into No. 55. The engine is holding up but the car won't handle. Curry 's aim is to avoid trouble.

The cars made several parade laps with Curry in the third starting position directly behind pole-sitter Mike Bogue. When the green flag waved, Bogue led into turn one with Curry behind. Old rival John Whitley, who started second beside Bogue, cut in front of Curry and No. 55 hit Whitley with its right front.

"I hit the clutch and the brake at the same time," Whitley said later. He looked at the tire mark on his left-rear fender. "Was that him?" he asked.

The contact doesn't help No. 55's handling. Curry stayed steady and on lap nine he was in fourth place. By lap 16, Curry pulled even with third-place Tony Rigdon down the straights. He looked inside on lap 20 and went by on lap 21. Caution flew on the next lap as Whitley's Pontiac rolled silently into the pits. He refired it and went back out.

Curry was second behind Bogue on the restart and held it for two more laps before the caution flew again. On the next restart, Curry got loose and Rigdon retook second. When the checkered flag flew on lap 30, the order was Bogue, Rigdon, Curry and Whitley.

"I burned up the brakes," Curry said. "Slammed the pedal to the floor. had to pump them three or four times coming down the straightaway." With better handling, he wouldn't have had to use the brakes so much.

"This is the illest handling race car," Curry said. The car handled great the year before. "We didn't change anything on the chassis," Curry said, his voice trailing off as he stared at the car and shook his head.

Curry laughed off the bump with Whitley. They had some times in the past. Once, a race had to be stopped because they were banging so much, Curry said.

"You can't hold a grudge," Curry said. "You're constantly working on the car if you hold a grudge. Fifteen or 20 years ago, I'd get so mad I'd go out there and tear something up and I'd work all week. I was younger then."

Curry drove No. 55 onto the trailer, and as a testimony to its poor handling the car goes on crooked. Puryear and Hamm bounced on the back end and slid the car over until it was straight.

Pat Curry returned from the scoring booth in time to see her husband sign an autograph for a young fan. Everybody was smiling again as they climbed in the old GMC, 18 hours after their day started, for the midnight drive back home.

Advertisements

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Dave, great report. You are so right about the experiences and similar conditions to local tracks and conditions. The dust covered radio and old refrigerator hit home. You described my shop to a T.. I really enjoyed this...

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

dave this is a great post larry always gave it his all when he was on the track

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

These days when you drive from Wilson to Raleigh you bypass Larry Curry's hometown of Knightdale.

But back in the 70s, anytime we were gonna drive from Wilson to Raleigh, my late father-in-law always reminded my daughters to look out for "Jackass Road" in Knightdale - much to my wife's consternation. One daughter would inevitably ask if we knew anybody who lived on Jackass Road - at which point my wife would caution me not to go there!

A few years back as the Raleigh suburbs grew and Knightdale became a Raleigh "bedroom" community, the new residents got uppity and petitioned for a name change to the infamous road. The result made the Associated Press national wire:

AP , Associated Press

Mar. 25, 19875:34 AM ET

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Wake County commissioners have given a swift kick to Knightdale's most famous - or is it infamous? - road.

Jackass Road, a two-mile stretch that intersects U.S. 64 in Knightdale, has been renamed Old Knight Road.

''It's just that the residents and businesses - particularly the funeral home - didn't relish being located on Jackass Road,'' Knightdale Town Manager Dennis E. Gabriel said.

''There were some who suggested other names, such as Dead End Road, referring to the funeral home,'' Gabriel said as laughter erupted at the county commissioners' meeting Monday.

The road's name goes back to the 1920s, when mule trader Haywood Poole built a local reputation for his stud donkeys.

In recent years, some residents sought a name change, but the town rallied behind the historic street. Such loyalty apparently was short-lived, as no one was stubborn enough to defend the moniker Monday.

Gabriel, however, assured commissioners that the Jackass Festival, a celebration of the town's rural roots complete with parade and mule and donkey pageant, would not pass the same way as the road.

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Awesome post Dave. That's what I'm talking about!!!!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

i too remember jackass road the snooty people in raleigh thought they were to good to have a road with such a name thanks dave you remineded me of something that i had forgotten

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's a several more photos of Larry Curry in a couple of different #55s at Wilson County Speedway in the 70s as posted by Racin_Girl_22 at the Local Race Chat web site.

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
10 years ago
1,783 posts

Awesome!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

who is driving the 57 car and the 49 car thanks dave for sharing these great pictures these posts really make my day

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Wish I knew who was in #49 and #57, but I don't remember.

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

dave does the name fletcher blackmon ring a bell not sure but i think that was the driver of the 49 car and i think the car you can only see the front fenders on is ben gay car 45

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I don't recall either name.

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

dave there were so many cars at wilson back in the day it is hard to recall them all i wish i could remember all of them here are a few more that i do remember in the sportsman class ricky foss mike wiggins buddy godly danny lee ricky webb jerry massengill eddie cooke donny head david lucas james whitley donald walston bob walston larry taylor jl blackwell tinker avery dan pitner walter simkins and they were all competetive cars i think they allwon in the sportsman division i hope i didnt bore anyone with this long list

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

notice the paint schemes on larrys car and that one of the 49 car sitting next to larry

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Charles Ray, I remember every single one of those cars you've listed. I always thought Tinker Avery was a cool name for a race driver.

RR member, Tim Hamm has this 1974 photo posted of Mike Wiggins and his #6 Chevy II at Wilson. Notice the Horton Engineering (Carl Horton) / Grifton on the rear quarter.

Mike later was sponsored in those black & silver cars and traveled for W.C. Shackeleford out of Kinston representing the Winners Circle Drug Awareness program. Along with Maurice Petty, Ritchie Petty, Mickey York, Bobby Labonte, Morgan Shepherd, "Brother Bill " Frazier and a number of others, Mike unwittingly was shilling for a crook who went to prison for insurance fraud.

You'll see Mike's name listed below (last one) in the list of those on the Advisors Board in the cover letter from Shackeleford that accompanied the complimentary set of Winner's Circle cards I received from Shackelford.

Back in 2008, member Dirtnut posted this line at Local Race Chat about Lake Speed wrecking Mike's car at Wilson.

The last time I saw Mike was in the early 90s at our Richmond track. He was manning the display for Winner's Circle and had his own car on display along with several others. I recall Mike being very quiet and soft spoken.

Lots of good memories in that list of drivers you posted.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I had not noticed the similarity until you pointed it out. Painted like team cars or same sponsor.

--
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

dave i had forgotten about that lake speed wrecking mikes car and that deal with the shackleford man in hookerton nc im glad you posted this i had my auto ins with his company he scamed alot of people not to mention the racers that he shafted i saw mike last november and he is still quite and soft spoken and a good freind and person as well