21 Performance Dr

Stuart,Va.---24171

Thanks---Harlow Reynolds, Lynchburg,Va.

updated by @harlow-reynolds: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
9 years ago
221 posts

Hopefully Glenn will stick around for a piece of his birthday cake, unlike Dick Passwater. The folks here in Daytona made a surprise birthday cake for Dick two weeks ago as part of the July event.

For those who don't know, Dick will be turning 90 himself on 7-25-2015.

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
9 years ago
221 posts

Separate comment about personal confusion: so many sources (particularly historic NASCAR media guides, newspaper preview, and even US Census Records!) spell it "Glenn." Yet somehow in modern sources, it's spelled "Glen."

Which is correct?

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
9 years ago
242 posts

I'm just a kid ! I'll be 87 on the 29th of July. I knew he was older than me, but I didn't realize how much back in the early 50s when he would lap me in a 10 lap heat race.

Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
9 years ago
214 posts

Glen Droped the n----He said he could sign faster by droping one n

Thanks,

Harlow Reynolds---Lynchburg,Va.-------21

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

All of our contracts between Southland Corporation 7-Eleven and later CITGO with the Wood Brothers were with The Glen (one "N") Wood Co. Many folks even today are surprised to learn that Leonard was always a paid employee and did not own any of the business. Glen later transferred ownership of The Glen Wood Co. to his three children - Eddie, Len and Kim.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Al Pearce once wrote about the 2nd "N" in an article in the Newport News (Va.) Daily Press :

A Legend To The Nth Degree

Al Pearce

June 07, 2002
By AL PEARCE
Daily Press

Glen Wood used to spell his first name with two n's. That's what his mamma and daddy taught him, and he grew up an obedient son.

Somewhere along the way -- he's not exactly sure where or when -- G-L-E-N-N became G-L-E-N, and so it remains to this day. Some speak of him fondly as "One-N Glen.''

"I figured as many autographs as I might sign in my lifetime, I could save a lot of time by quitting after the first 'n,' '' the 77-year-old native of Stuart explained years ago. "It's something most people wouldn't think about, but I did. No telling how much time I've saved since I started doing that. It takes time to make that second 'n.' ''

That's perfect. That's Glen Wood to a T, a man so obsessed with saving time that he shortened his first name. A second here and a second there over 50 years, and pretty soon you're talking about some pretty serious time.

Glen and brothers Leonard, Clay, Delano and Ray Lee were determined to save time. That's why they revolutionized stock car racing in the 1960s, when they raised routine pit service to an art form. They became so good with their "four-and-gas" ballet that Ford Motor Company once hired them to service their cars at Indianapolis and LeMans.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"