Racing History Minute - March 25, 1967

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

The 1967 season is often referred to as the year Richard Petty became The King, having won 27 of 46 races and even 10 in a row. But on this date in 1967, it was The King's main rival, The Silver Fox, who would outclass the field on the half-mile dirt track in Greenville, SC. Greenville-Pickens Speedway is a track with a long history in NASCAR and some of the finest drivers to ever turn the steering wheel to the left are remembered as track champions on the wall surrounding the track.

Twenty-three cars and drivers qualified for the event with Dick Hutcherson putting the Bondy Long Ford on the pole with a speed of 70.313 mph. This was the 16th pole for Hutcherson in his career. David Pearson would start second in a Cotton Owens Dodge, Elmo Langley, in the Langley-Woodfield Ford third, John Sears in the L.G. DeWitt Ford in fourth and Jim Paschal in the Friedkin Plymouth entry fifth.

David Pearson took the lead at the start and stayed in front for 74 circuits before Richard Petty moved from his sixth place starting position to lead two laps. Pearson took over again and would lead the rest of the way, although Jim Paschal was running him down at the end. Petty had been involved in a crash on pit road with Dick Hutcherson and on lap 100 of the 200 scheduled, Petty spun out and withdrew from the race at that point.

As the race was winding down, the 8,300 fans in attendance, probably a partisan Pearson crowd as David is from nearby Spartanburg, were watching a determined Jim Paschal closes the gap and appeared to have a shot for the win when the checkered flag would be dropped. However, with three laps to go, the Paschal Plymouth ran out of gas and coasted to a stop in turn three. He could only watch as Pearson sprinted to the win uncontested.

Pearson won at an average speed of 61.824 mph for the 100 miles.

Finishing order:

1. David Pearson, Cotton Owens Dodge, $1,200.00

2. Jim Paschal, Friedkin Enterprises Plymouth, $600.00 (3 laps down)****

****Paschal actually did not finish the race. He was stalled in turn 3 out of gas***

3. John Sears, L.G. DeWitt Ford, $400.00 (3 laps down)

4. Buddy Baker, Toy Bolton Chevrolet, $300.00 (9 laps down)

5. James Hylton, Bud Hartje Dodge, $275.00 (10 laps down)

6. Elmo Langley

7. Dick Hutcherson

8. Neil Castles

9. Curly Mills

10. Wendell Scott

11. Clyde Lynn

12.Dick Johnson

13. Henley Gray

14.Bill Seifert

15.Earl Brooks

16. Larry Miller

17. GeorgePoulos

18.Bill Vanderhoff

19. Richard Petty

20. Bill Ervin

21. Bobby Allison

22. Harold Stockton

23. Larry Hess(driving a 1966 Rambler)

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

I've searched high and low for newspaper race reports. So far, I haven't found any. This race was run on the Saturday before Easter. My hunch is many newspaper copy people, editors, and pressmen didn't stay late cramming in last minute stories for the Sunday editions.

While a report of the race may not have been published in many papers on Easter Sunday, a report about Chrysler's frustrations with NASCAR and FoMoCo was printed. Less than 2 years from its boycott of much of the 1965 GN season, Chrysler was prepared to sit its factory backed teams again. Differences were fortunately smoothed out, and all the Mopar teams raced as scheduled at Atlanta. But its hard to imagine what may have been in terms of the King's 27-win season going *poof*. Spartanburg Herald

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Race preview from Spartanburg paper:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.