Metal Shaping Class Coming to Rock Hill, SC

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

I have been awarded the opportunity to host a world class metal shapers training class at my shop here in Rock Hill, S.C. Peter Tommasini , generally thought of as Australia's finest panel shaper, is coming to the US and putting on six training classes, generally directed at the beginner, but expands to the interests of those in attendance. Peter strated at the age of 14 in Italy, and has done this work to dtae. He is about 65 years old presently.

It is a 4-day class and the tuition is $650. Materials and tools are provided, as is lunch each day. I have attended one of Peters classes and can vouch for his skills at instructing. He primarily uses only a hammer and a wooden stump and the English wheel, so that skills learned at the class. the class will be limited to 8 attendees, and I already have 4 signed up.

I have to pre-pay Peter, so I ask that to secure your spot you provide payment at your earliest opportunity. PayPal to wildcad@comporium.net , or mail to:

Will Cronkrite

1067 Sheraton Way

Rock Hill, S.C. 29732

I will be happy to answer any questions: 803.448.0396.

If you are an auto repair or restorer, there may never be a better opportunity to learn from a world class metal shaper like Peter Tomassini.

Here is a link to my shop: http://mantiquesresto.com/aboutus/ShopTour/ShopTour1.html

Here is a link to Peter's website: http://www.handbuilt.net.au/

I hope this is not out of line on this site. I feel that it might be of some interest to one / others here.

updated by @will-cronkrite: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
9 years ago
1,783 posts

Will, this is really cool. No, this is not out of line at all. I hope you get some takers. You might consider posting this on the Drag racing site as well....and If you would be so inclined to write a 400 to 750 word article about the art of metal shaping, I'll post it on the home page with the same above instructions. I think that would get a lot of reads. Best of luck!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

Thanks, Jeff. I did want it to seem to be an advertisement, but this is a rare opportunity and I wanted my friends to be the first to know about it. I already have four folks signed up, and so four spots remain. This is indeed a rare opportunity to being exposed to one of the worlds 'masters'. I would be more than happy to write a small article for this site. In addition, If some folks would like to get together, I would be willing to open my shop to a group visit.

See above link for some older pictures of the shop that I currently work in.

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

For the Rock Hill class, I have added another attendee:

Now there are five.Three spots remain available.

Attendees:
Logan Douglass
Eric Moore
Teddy Hefner
David Boles
Jimmy Matthews

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

For the Rock Hill class, I have added another attendee:

Now there are six. Two spots remain available.

Attendees:
Logan Douglass
Eric Moore
Teddy Hefner
David Boles
Jimmy Matthews
Scott White

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
9 years ago
1,783 posts

A group visit would be awesome! We should see if we can get that accomplished.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

I remain open to having you folks down at most any time.

I have been quite busy making wooden panel bucks for an aluminum body for a1935 Bugatti Stelvio that is being restored by a friend in Tennessee, and that often requires a trip to fit or measure, so a week or so notice would help me to adjust my schedule, but you all are welcome.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
9 years ago
626 posts

WOW I would love to do it but just don`t have the time right now can`t leave the road for 4 days

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
9 years ago
626 posts

Yes Jeff a group visit sounds good if it could be a weekend

danny whitener
@danny-whitener
9 years ago
47 posts

Will and Jeff, Tim had talked one time about doing an event at Will's shop awhile back. Don't know if he still has it on his mind or maybe just too much on his plate. Would be interesting to me and I know other would enjoy it. You guys take care. Maybe we can get something worked up.

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

You gentlemen work out something, and I will do whatever I can to make it happen.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
9 years ago
626 posts

I will call Tim and see what we can get going on it

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Will, you are THE man. We'll get o work on this. Thank you. As for metal shaping, that is so far above my level on intelligence I would be a miserable failure.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

Gentleman, This is just a follow up for those that are attending this class. It might not be of interest here, but may shed some light on what you expect in the event you are able to make the visit to my shop.

Here is an update for thoseguys attending the rock Hill, S.C. class.

My shop is not huge, but you are welcome to bring a small project if you like. I have plenty of things to work on if you don't have a project of your own.

Day 1 -will include understanding shapes , paper patterns and profiles as well as proper learning of hand shrinking with a stump and various types of tucking forks. I have recently made a number of stumps for the class and am going to share building technics that were learned. In addition one of the attendees is willing to give a stump to anyone who attends the class that wants one.

Day 2 - will be most helpful in getting your head around those single and double reverse curves . Of course all these days will be ,in Peters fashion , interlinked with projects that each have brought. Use of the planishing hammer will most likely be covered this day. I have made wood forming bucks for the inside corners of the rear Model a fenders that will be made available.

Day 3 - will get more involved with the understanding of the wheeling machine and anvil choices as well as correct pressures for correct shaping and washing of the panel for smooth and blended finishes. Peter also has a distinct way of actually shrinking with an English wheel that he will share with us.

Day 4 - will be understanding hand swaging and other advanced techniques as well as hand crafting home made tools, and hopefully some gas steel and aluminum welding instructions.

Coffee will be available in the morning as well as lunch will be provided . There will be ample amounts of refreshments. I have a small supply of sheet steel in 18, 19 and 20gauge in cold roll steel and 1/16" aluminum, so just bring a project or get involved with ones that were brought by others . I have quite a few wooden egg crate bucks and interesting Model A fender projects available to work on as well .

Starting time is 8:00 am and run till 5:00 pm as well as anyone that wishes to stay later and work is more than welcome to . Also anyone coming from a distance that want to take advantage of on grounds camping or electrical hookups, I think I can accommodate you.

As of last night , I believe there to be an opening or possibly two in the Nashville, Minnesota and the Denver classes. PM me for info or look at the first post for more info.

RockHillWill
@will-cronkrite
9 years ago
167 posts

In getting ready for the peter Tommasini class, I needed to have an additional stump. One of the attendees, Jimmy Matthews, had a large selection of wood and offered to provide it for me. In exchange I said that I would help him make one for him as well and maybe get another on cut for my friend Jim Hery. Jimmy cut the lumber to size and made the indentations in the top for his using a cutoff saw with a wood blade. We made a 6" diameter circle and a 3-1/2" one, and he radiused it with that same tool. Jimmy cut the radiused inserted cuts and I finished mine with a chisel and a 5" diameter 36 grit air sander. I made a 1/8" x 1-1/2" 'belt' to minimize future expansion cracking and cut pieces of pipe to hold a hammer or other tool(s). I used a long 3/8" diameter bolt and as I was tightening the bolt, hammered the parts of the strap that did not touch the wood as I continued to tighten the bolt. I had to use some spacers under the nut as the strap got smaller in diameter. The wood is Red Oak. They are about 23" in diameter and about 30" tall.

The larger of the two 'holes' will be shown by Peter to be helpful in forming the leading edge of a front fender and the also for the trailing edge of a rear Model A fender.