RIP Jabe Thomas

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
9 years ago
221 posts

It is with sadness I post here that Jabe Thomas has passed away at the age of 85. There is a real good obituary here .

I have heard lots of good things about Jabe both on here and from other drivers over the years. My condolences go out to Ronnie, Betty, and the rest of Jabe's family

updated by @alex-fl-racing-fan: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

And add my condolences to yours, Alex. Thank you for posting this and for notifying me via text earlier today. Jabe was a special man and was loved by all who knew him. When we inducted him into the RacersReunion Hall of Fame, he gave a speech that kept people in stitches. I talked with him after the induction and he told me that was one of his proudest moments.

At the risk of overlooking someone, I am going to say without Jabe, John Sears, J.D. McDuffie, Earl Brooks, Buddy Arrington, James Hylton, J.T. Putney, Roy Mayne,and a couple dozen more of those independent guys, racing in the sixties and seventies would have been severely lacking.

Rest in peace indeed Jabe. No more "deb--riss" cautions for you.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

Please add my condolences to Ronnie and the family as well. I had the distinct pleasure of being a friend of the 'Clown Prince of NASCAR'. It wasn't all that easy for me when I arrived in NASCAR, and although Jabe never had much himself, he was always willing to share a sandwich, a cookie or a soft drink. He was particularly adept at find low cost eateries when on the road, and would let me tag along on occasion. The very first race car built out of my White Crown Engineering shop was a Vega for Ronnie. It did quite well. Jabe always had a great attitude and had constant smile on his face.

R.I P. my friend.

Devin
@devin
9 years ago
618 posts

Mine too. Very sad news. Thank you for posting, Alex.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
9 years ago
196 posts

Jabe Thomas...rest in peace buddy. The 25 car has just joined the Heaven 500.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Oh my... hadn't heard this sad news. Although from Christiansburg (along with Clyde Lynn) they need to dim the star in Roanoke in Jabe's memory.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Jabe spoke of carburetor plates and equal rights in this video interview from the University of Virginia - WSLS Television National Endowment for the Humanities interview:

http://search.lib.virginia.edu/catalog/uva-lib:2254657

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
9 years ago
820 posts

my sincere condolences to his family and fan's. may he rest in peace..

Jimmy Johnson
@jimmy-johnson
9 years ago
123 posts

So sorry to hear about Jabe's passing, I was in Floyd Va last week doing a show and the Sweeney Brothers were there and our conversation was about Jabe. May he Rest In Peace.

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
9 years ago
214 posts

my condolences go to the family at this time.jabe RIP