Sunday Oct 12 at Memory Lane Museum

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Just learned Memory Lane Museum is having a special even this Sunday following Saturday's race at Charlotte. From 1-3 PM ET, the museum will be hosting Rex White, Marvin Panch, Buddy Baker, Frances Flock, Bobby Allison, Ernie Irvan and Waddell Wilson.

http://www.memorylaneautomuseum.com/Events.html

Glad I heard about it today. I think I may time my return trip from Charlotte back home to stop by and meet some or all of these legends.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Hope you do stop off Chase. I will be there as well. Hope to meet you face-to-face.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Hey! Good to know! Yes, I'll definitely enjoy the chance to finally meet and shake your hand. But don't think you're getting any of my Schaefer. LOL

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Chase, just look for the fellow with the "I'm Famous" sign!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Chase,don't worry about your Schaefer because I rarely drink beer and if I do, it's never more than one. Oh, and don't be looking for the "Famous" sign because Dave won't be there to bring one for me. But you'll probably recognize the hat. I think I'll wear the black one Sunday! I'm looking forward to meeting you.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
10 years ago
214 posts

Rex White Will Be There From 10:00 AM Until 1:30 PM.

Thanks

Harlow Reynolds

Lynchburg,Va..

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
10 years ago
560 posts

Tim Leeming, TMC Chase, Harlow Reynolds

PLEASE ASKED BOBBY AND JUDY ALLISON WHO WROTE " THE RACER'S PRAYER" ? WHAT YEAR WAS IT WRITTEN?

I HEARD IT WAS ONE OF THEIR FAMILY MEMBER WROTE IT?

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Dennis, according to our RR members, Dargan Watts and Richard Guy, the Racer's Prayer was written by Brother Bill Frazier, the one-time traveling chaplain on the NASCAR circuit. Look at this link to the prayer as it was posted on Sam Ard's toolbox and the discussion on the picture from Jo Ard put up by Jan Woodberry:

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/a-racers-prayer

Brother Bill Frazier at a NASCAR track in 1970.

Dennis, also check this link here at RR for more info:

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/forum/topics/i-understand-from-br...

www.chapelteam.com photo

www.chapelteam.com photo

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The article below about Brother Bill Frazier - and "The Racer's Prayer" - was written by RR member, Dargan Watts and appeared in the October 17, 1972 edition of the Sumter (SC) Daily Item :

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
10 years ago
560 posts

DAVE,

THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS AND INFORMATION ON BROTHER BILL FRAZIER.

#1. HOW MANY SISTERS DO BOBBY & DONNIE ALLISON HAVE?

#2. DO YOU KNOW THEIR NAMES?

SOMETIME AGO, JUDY & BOBBY ALLISON TOLD RUTH & JOE KELLY THAT BOBBY ALLISON'S SISTER WROTE "THE RACER'S PRAYER".

THAT IS WHY I ASKED Tim Leeming, TMC Chase, Harlow Reynolds ,

PLEASE ASKED BOBBY AND JUDY ALLISON WHO WROTE " THE RACER'S PRAYER" ? WHAT YEAR WAS IT WRITTEN?

I HEARD IT WAS ONE OF THEIR FAMILY MEMBER WROTE IT?

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Good times today! After hitting the CMS races Fri and Sat, I went to Memory Lane for about 3 hours Sunday afternoon before heading home.

What a great opportunity I had to meet some true legends. I'm not sure I'll capture everyone I met, but I had a blast meeting and chatting with folks such as:

• Bobby Allison
  • Ted Musgrave
  • Jim Vandiver
  • Waddell Wilson
  • Brownie King
  • Rex White
  • Little Bud Moore
  • Marvin Panch
  • Greg Moore
  • Tom Higgins
  • Soapy Castles
  • Frances Flock
  • Tiger Tom Pistone

The event was made that much better by finally getting to meet some of folks face to face that I know here only by their photos and posts. It was a pleasure meeting:

• Jimmy Johnson
  • Tim Leeming
  • Ray Lamm
  • Robin Aigner

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

And Dennis, it was Bobby's sister, Claire Sundman, who wrote The Racer's Prayer. She passed away in 1988 from cancer.

My conversation with Bobby & Judy Allison went something like this:

Me: I was requested to ask you a question. Y'all remember Bro. Bill Frazier don't you?

Allisons: Oh yes.

Me: He had The Racer's Prayer and...

Judy: Bobby's sister wrote that!

Me: Ha! Well, you read my mind. I was told that one of your sister's may have written it. Who was it?

Bobby: Claire. Claire Sundman (Judy then told me about her passing away in 88.)

Me: Sundman. Hmm, I seem to recall a driver who may have used a name like that one way back when.

Bobby: (laughed) Well, it was Sunderman. Bob Sunderman. It was before he and Claire married. But he had a NASCAR license and I didn't. So I borrowed his for a while.

Judy: And his daddy got so mad!

I haven't found Claire's obituary on-line. But I found a news clipping about a more joyous occasion - when she married in 1954. - Miami News

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Very interesting, Chase. Glad you are home safely after your weekend adventures.

--
Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

Awesome, Chase. :)

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
10 years ago
214 posts

It was awesome to meet chase at memory lane sun. it was awesome to have picture taken with chase, tim leeming and ray lamm.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts
That picture reminds me of my cell phone signal strength!

--
Blane Moon
@blane-moon
10 years ago
113 posts

I had the opportunity to work with Brother Bill in the late 80's. He was the president of Winners Circle Auto Parts. We were the primary sponsor for Morgan Shepherd in the Busch Series, as well as a youngster named Bobby Labonte. Bill was great to work for!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

3 Bars, 3 Schaefers!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Ringtone for the trio above!

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
10 years ago
560 posts

TMC CHASE,
THANKS FOR ASKING JUDY & BOBBY ALLISON ABOUT WHO WROTE "THE RACER'S PRAYER.

ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO, I WAS LISTENING TO "LET'S TALK RACING WITH JOE & RUTH KELLY" RADIO PROGRAM. I FOUND OUT THAT JUDY & BOBBY ALLISON HAD TOLD RUTH & JOE KELLY THAT BOBBY'S SISTER HAD WROTE "THE RACER'S PRAYER".

I STARTING SEARCHING THE INTERNET TO FOUND OUT WHO WROTE "THE RACER'S PRAYER" ? WHAT YEAR WAS IT WRITTEN?

I FOUND OUT FROM THE INTERNET THAT IT HAS MANY VERSIONS OF THE THREE WORD TERM NAME: "THE RACER'S PRAYER".

"THE RACER'S PRAYER":
FOR GO-KART RACING, AIRPLANE RACING, BOAT RACING, MOTORCYCLE RACING, DRAG RACING, AND STOCK CAR RACING.

"THE RACER'S PRAYER": FOR MOTHERS,FATHERS,SISTERS,BROTHERS,SONS,DAUGHTERS, WHOM ARE RACERS OR INVOLVED IN RACING.

TWO WEEKS AGO, ON JOE & RUTH KELLY RADIO TALK SHOW, JOE & RUTH KELLY SAID THAT BOBBY ALLISON'S SISTER WHO NAME IS CLAIRE SUNDMAN, WROTE "THE RACER'S PRAYER".

AFTER I FOUND OUT BOBBY ALLISON AND TMC CHASE/HAROLD/TIM MIGHT HAVE AN AUTOGRAPH MEETING THIS PAST SATURDAY.
I ASKED TMC CHASE/HAROLD/TIM TO ASKED BOBBY ALLISON WHO WROTE "THE RACER'S PRAYER".

I FOUND OUT FROM TMC CHASE THAT JUDY & BOBBY ALLISON SAID, BOBBY'S SISTER WHO NAME IS CLAIRE SUNDMAN, WROTE "THE RACER'S PRAYER".

I WISHED IN THE FUTURE, THAT JUDY AND BOBBY ALLISON WOULD GIVE US AN DATE AND COPY OF THE CLAIRE SUNDMAN'S "THE RACER'S PRAYER".
MAYBE IN THE ALLISON FAMILY BIBLE, THERE IS AN CLAIRE SUNDMAN HAND WRITING DATED ORGINAL OF "THE RACER'S PRAYER".

IT WOULD VERY INTERESTING TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CLAIRE SUNDMAN'S VERSION OF "THE RACER'S PRAYER" AND THE OTHER VERSIONS OF "THE RACER'S PRAYER".
ABOVE IS THREE VERSIONS OF THE THREE WORD TERM NAME: "THE RACER'S PRAYER" THAT WAS POSTED AT THIS WEBSITE.

#1. BROTHER BILL FRAZIER'S "WITH "GOD" YOU'RE ALWAYS A WINNER" VERSION OF "THE RACER'S PRAYER".
http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/1981311:Photo:84638

#2. IS THIS CLAIRE SUNDMAN'S "WITH YOU I AM ALWAYS A WINNER" VERSION OF "THE RACER'S PRAYER"?
http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/a-racers-prayer

#3. BROTHER BILL BAIRD'S "JESUS CHRIST, THE WINNING TEAM" VERSION OF "THE RACER'S PRAYER"
http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/photo/1981311:Photo:7063

MANY TIMES BEFORE THE RACE AS RACE TRACK ANNOUNCER, JOE KELLY OF "LET'S TALK RACING WITH JOE & RUTH KELLY" SAID THAT HE HAS USED BROTHER BILL FRAZIER'S WITH "GOD" YOU'RE ALWAYS A WINNER VERSION OF "THE RACER'S PRAYER".
MANY TIMES, JOE KELLY IS REQUESTED BY FAMILY MEMBERS TO SAY "THE RACER'S PRAYER" AT THE AUTO RACER'S FUNERAL.

IN MY HEART I KNOW WHO WROTE THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF "THE RACER'S PRAYER".
"GOD"

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA