Airing out your tires before the race?? come on

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

I wasnt going to write this but something is bothering me about the idea of it.

Case in point is deliberately putting holes in your tires before a race so you will lose air as they build up pressure from heat.

And I was always checking mine for any little nail or such. And it could get you suspended? Is this the reason they dive into the pits even if they only got 10 laps on them when a caution comes out? Who would be the driller and who would mark the spots? Puzzling to say the least.. Dave you ever heard of this before? A crew member for Brad Keselowski, driver of the <a href=#2 Miller Lite Ford, inspects tires prior to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Ford EcoBoost 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway on November 16, 2014 in Homestead, Florida." class="image loaded" src="http://img.s-msn.com/tenant/amp/entityid/AAa8AqO.img?h=564&w=874&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=2159&y=385" width="624">

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
David Elrod
@david-elrod
9 years ago
12 posts
I have always wondered why nascar doesn't allow bleed valves.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

They soaked 'em in my day, Johnny. Never heard of intentionally puncturing them.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Blane Moon
@blane-moon
9 years ago
113 posts

Soaked the hell out of those belted tires. Aired the right side as big as possible to get the stagger to turn in the corners...and REAL men drove 'em!

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

DON'T THE RACE TIRES HAVE TIRE TEMPERATURE HOLES ON THE TREAD SECTION?
DO THEY TAKE TIRE TEMPERATURE DURING THE RACE?
Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
9 years ago
360 posts

I'm not entirely sure Dennis but I think the holes you're referring to are tread depth holes, to check after a run how much wore off. They don't need holes to measure temperatures, I don't think.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

I'm sure by now that most race fans have heard that NASCAR lowered the boom on the No. 31 car of driver Ryan Newman late Tuesday afternoon after the results of a tire audit.

Crew chief Luke Lambert has been fined $125,000 and suspended from the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship races, plus he's been placed on NASCAR probation through Dec. 31. James Bender, team tire technician, and Philip Surgen, team engineer, also have been suspended for the next six Sprint Cup races and placed on NASCAR probation through Dec. 31. In addition, driver Newman and car owner Richard Childress each have been penalized with the loss of 75 championship driver and championship car owner points.

Let's face it: The best inspectors in our sport are those competitors in the garage area. It was that way even clear back when I was just entering the sport as a crew member. When you start hearing noise about something going on in the garage area and as that noise gets louder with more people making a fuss about it, well, then there's probably something there.

I realize it's probably confusing to race fans as to why a competitor would put a hole in a tire. The answer is complicated while at the same time simple. There is an optimum air pressure that those tires will perform their best and durability will be at its best. There is a graph that Goodyear puts out every week that has a performance line and a durability line on it. There's a point in that graph where those two lines cross. That's the optimum air pressure point when the tire will perform at its best.

The rub is there is no way to maintain that optimum air pressure. That's why you see teams start their tires very low because the tires will gain pressure over the course of a run. Then as the air pressure continues to grow, you get outside that optimum window of good performance. So anything you can do to reduce that pressure gradually will obviously enhance the window of optimum performance.

I think fans need to understand that when I say a team or teams are putting holes in their tires for a gradual reduction of air, I'm talking about holes that are miniscule. These are holes you couldn't even see. Seriously, I'm talking about a 10,000th of an inch size hole.

So NASCAR lowered the boom on the No. 31 car for this very issue. Not only has the No. 31 team received the message but I am sure the entire garage area received a clear signal once again from NASCAR that the Big Three -- engines, fuel and tires -- are not to be tampered with.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE PIT CREWMAN DURING THE RACE ?

HEATING THE RACE TIRE UP WITH GAS TORCH AND SCRAPING THE ASPHALT BUILT-UP OFF THE RACE TIRE.

IS THAT SOME KIND OF RACE TIRE TAMPERING ?

DOES NASCAR HAS SOME KIND RULE ON SCRAPING THE ASPHALT BUILT-UP RACE TIRES ?

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA