Racing History Minute - March 27, 1955

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

This History Minute for yesterday covered the 100 mile race at Columbia Speedway in which Fonty Flock gave Chevrolet its first Grand National win. Whether it was the result of that first win or not, I cannot say, but the race we cover today had four top executives of the Chevrolet Division of General Motors in attendance.It was, unfortunately, not a good day for the Chevys (2) in the race, but the crowd of 8,000 was treated to a good show.

The race was held on the 1.0 mile (sometimes considered a .9 mile track) known as Orange Speedway located in Hillsboro, NC. There were 21 starters with Tim Flock winning the pole with a qualifying speed of 91.696 mph. Buck Baker would start the Griffin Motors Oldsmobile second, Jim Paschal in the Helzafire Olds third, Fonty Flock in the Frank Christain Chevrolet fourth, and Don White in an Oldsmobile fifth.

The race was to be 100 laps around the slightly banked track which had a back straight running right beside the river. Tim Flock took off in his Mercury Outboards Chrysler and would lead the first 48 laps. On lap 49, having methodically worked his way to be in a position to take over the lead, Jim Paschal moved his Olds to the point where he would stay 'til the end. Jim had built up a half lap lead by that point to take the win going away with an average speed of 82.304 mph.

The only caution flag was displayed only once. Rookie John Capps flipped his Lincoln on lap 21. Capps was not injured, but the Lincoln was done for the day.

Finishing Order:

1. Jim Paschal, Helzafire Oldsmobile, $1,000.00

2. Buck Baker, Griffin Motors Oldsmobile, $650.00 (1/2 lap down)

3. Don White, Oldsmobile, $400.00

4. Joel Million, Ernest Woods Oldsmobile, $350.00 (1 lap down)

5. Fonty Flock, Frank Christian Chevrolet, $300.00 (1 lap down)

6. Lee Petty

7. Ralph Liguori

8. Mark Hanbury

9. John Dodd, Jr.

10. Tommy Ringstaff

11. Gene Simpson

12. Junior Johnson

13. Donald Thomas

14. Dick Rathmann

15. Eddie Skinner

16. Herb Thomas

17. Tim Flock

18. Blackie Pitt

19.John Capps

20. Jimmie Lewallen

21. Fred Dove

PERSONAL NOTE: The track where this race was held is on the Register of Historic Places and is the site where The Historic Speedway Group holds an event each September. I have been privileged to attend that event for the past four years. In my humble opinion, the event, known as the "Celebration of the Automobile" is the absolute pinnacle of events for those of us who treasure this history of stock car racing. The parade of historic race cars around the track is spectacular beyond words to describe. You MUST see that. Also, some of the most significant figures from racings early days are in attendance to meet with and interact with fans throughout the day. If you have only ONE event a year you wish to attend, make it that one. You will not be disappointed! Check it out on our "Events" calendar here on site.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Tim, that must have been an especially hearty band of racers and spectators - 8,000 reported - at Hillsboro that day. The front page newspaper accounts from around the country tell of a terrible winter storm that hit on Saturday, March 27, 1955, bringing destruction, crop failure and lowest recorded temperatures for the date in history.

Here;'s a couple of front page items from the Lexington, North Carolina paper. Lexington is just 75 miles away from the race site:

The Reading Eagle in Pennsylvania told the same front page story, with an AP dateline of Chicago highlighting the loss of the southern peach crop in 8 states from the March 27, 1955 freeze:

The Reading sports pages also told that unlike the racers and fans at Hillsboro, those expecting to see the big car races at Reading Fairgrounds were literally frozen out:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Program from N.B. Arnold's gallery

1955 Hillsboro program nbarnoldRR.jpg

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.