On This Day June 11, 1978 Riverside International Raceway

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

A week after I saw my first live Cup race, the Music City 420 at Nashville, the Cup series headed west young man to again race the road course of Riverside International Raceway. The NAPA 400 was run on June 11, 1978. - Motor Racing Programme Covers

To save costs and perhaps manage through internal team issues, Benny Parsons' team was pitted by Cale Yarborough's Junior Johnson team. The two teams shared a common sponsor - First National City Travelers Checks - but had nothing else in common.

It really is amazing to think a team would be willing to pit a legit competitor - and to think a crew would have to perform twice the number of stops ... in 90+ degree heat. What a great era of racing.

The Silver Fox, David Pearson, won the pole in the Wood Brothers Mercury. Cale Yarborough qualified on the front row with him. Dave Marcis, Benny Parsons and Bobby Allison rounded out the top 5 starters.

Pearson wasn't much of a factor in the race. He didn't lead any laps, broke a valve after 66 laps, and finished 27th in the 35-car field. Marcis had a solid day finishing 4th after starting 3rd in car number 2. How's THAT for some racing numerology.

Cale was the rabbit in the first half of the race. He led 47 of the first 54 laps. After losing a tire, pitting and surrendering the lead, however, he was never able to get back to the front. When the checkers fell, he had to settle for 5th.

The remaining laps were led by Richard Petty, Bobby Allison and Benny Parsons. After Petty and Allison made their final stops of the day, they went searching for Parsons who had inherited the lead again. But Benny had built a sizable lead and used the accelerator as if it had an egg under it in an effort to extend his fuel mileage.

Sure enough with about a 30 second lead over the King, Benny was able to creep across the finish line with barely enough gas left in the tank. In today's racing, perhaps NASCAR would argue the 72 wasn't maintaining race speed. But in that era, the L.G. DeWitt team and Junior Johnson crew played the rules and strategy perfectly to stretch the tank of gas as far as it would go - all the way to victory lane.

Benny going through the Esses - from Richard Guido

Finishing a mildly surprising second was King Richard. I say mildly surprising for a couple of reasons:

• He hadn't won in almost one year
  • His stomach ulcers gave him fits as they would continue to do so the rest of the season
  • He was making his one and only start at Riverside in the ill-fated Dodge Magnum. (The team raced the fabulous Dodge Charger in the season-opener at Riverside.) Though the car was often un-competitive in many races, Petty did manage a 3rd place finish on Nashville's half-mile followed a 2nd place finish at Riverside. Go figure.

Victory celebration - Sumter Daily Item

Race report from Times-News

Interestingly, just a couple of weeks earlier Benny was talking about a pinched nerve in his neck and a couple of messed up vertebrae that were giving him fits. Facing possible surgery, he manged his way through the discomfort the rest of the season. I have to believe the back-and-forth steering needed at Riverside didn't do his neck any favors. Yet the win likely soothed him a bit for at least a day or two. - Spartanburg Herald Journal

As it turns out, the Riverside victory was Benny's final win of the 1978 season. Faced with the on-going health issues plus internal management issues with the DeWitt team, Benny chose to part ways with the organization at the end of the season. The race also turned out to be the final one EVER for the DeWitt team. Despite a promising fresh start with Joe Millikan in 1979, the 1973 championship winning team ran out of money and was shuttered after only a few races into 1980. - Spartanburg Herald Journal

Fin Driver Car
1 Benny Parsons Chevrolet
2 Richard Petty Dodge
3 Bobby Allison Ford
4 Dave Marcis Chevrolet
5 Cale Yarborough Oldsmobile
6 Ray Elder Dodge
7 Lennie Pond Chevrolet
8 Bill Schmitt Oldsmobile
9 Jim Thirkettle Buick
10 Neil Bonnett Dodge
11 Tighe Scott Chevrolet
12 Cecil Gordon Chevrolet
13 Rick McCray Chevrolet
14 D.K. Ulrich Chevrolet
15 Richard Childress Oldsmobile
16 Darrell Waltrip Chevrolet
17 Hershel McGriff Chevrolet
18 Buddy Arrington Ford
19 Richard White Chevrolet
20 Harry Goularte Chevrolet
21 Dick May Chevrolet
22 Don Graham Chevrolet
23 John Borneman Chevrolet
24 J.D. McDuffie Chevrolet
25 Ronnie Thomas Chevrolet
26 Dick Brooks Ford
27 David Pearson Mercury
28 Chuck Wahl Chevrolet
29 Frank Warren Dodge
30 Rocky Moran Buick
31 Ernie Stierly Chevrolet
32 Jimmy Insolo Oldsmobile
33 Don Noel Chevrolet
34 Bill Baker Buick
35 Norm Palmer Dodge

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Once again, an excellent post of historic proportions!!! Loving these stories and loving these photos. You guys are awesome.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Rick Marshall (aka rickysuave44) has a few good photos in his Photobucket collection. He allowed me to include a couple from the 1977 Riverside race that Petty won in my blog post. In looking through them, I then found these gems from the 1978 race.

http://s210.photobucket.com/user/Rickysuave44/library/1978%20Napa%20400-%20Riverside?sort=2&page=1

Pole winner Pearson
1978 Riverside NAPA 400 Pearson.jpg
King Richard's Magnum
1978 Riverside NAPA 400 Petty.jpg
Lennie Pond in a Henley Gray Chevy - though entered with Harry Ranier as car owner
1978 Riverside NAPA 400 Pond.jpg
5th place finisher Cale Yarborough
1978 Riverside NAPA 400 Cale.jpg
Bill Schmitt (73) and Dave Marcis in the Rod Osterland #2. Marcis started 3rd and finished 4th. A year later, rookie Dale Earnhardt won the pole in likely the same car.
1978 Riverside NAPA 400 Marcis.jpg
Hershel McGriff in what looks to be a James Hylton Chevy though McGriff supposedly fielded in under his name as owner.
1978 Riverside NAPA 400 McGriff.jpg

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 06/10/18 03:33:48PM
Scott Baker
@scott-baker
10 years ago
69 posts

Great job Chase!

J.C. HAYES
@jc-hayes
8 years ago
37 posts

I WAS THERE AND ALSO FROM 1/1965 - 6/988 AT LESS ON CUP RACE AT MY FAVORITE TRACK EVER