A THROWBACK TO 1981 any body remember that year?? At Darlington no less

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

This week in Darlington you may see something that brings back a memory or two..

Cale Yarboroughs car or one that looks real close to the car he drove in 1981 will be entered in the Labor day race.Some may roll their eyes and say Naaaa but here is proof ---- https://youtu.be/mHbY7Upzr4c Watch Dale Earnhardt, Jr.s special edition Valvoline #88Throwback paint scheme come together at Hendrick Motorsports. With the Blue shoes and all

94174883RG022_General-29

RacingOne photo

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 08/05/18 05:51:02PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Of all the Valvoline schemes over the years, the one on Cale's in 81-82 was least memorable. There was only one obvious choice for Dale Jr and HMS to run as a 'throwback' at Darlington - and they blew it.

Tim Leeming won't like this one, but it makes the most sense in my opinion. They could've pulled it off too as Gatorade is owned by Pepsico. Instead, I'm betting the check from Valvoline was bit larger.

Guessing too DW's relationship with Mr. H and Junebug isn't as strong as he'd like.

FromĀ  Statsman

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/07/17 12:26:59PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

lol TMC Chase. At this point I really don't care what HMS does, Dale, Jr. does, NASCAR does, or anyone else. I am so tired of the NASCAR B.S. I'm not even watching it.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Remember this guy from the preDale Sr era

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

How about this old Budweiser painted car

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Or a Awesome Bill look by #1 son

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Anyone remember this look? Embedded image permalink

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Lets not leave the Lady in Black out of this for a new covering Embedded image permalink

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

That same tired Valvoline design followed on over to the Wood Brothers with Buddy Baker and Rahmoc with Neil Bonnett:

By the time newcomer, Jack Roush painted Valvoline on Mark Martin's Fords, the design had been spiffed up a bit:

AND, for whatever reason, the year I went to work for Southland Corp.- 1984 -they and Ford decided to paint all of the 7-Eleven vehicles in all series they ran with a near ripoff of the Valvoline scheme. At the time, I believe Johnny Mallonee's family owned a few 7-Eleven's, so he may have been responsible for the ripoff!

Thomas Craig Collection

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts
Put Kodak on it & you've got something. Otherwise meaningless.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts
Scheme is pitched as a Bill tribute. Except for a partial stripe at the back, no red on the car. 100% fail in planning and execution.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Of course, back in the early 80s, you also had Valvoline colors on the #50 cars prepared by the Ding-A-Ling (Dingman) Brothers for such drivers as Greg Sacks, and later I recall some car I believe Chase had something to do with:

--
Robert Gregory Hendrix
@robert-gregory-hendrix
9 years ago
83 posts

I bet you won't seea throwback to the 1981 Darlington Raceway logo that was on the then frontstretch wall, and can barely be seen in the Yarborough picture.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Ugh. You HAD to do it, didn't you Dave? The COT, Dinger AND the Valvoline rip-off scheme. Glad when all three passed. Saw that version race a handful of times - and 43 ran terribly in all of them.

--
Robert Patterson
@robert-patterson
9 years ago
2 posts

I hadn't been following the throwback deal that closely but do they realize that Cale won the 82 Southern 500 with that Valvoline paint scheme in a thrilling duel with the King who was second that afternoon.I was there (only race I attended that year) and got to go down in the pits after the race Those were the days! I agree that a #88 DW Gatorade paint scheme would have been a logical choice Isn"t Valvoline the official motor oil for the Hendrick stable these days?

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Yes, Valvoline and HMS are joined at the hip. And I get that. Dale Jr. may be the biggest name in racing as a driver. But Big Rick still commands some of the biggest cash inflows and makes the big decisions. Based on this tweet by Ray Evernham's show, I'm convinced Jr's "Cale" throwback was less about a tribute and more about a multi-level marketing program.

Valvoline sponsors HMS.

HMS employs Evernham.

Evernham has a TV show - which also features Hendrick.

I'm guessing Ray restored one of Cale's Buicks (or a close replica). The project will probably be featured in an episode. Valvoline likely chose to advertise not with commercials but with the in-episode signage and such. And then Dale Jr probably shows up at some point with the 2015 "tribute" version.

Nothing to see here kids. Just move along.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Well could that be the winner of Darlington then??

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Speaking of Darlington throwback paint schemes, we'll have to forgive Sam Hornish if he thinks Richard Petty Motorsports has traded him over to Jack Roush and the old Mark Martin Busch Series Winn-Dixie Thunderbird.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

wow now that brings back memories especially of Mark Martin and the Winn Dixie car.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

As a retro and a Petty fan, I hate it. I'm done with RPM's relationship with Roush - and I hope they are too. Wearing my feelings on my sleeve with this one. A trib to Roush? AND to Mark Martin? And to a BUSCH vs. Cup scheme? Sheesh.

On the flip side, I've calmed down.

• One, I know the guy that designed the 9 scheme and even pitched the idea.
  • Two, Smithfield is tied with WD on a B2B deal. Good for them and their $ support of RPM.
  • Three, far better than RPM rolling a 9 tribute of Bill Elliott, Kasey Kahne or Lake Speed / SPAM!

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

SPEAKING OF DALE JR.'S DARLINGTON THROWBACK PAINTED CHEVY LIKED CALE'S 1981 Buick #27 Valvoline RACE CAR.

DID ANYONE NOTICED THE FOLLOWING POST BY The Winston Cup Museum, July 7, 2015 at 11:34am.

SEE BELOW:

"Looking for a car
Posted by The Winston Cup Museum on July 7, 2015 at 11:34am in -GENERAL
Need some help. Looking for a #27 Valvoline Buick or a 81' Buick we can wrap to look like it. Any help would be great."

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/forum/topics/looking-for-a-car?co...

WONDER IF WINSTON CUP MUSEUM RACE CARS BE ALLOWED AT THE DARLINGTON'S NASCAR PRE-RACE ACTIVITIES?
Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Do you really think they will pass prerace inspectionthisday and time? Those crew chiefs were dang good back then -- its taken Nascar and the tec boys to figure out what they thought they were doing back then

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Saw that & immediately honed in on your name BB. Very cool gesture. I've been on the fence about going - and have a ticket available for me if I choose to go. But lots of other stuff happening. Pretty low odds that I'll pull the trigger and make the haul from middle TN.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

That's cool, Billy. Enjoy yourself!

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

And not to be lefy out Goodyear is getting into the act too. At least a couple of rusty drawers may have been opened over this race --

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

How about a Ford being Sponsored by a Corvettes parts distributor

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Anyone remember this look from back in the day?

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Even the outside walls are getting a facelift

Blane Moon
@blane-moon
9 years ago
113 posts

Is the start-finish line going back to the original location? Can I get my favorite seat in the Robert E. Lee grandstand?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

What would have been really neat would be if they'd brought their old treaded Goodyear Blue Streak Stock Car Specials!

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

O yeah anyone see the new Go Zone at Darlington??

NASCAR is testing a new design of its restart zone in this weekends Xfinity and Sprint Cup series races at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway.

Currently the restart zone, which begins at the end of Turn 4 and marks the area where the race leader restarts the race, is marked with double red hash marks and concludes with a single red hash mark.

To highlight the area for fans, drivers and NASCAR officials, the area between the hash marks is highlighted with green colors from sponsor American Ethanol and the words Go Zone.

NASCAR redesigns its restart zone

Blane Moon
@blane-moon
9 years ago
113 posts

Really? Nascar.....one big ad agency!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Goodyear may not have brought Blue Streaks to race. But the Wood Brothers brought a mounted one to show folks. Even Dale Inman was interested.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Good for the Wood Brothers! Cool stuff. That's what I'm talking about!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Great to see Billy Biscoe get some air time - though he did get skipped over between interviews of Barry Dodson and Richie Barz. Guess they wanted him just for his good looks.

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/07/17 12:29:34PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Shoot, Billy is even a Twitter celeb!

--
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
9 years ago
820 posts

just a good thing to see our R/R friend Billy B getting to meet up with his crew and enjoy some time in the spotlight again..you go Billy....

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Actually I relived the good ole days along with you Billy, only thing I can attest is that group of guards around kept the trash away (I couldnt even get close to you). But really a throwback it was. I had to just find a corner several times to get my composure back. -------------------- Memories!

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

For folks having a hard time reading Billys post,at least I did, right click on it like you are going to copy it and it will highlite it

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Ayone remember these twogentlemenat Darlington??

Displaying WP_20150907_001.jpg

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Or how about this car covered with throwback photos

Displaying WP_20150907_002.jpg

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

A nd another cool photo where Carls pitcrew temporarly changed the name of Darlington

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

And how about a little humor thrown at Kyle Petty "Gotta Love it"

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

A pit crew worth a Million

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee