Racing History Minute - March 10, 1963

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

The race; 148.5 miles on a .9 mile dirt track located in Hillsboro, NC. The winner; Junior Johnson in the Holly Farms Chevrolet; The crowd estimate; 15,000. The "main attraction"; Hollywood superstar actress, Jayne Mansfield. Too Much Information? No, really that is just the start of a good story.

The track in Hillsboro, known as Orange Speedway was an unique track that had, for a number of years, presented some top quality racing. Always exciting, and usually close racing. On this day, Joe Weatherly would put the Bud Moore Pontiac on the pole with a speed of 95.716. Now remember this is a .9 mile DIRT track with tight turns so that was an incredible speed. Even more amazing, is even with 3 caution flags in the race, the average speed for the 148.5 miles was 83.129 mph.

Jim Paschal in a Petty Engineering Plymouth would start second, Richard Petty in another Petty Engineering Plymouth third, Junior Johnson in the Holly Farms Chevrolet fourth and Bobby Isaac in a Bondy Long Plymouth fifth.

Weatherly led lap one before fourth place started Junior Johnson blew by to take over. Junior would lead until lap 42. Weatherly went back in front for lap 43 but was out front only that one lap before Junior put the white Chevy back out front. Richard Petty took over on lap 72 and would lead until lap 87 when Junior would take over again and lead the rest of the way. The 165 lap race was contested until the end.,

Joe Weatherly, defending his 1962 Championship, would have his day ended on lap 90 with a faulty fuel pump. On lap 40, Bobby Isaac in the Bondy Long Plymouth, launched the "Mayflower" over the bank for a landing in a clump of pine trees ending his day. It is worth noting that Herman Beam, the proverbial "Turtle" of the NASCAR Grand National series, finished ninth. While ninth is not that big a deal in a 23 car starting field, what IS a big deal is that this was the 84th consecutive Grand National race in which Beam was running at the finish. At that time (even today really), that is a remarkable record.

After the race, Jayne Mansfield came down from the press box from where she had watched the race, to be a part of Victory Lane ceremonies. She planted a kiss on the chubby and dirty face of a surprised Junior Johnson and there are several photos of that celebration floating around and the look on Junior's face in some of the some is priceless.

Finishing order:

1. Junior Johnson, Holly Farms Chevrolet, $1,550.00

2. Jim Paschal, Petty Engineering Plymouth, $1,100.00 (2 seconds down)

3. Richard Petty, Petty Engineering Plymouth $750.00

4. Ned Jarrett, Burton-Robinson Ford, $575.00 (4 laps down)

5. Jimmy Pardue, Pete Stewart Pontiac, $425.00 (8 laps down)

6. Roy Mayne

7. Floyd Powell

8. Larry Manning

9. Herman Beam

10. E. J. Trivette

11. Bill Foster

12. Buck Baker

13. Gary Sain

14.Curtis Crider

15.Joe Weatherly

16. Sonny Fogle

17. Nelson Stacy

18. Elmo Langley

19. David Pearson

20.Bobby Isaac

21. Major Melton

22. Stick Elliott

23. Wendell Scott

PERSONAL NOTE: The speedway which is the subject of today's History Minute is the site for the annual Celebration of the Automobile hosted by the Historic Speedway Group. Please check our events calendar for the date. I have attended the past five events and I can assure you that you will have a day so inundated with racing history, historic cars, pioneers and heroes from the early years, and so many other things going on that you will leave with enough visions to ensure pleasant dreams for many nights to come. The event is truly one I look forward to every year like a kid looks forward to Christmas.

I can assure you that when you see all the historic race cars line up on the track for what are supposed to be parade laps (don't believe that for a minute), you will feel the excitement of an impending race. The ground shakes and the sound of racing engines reverberate off the trees around the track. For a long time fan like me, I am transported back to a time when racing was truly awesome.

No, I wasn't there for the race described in this History Minute so I didn't get to see Jayne Mansfield in person. But I must say I WAS in victory lane in 1975 or '76 at Charlotte Motor Speedway when The King won. Elizabeth Taylor was there with her Senator husband, John Warner. It ended up that she and I were standing next to each other so, being the ever running mouth I am, I started talking with her. I told her my childhood crushes had included her when I first saw "National Velvet". I got a kiss on the cheek from her, much to the chagrin of her husband. So, Junior, you got Jayne and I got Elizabeth Taylor! Want to compare notes?

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Race preview from Spartanburg Herald

Jayne Mansfield on the parade lap

The cars lined up for the start with Joe Weatherly on the pole, Jim Paschal 2nd, and Richard Petty 3rd.

Junior takes the checkers.

Junior and Jayne in Victory Lane - from Ray Lamm

(I'd like to find one of those new fangled 3D printers everyone is talking about to print this photo. Unfortunately, none to be found around me.)

Race report from Spartanburg Herald

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.