July 30, 1966: Two racing but winless legends make their GN debut

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

On July 30, 1966, Coo Coo Marlin and Marty Robbins made their NASCAR Grand National racing debuts - both in the Nashville 400 at the fairgrounds speedway.

Marty made frequent starts at Nashville in late models, and many of his races had to be worked around his scheduled appearances on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry. While Marty is most remembered for his um... uh... err... unique purple and yellow painted #42 Dodges, he made his first GN start in a plain white #53 Ford. Starting behind Robbins in car #74 was independent driver Henley Gray.

Also making his first NASCAR Grand National start was one of middle Tennessee's iconic racers - Coo Coo Marlin from Columbia, TN. Coo Coo was a weekly race regular at the fairgrounds and was a four-time late model sportsman champion there (including in 1966). His first Grand National start, however, didn't come until this race. For the first couple of seasons as Coo Coo increased his number of GN starts, he ran #07 Chevrolets. Beginning in 1972 and for the rest of his career, he doubled his number to 14. For his first career start, however, he started and finished 8th in a #97 Ford owned by ... yep, Henley Gray.

Oh, the race? Well it was won by who else - King Richard. Petty won the race for the 3rd consecutive time - a streak he'd grow to 4 straight by winning again in 1967. More here:

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2012/07/july-30-this-day-in-petty-history-part-2.html

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/29/18 11:10:50PM
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
10 years ago
626 posts

Good Stuff thanks

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
10 years ago
221 posts

Petty did not win four in a row. He swept 64, Hutch won 65(1), and Richard took 65(2), 66, and 67. 66 and 67 had only one race each. Not only did he win those, but Petty Enterprises own Jim Paschal took 62 and 63!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

I didn't say he won 4 in a row AT Nashville. I said he won the RACE 4x in a row. RP won the Nashville 400 4 straight years from 64 thru 67. His 65 win in the 400 was in only the 2nd start after the Mopar NASCAR boycott was lifted.

Paschal did indeed win for PE at Nashville in 62 and 63, but he also three-peated by winning for car owner JULIAN Petty in 1961.

--
Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
10 years ago
221 posts

OK, that makes sense because the race Hutch won was at a different time of year. It was a good track to be a Petty at. Shame they don't at least have the trucks run there because it's one of the best, if not the best, high speed short track in the country.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Agreed! Grew up at the fairgrounds on many Saturday nights of late 70s. Have also returned a few times over the last couple of seasons. Still get a thrill of watching 'em zip around the banks. The number of reasons why NASCAR simply can't return here are too numerous to enumerate here.

--
Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
10 years ago
221 posts

I've read the laundry list of legal issues over the years. Constant fights between them and the city are always threatening the racing. Look at Birmingham: the track got torn down to build a swimming pool when there was tons of available land all over the place.

Jerry Lawless
@jerry-lawless
10 years ago
4 posts

The biggest issue is a long term lease. Hopefully the Formosa's will be able to secure one with a new mayor.

Jerry

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

I'm not holding my breath. Too many fat cat politicians & developers around here have many ill-defined plans that give them the negotiating edge over Tony Jr. & his team.

--