MIKE SYKES MEDICAL BENEFIT FUND

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

As Jeff reported on the Forum here in an earlier post, Mike Sykes has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Mike met with this doctors this past Wednesday and it was decided that Chemo and Radiation would be immediately commenced and I understand the first treatment will bet his coming Wednesday. Mike is confident with his doctors and was in good spirits when I talked with him last week.

As most of you know, Mike has always been very active in support for the pioneers of the sport of stock car racing, being a major force behind the Old Timers Racing Hardship Fund. In addition to that, Mike has dedicated a large part of his life to seeing that the history and heritage of the sport of stock car racing is preserved and honored in the manner to which it is entitled. In short, Mike is, and has been, a vital part in RacersReunion and in the efforts of all of us who support the cause.

Some of the members of the Old Timers group got together and have set up a fund to help Mike with the medical expenses he will incur while fighting this cancer. I am going to provide the information below for contributions to that fund, but please note that contributions made to Mike's fund are IN NO WAY, inferred to be made to the Old Timers Fund. The fund about which I providing the information is a fund established specifically and solely for Mike's medical expenses. Contributions of any amount will be welcomed.

I do not have the information for contributions by credit card or paypal or any of that cyber technical stuff I don't understand. I do, however, have the name and address of the administrator of the fund which is, as follows:

Hal Surratt, CPA

10948 North Main Street, Suite C

Archdale, NC, 27363

Checks should be made payable to: Mike Sykes Medical Benefit Fund

For any of you who may not know Mike, ask me about him. I have only good things to say about this man and I've known him since 2009 when RacersReunion was fully active in events around South Carolina and North Carolina. Men don't come much better than Mike. I hope everyone will consider what they can contribute to this worthwhile cause.

If anyone has questions, e-mail me or call me. I know any cancer is serious business. I have been given a very non-medical report on Mike's diagnosis, which I would not begin to attempt to outline here. Mike is facing a tough fight, but Mike is the kind of person who will do what it takes to defeat this demon.

Thank you for reading.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/03/16 07:51:32PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

I'm commenting on this Forum post today to bump it back to the to of the page. I feel this is an important endeavor. Thank you.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Devin
@devin
9 years ago
618 posts

"Bump" ttt

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

I will second that motion !!

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

REPEAT

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Yesterday I learned that one of the items to be auctioned is one of The King's actual cowboy hats. I want that hat (if it fits me) and because I have very little money with which to bid, I am asking everyone else to stay away from the event on the 16th so I can successfully bid on that hat. HEAR ME???????

--

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

You are enticing a showdown at the bidders table... You could be outbid on the phone !!

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Johnny,I want it to wear. If it doesn't fit me then I won't be bidding!!!

--

Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
9 years ago
214 posts

Woodbrothers sent a nice piece...

Thanks--Harlow reynolds-Lynchburg,Va.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Can't wait to see what the Wood Brothers sent. They are such a class act.

--

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
9 years ago
171 posts

Though I don't know Mike Sykes personally, I have heard lots of good things about him. He is in my thoughts and prayers. It is so good that you're doing this for him, Tim. We will definitely send a contribution. Jan

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Jan, I am only a small part of one person who will be attending. Several other guys are

responsible for putting on the event. I have known Mike for several years and he is a really wonderful person. Don't come any better. Thanks for your support of the effort.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

I had forgotten there is a 4:00 AM. Oh well, time to hit the road for a good day. Hope to see many of you in Randleman.

--

Karen Perkins Biscoe
@karen-perkins-biscoe
9 years ago
3 posts

I am very sorry for the news Mike has been given but Carlton Pugh and others have been given similar news and do not have insurance, or still working and would only wish the could take their family to the beach or even out to eat. I am very disappointed that someone as Carlton Pugh and the others in racing familyhave not been given a fund raising opportunity to assist in their medical fund.

Heart Broken and very disappointed.

Karen Perkins Biscoe
@karen-perkins-biscoe
9 years ago
3 posts

Update on our friend and racing buddy - Carlton Pugh. Carlton is still in the hospital and is beginning to eat more. We are keeping him in our prayers. If you would like to send him a card - send me a message and I'll get his address to you. If you post a message here, I'll get it to him.

Legendary Flathead Ford Racing Series's photo.

Our member and good friend, Carlton Pugh has lung cancer. We would appreciate everyone keeping Carlton in your prayers and we hope he can beat this and continue racing with us. Ref Bill Blair Facebook April 4

Carlton went home from the hospital today and is able to eat something now. Laura and Carlton wanted me to tell everyone "Thank You" for the prayers and well wishes. It means a lot to them and has lifted Carlton's spirits.

Legendary Flathead Ford Racing Series's photo.

We're not done yet.....April 6

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Im gonna borrow this photo from "W" to show everyone who Mike is.