HOW DO YOU KEEP TRACKED OF THE LOCATIONS OF ALL THE FAYETTEVILLE,NC. RACE TRACKS?

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
10 years ago
560 posts

HOW DO YOU KEEP TRACKED OF THE LOCATIONS OF ALL THE FAYETTEVILLE,NC. RACE TRACKS?

IS IT CHAMPION RACEWAY - FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. OR CHAMPION SPEEDWAY - FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. ? WHERE ARE THEY LOCATED?

WHERE FAYETTEVILLE MOTOR SPORTS PARK LOCATED?

PHOTO 1. FAYETTEVILLE,NC. RACE TRACKS LISTED IN BOOK: THE HISTORY OF AMERICAN SPEEDWAY PAST AND PRESENT.

PHOTO #2. CHAMPION SPEEDWAY - FAYETTEVILLE, NC BUILT BY HAROLD BRASINGTON.
1/4 MILE DIRT OVAL (EARLY 1950'S)
1/3 MILE DIRT OVAL (5/10/1953 - 1959) / MARVIN PANCH WAS THE LAST PROMOTER
LISTED IN BOOK: THE HISTORY OF AMERICAN SPEEDWAY PAST AND PRESENT.

PHOTO #3. RACING RESULTS FOR SHORT DIVISION, RACE NO. 1
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C., MARCH 14, 1954, 100 MILES
ON PAGE 60 IN SEPTEMBER,1954 SPEED AGE MAGAZINE.

NOTE: THE ABOVE RACING RESULTS DIDN'T LISTED THE TRACK AS AN NASCAR 1/4 MILE DIRT OVAL OR 1/3 MILE PAVED OVAL TRACK (5/10/1953 - 1959) / MARVIN PANCH WAS THE LAST PROMOTER.

PHOTO #4. NASCAR SHORT TRACK DIVISION RACE TRACKS LISTING, SPEED AGE MAGAZINE AUGUST 1954 PAGE 61

PHOTO #5. CHAMPION RACEWAY - FAYETTEVILLE, NC NASCAR RACE TRACK ADVERTISEMENT ON BACK COVER OF SEPTEMBER,1954 SPEED AGE MAGAZINE

PHOTO # 6. ADDITIONAL NASCAR 1954 RACING DATES FOR FRIDAYS - FAYETTEVILLE, N. C., CHAMPION RACEWAY (HOBBY - SPORTSMAN) DIVISION

PHOTO #7. SEPT. 16, 1955 FAYETTEVILLE, N. C. NASCAR MIDGET SCHEDULE

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

updated by @dennis-garrett: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Dennis, I've been trying to sort this all out too. Very confusing, and frustrating that few here on RR seems to know anything about Fayetteville race track lineage.

And I honestly believe that Allan E. Brown of "America's Speedways" didn't know how to sort it all out either.

I've done my best to try sorting it out in this 1958 photo. Eric Cardona and Dennis Andrews positively IDed the old Fayetteville Speedway with drag strip, and Champion Speedway/Raceway below it.

There are close-ups of the tracks in the Rockfish Speedway post and old Fayetteville Speedway post by Eric Cardona.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Our RR member, Jim Streeter started racing around 1949 and I know I've read where he says he ran at Champion. He might be some help on the subject of fayetteville tracks.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

Raeford Tracks

Wide Open Motocross Park (2005-)

Rockfish Speedway (2009-)

Hope Mills Tracks

Rockfish Superspeedway (1957-1964)

Fayetteville Tracks

Fayetteville Raceway (1937-1946)

Cumberland Speedway (1948-1950)

Champion Speedway (1950-1959)

Fayetteville Motorsports Park (1968-)

Bradshaw's Motocross Park (1970-1987)

Fayetteville Speedway (1972-1979)

Genters Collision Motocross Park (1993-2005)

Crown Center (1997-)

Midsouth Speedway (2012-)

Race Zone @ The Putt Putt Fun Center (2012-)

Spring Lake Tracks

Harnett County Speedway (1950-1970)

Tar Heel Tracks

Riverside Speedway (2006)

Tar Heel Speedway (1998-)

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The paved Cumberland International Speedway where we raced a time or two under NASCAR sanction in the early 70s and which also operated as Cumberland County Speedway is today's dirt Fayetteville Speedway. At the time they were running NASCAR sanctioned modified and Late Model Sportsman races at Cumberland County Speedway, a different track - Fayetteville Speedway (the cemetery) was staging outlaw dirt races.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

That's very helpful info, Dave. The history of that track is very confusing.

Here are some great aerials of the paved Cumberland International Speedway from December 18, 1971. In the wide shot you can still see the ghost of what I believe was the first Cumberland Speedway 1/2 dirt track to the far right below the curve of the Cape Fear River that ran the stock cars in 1948 mention in the old article.

Now, where was the Cumberland County Speedway you say they ran the Modified and Sportsman races at that time?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

It was the paved track...that now is dirt and running uner the Fayetteville Speedway moniker.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

I see. It's all the same track. The Cumberland International Speedwayand Cumberland CountySpeedway confused me. And now it's a dirt track called Fayetteville Motor Speedway (Park).

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

RR member, Monk Hair once owned Cumberland International Speedway - in addition to driving.

If anyone can shed some light on the various Fayetteville tracks I'd think he could:

MONK HAIR left a comment for Dennis Andrews

"YES, I USE TO RACE THERE AND ALL THE OUTLAW TRACK AROUND. RACED AT FAYETTEVILLE SPEEDWAY AND ONCE OWNED CUMBERLAND INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY. "

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Correct, Robert.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Y'all's ball, lol!

--
Marty Wright
@marty-wright
6 years ago
3 posts

I know this is a old thread. Thought I would correct one small detail The old Cumberland Speedway 1948 thru 1950 was located with in the red square. My grand father pointed it out to me. Said when he was young him and friends would hide in the woods and sneak in. Also said there was a track in the area of crown ford on Skibo rd. Can't recall the name of it. Sorry click picture will enlarge.

10812_discussions_LI.jpg

updated by @marty-wright: 12/19/18 09:01:02AM