Former racecar driver accused of making meth

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
10 years ago
514 posts

GOOSE CREEK, SC (WCSC) -

A former racecar driver is facing several drug-related charges.

Robert Powell, 49, is charged with possession of meth, and manufacturing of meth.

Goose Creek Police say officers were called to a home along Annette Drive in November due to possible drug activity.

According to a police report, investigators collected a garbage can by the house, which was set by the curb for pick-up. Investigators informed the Drug Enforcement Agency, which noted it found many meth-making materials in the can, including empty containers of drain cleaner, batteries and cold medicine. Agents say many syringes were found, including one that tested positive for meth.

Powell and another resident, Elma Buchanan, were both arrested and charged.

Powell competed in many Nascar-sanctioned races in the 1980's, including at the Summerville Speedway.

Source: Berkeley County Detention Center

updated by @stars-radio: 12/16/16 07:54:33AM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

how sad if proven true. these kind of drugs permeates our society and are rampant.

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

I expected Jeremy Mayfield

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

True, but it's not much different than the moonshine runners.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

careful there Eric ,,

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

He was accused before, no doubt he could do it again.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

I could accuse you of many things but proving such may be a task not worthy by some. See how the correct word you think is right is not the correct one at all.

This site is to try to bring the members and general readers the past present and future of all things racing. Dont try to convict only on assumption.. Remember if the glove dont fit you must aquit .. Watch your sayings and finger pointing.

Im merely trying to keep you and most of all Racers Reunion out of the Legal eye and away from possible Lawsuit. Doesnt seem possible you say? Nothing is impossible it just takes a little longer.

A little side note to this effect. Tim and myself have been racing since the 60s and have beat and banged on the track just short of taking each other out, and afterwards looked and shook fingers at each other. But you know what, we always parked close or next to each other in the pits. There is a video of us meeting again and words continued but still we are best of friends. Augusta Highlights 2009

David Elrod
@david-elrod
10 years ago
12 posts
I raced a lot of years against Robert. Grew up with him and his brother Charles. I hope and pray that he is innocent of these charges. Robert is very talented driver.
If you put him in a cup race back in his prime with equal equipment he would more than held his own. He was also a former Winston racing series national champion. Again I hope these charges prove to be false.
Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts
Shame he doesn't have the money to hire Rick Hendrick's legal staff. I hear they are very good.