Racing History Minute - March 22, 1959

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Over the past year, as we have done these History Minutes, other than the month of September devoted to Darlington and the month of February devoted to Daytona, I don't think we've done two Minutes at the same track back-to-back. However, today, we are returning to the Lakewood Speedway in Atlanta, Georgia, where, in yesterday's Minute, we covered a three way fight for the win. What attracted me to return to Lakewood today is the winner of the race.

On February 22, 1959, Johnny Beauchamp and Lee Petty were involved in a photo finish to conclude the first Daytona 500. There was a race in Hillsboro, NC on March 1st and another in Concord, NC on March 8th, neither of which included Beauchamp in the field. Beauchamp did, however, enter the Lakewood event with advance publicity hyping the fact that he and Lee Petty would once again do battle on the track and the inference by the press was that there was a feud between the two because of Daytona and that "anything could happen". A crowd of 15,000 showed up to see how intense the feud would get.

Buck Baker would win the pole at a speed of 77.888 mph on the one mile dirt track. Buck was driving his own Chevrolet. Johnny Beauchamp qualified second in the Roy Burdick T-Bird. Jack Smith qualified the Bud Moore Chevrolet third, and Fireball Roberts in the Jim Stephens Chevrolet was fourth. Fifth place starter was Bob Welborn in his own Chevrolet. Lee Petty would start 7th in a 1957 Oldsmobile so with 21 cars on the track, fans were anticipating Petty catching Beauchamp early getting the fight underway.

The green flag dropped and Beauchamp immediately stormed into the lead he would hold, and lengthen throughout the race. No one could run with Beauchamp on this day. The race was his from the beginning as he led every lap and would finish more than a lap ahead of second place. His nemesis, Lee Petty, broke an axle on lap 39 and was out of the race to the disappointment of not only Lee but also many of the fans in attendance. This win was the third consecutive win for the T-Bird.

Finishing order:

1. Johnny Beauchamp, Roy Burdick T-Bird, $800.00

2.Buck Baker, Baker Chevrolet, $525.00 (1 lap down)

3. Tiger Tom Pistone, Rupert Safety Belt T-Bird, $350.00 (3 laps down)

4. Speedy Thompson, Steve Pierce Chevrolet, $250.00 (4 laps down)

5. Joe Eubanks, Don Every Ford, $225.00 (5 laps down)

6. Shorty Rollins

7. Billy Carden

8. Fireball Roberts

9. Tiny Lund

10. Bob Welborn

11.Jim McQuirk

12. Sam Massey

13. Roscoe Thompson

14. Cotton Owens

15. J. C. Hendrix

16. Charles Barron

17. Lee Petty

18. Johnny Allen

19. Pete Kelly

20. Charlie Griffin

21.Jack Smith

Average Speed for the race was 75.172 mph.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

According to the varied newspaper accounts, it is doubtful Beauchamp's car would have lasted another lap or two, as it began trailing heavy smoke from the rear end just before the checkers.

Associated Press (AP) report from the Rome (Georgia) News-Tribune and United Press International (UPI) report from the Spencer (Iowa) Daily Reporter , respectively:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Dave, that is an interesting bit of information by source did not disclose. Thanks for adding that excitement to the post.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

On the same day Beauchamp won at Lakewood, Curtis Turner won the Catawba 250 NASCAR convertible series race at Hickory.

Race report from Statesville Record and Landmark.

1959 Hickory Catawba 250 Turner 032359StatesvilleRecordLandmark.png

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 03/22/17 10:23:31AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Preview for both races from Spartanburg Herald

1959 Lakewood preview 032259SHJ.png

1959 Hickory Catawba 250 preview 032259SHJ.png

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 03/22/17 11:08:06AM