Racing History Minute - March 12, 1961

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

For today's "Minute" we travel to the west coast, to a 1.4 mile paved track located in Hanford, California. Known as "Marchbanks Speedway", the track was banked enough to allow good racing but the pole winning speed was only 98.370. Bob Ross in a 1960 Ford set that record run but he was out of the race on lap 13 after crashing his fast Ford. Fireball Roberts would start second in the J. D. Braswell 1961 Pontiac. Eddie Gray in his own 1961 Ford started third, Frank Secrist in a '60 Ford fourth and Lloyd Dane in a 1961 Chevrolet rolled off fifth.

Fireball would take the lead on the green flag and ran away with the race. He led every lap, although he looped his Pontiac at one point when Danny Weinberg, running second on lap 113, dove into turn one underneath Roberts but lost control and slid into the wall. Fireball had to loop his car to miss the sliding Ford of Weinberg, but even so he did not lose the lead.

No driver had ever led every lap on what was considered to be a "super speedway" meaning it was more than one mile in length. Fireball accomplished that feat on that afternoon at an average speed of 95.621. In fact, Fireball was so masterful behind the wheel that day that his margin of victory was more than 2 laps in the 178 lap/250 mile race.

Not many of the Grand National drivers running for the title made the trip to the "left" coast, but Rex White did. Rex was defending his 1960 title and came into the event in 9th place but left California in 4th place in the standings. There was no entry from Petty Enterprises as that organization was still recovering from Lee's crash and injuries in Daytona. Traveling to the west coast was too muchfor the stressed Petty Engineering operation.

Finishing order:

1. Fireball Roberts, J. D. Braswell Pontiac, $2,000.00

2. Eddie Gray, Gray Ford, $1,250.00 (2 laps down)

3. Danny Letner, Guy Kimball Ford, $750.00 (3 laps down)

4. Tubby Gonzales, Ford, $600.00 (7 laps down)

5. Eddie Pagan, Bill Clinton Ford (not THAT Clinton) $575.00 (7 laps down)

6. Rex White

7.. Jim Cook

8. Scotty Cain

9. Lloyd Dane

10. Bob Perry

11. Dick Santee

12.Don Noel

13. Dick Cook

14. Frank Secrist

15. Dick Getty

16. Jack Norton

17. Dick Brown

18. Marvin Heinis

19. Mike Saathoff

20.Carl Joiner

21. Dick Carter

22. Ed Negre

23. Danny Weinberg

24. Jim Blomgren

25. Marvin Porter

26. Art Watts

27. Bruce Worrell

28. Banjo Matthews

29.Harlan Richardson

30. Charles Chapman

31. Ron Hornaday

32. Tom Guffy

33. Chuck Web

34. Bob Ross

35. Al Brand

36. Brownie Brown

This was the 25th career win for the Fireball.

PERSONAL NOTE: I have absolutely NO recollection of this race, either hearing about it or reading about it before I discovered it in my source for these Minutes. Greg Fielden presented "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing" several years ago and I acquired all the volumes directly from him (actually his mother answered the phone and took my order and credit card information). I have enjoyed, immensely enjoyed, reading the volumes over the years, several times over and over. Somehow, this particular event totally escaped my reading. Back in 1961 our local newspaper would post very short stories about most any race in the southeast, especially Daytona and Darlington, but I guess California was just too far away for them to worry about. Not only that, but I had never heard of Marchbanks Speedway before discovering this event in this morning's research for the History Minute.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Link to a previous RR post with some Marchbanks photos and link to its history:

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/29213/nov-29-1964-foyt-takes-usac-stock-car-finale-at-hanford-cal-but-pj-takes-points-title

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

News of Fireball's 1961 Hanford, California win at Marchbanks was late reaching Daytona and full results weren't known there the night of the race:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Thanks for those additions to this Minute, Dave. I guess my mind has just gone away these days. As stated, I have absolutely no recollection of ever hearing of this race or this track. I appreciate your help in jogging the old thinker.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.